Registered
22,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorana starts things in the MD of Shenzhen:

(1) Radwanska vs (WC) Duan
Kucova vs Cirstea
Pironkova vs Voskoboeva
(8)Riske vs (WC)Zhu

Sorana's 2016 season was a success—she finished ranked #80, her best showing since 2013. Can she continue her upward trajectory in 2017?

Reactions: Rads101

·
7,502 Posts
Won a close one with Kučová - 63 46 64 - in a bit of a roller coaster (much like all our Romanian girls these past couple of days... but at least Sori won hers): went to 3-0 in the decider, even had game point on her serve for 4-0, but then lost the serve and let Kučová win the 4 games in a row; then regrouped to win the match.

Next is Radwanska, so I guess this is where Shenzhen stops for her.

Well, at least she started the year with a win. :)

·
Registered
9,225 Posts
As usual Sori made some amazing shots at times, hit blistering winners... but overall Radwanska just outplayed her. Basically a double bagel with a small run of games for Sori in the middle :hug:

Shenzhen Open (CHN)
R16: (1)Agnieszka Radwanska (POL) d. Sorana Cirstea (ROU) 60 63

Nest for Sorana: Kooyong Classic, with Lisicki, Quing Wang and Aiava.
http://kooyongclassic.com.au/player-field/

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
Shocked at that racket smash :eek: . Also funny :) . Don't remember seeing any of the Romanian girls doing it like that in the last years. Halep was the closest lately, but she just broke a string or two at most.

Wickmayer replaced Lisicki in Kooyong. IDK if it's the best decision, instead of going for qualies in Sydney, but we'll see.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I see Sorana beat Destanee Aiava 6-1 7-6 at Kooyong yesterday. Not a bad win.

She will play the winner of Wickmayer and Wang Qiang.

What's the deal with the Kooyong Classic, anyway? This is just an exhibition where the players can earn a bit of money, I guess?

·
Registered
22,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AO draw:

(10)Carla Suárez Navarro v Jana Cepelova
Irina Khromacheva v Sorana Cirstea
Alison Riske v Madison Brengle
Q v (20)Shuai Zhang

GL to her!

Reactions: Rads101

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
Beat Aiava in Kooyong Exhibition. Lost to Wickmayer (playing only one set though 4-6) .

Pretty decent draw in Melbourne. I don't think I ever saw Khromacheva play though. Should be beatable anyways, but everything is possible :hysteric: .

·
Registered
22,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ran over Irina, 2 & 1.

·
Registered
9,225 Posts
Such a good match by Sorana :hearts: Really happy for her that she's winning grand slam matched again... deserves this so much :awww:

She will face Carla next who didn't really show any signs of an injury during her match but admitted afterwards that she fells pain and it's hard for her to serve. I don't know what to think... but Sori actually won all three H2H matches on hard, although all in ITF and last one was exactly 10 years ago in 2007 :eek:

An article with some quotes after the match (she came in front of the reporters with a big bag of ice on her shoulder but said it's nothing, just her normal post-match routine): Coresponden?? de la Melbourne - Victorie cu sacrifiu pentru Sorana Cîrstea. Românca a povestit ce trebuie s? fac? zilnic pentru a putea juca tenis | adevarul.ro

·
Registered
9,225 Posts
Big win for Sori 76(1) 63 over Carla to reach the third round in Melbourne :woohoo:
Took full advantage of playing Carla who was not fully fit and missing quite a lot. Still, first set was competitive throughout, with Sorana playing a great TB to win it :worship:

Plays Riske next who looks to be in a great form atm, so good luck Sori :cheer:

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Been a while since she was the last Romanian standing in a Slam. Nice to have her start the year off well & GL in round 3 :cheer:

·
Registered
805 Posts
Well done, Sori! :clap2:
I couldn't stay awake for the match as I was worn out from the previous two nights. I see she managed to keep her one hold lead in the 2nd set.:lol:

·
Registered
9,225 Posts
What Sori had to say after the match: INTERVIU de la Melbourne cu Sorana Cîrstea, care explic? secretul revenirii din cariera ei: ?Disciplin? ?i consisten??!? | adevarul.ro

What did coach Marius Comanescu change for you?
He imposed discipline and balance. He always tells me that the ball plays, but the score. I used to rush sometimes at some balls, I was impatient to finish the point. Now however it can't go on like that. Tennis has changed and everyone hits good. You need to have consistency and to prepare the last shot. I feel very good with him, ever since he's my coach, for a year and a half, and I think that it was the best choice. I want stability.
:yeah:
She's definitely much more patient since her injury. Really looks like it was good for her to split from the fancy-schmancy Las Vegas Adidas team with Cahill and Groenefeld and all, who insisted she should mostly play baseball and hit every single ball as strong as possible until she ultimately destroyed her shoulder :(

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Really looks like it was good for her to split from the fancy-schmancy Las Vegas Adidas team with Cahill and Groenefeld and all, who insisted she should mostly play baseball and hit every single ball as strong as possible until she ultimately destroyed her shoulder :(
All these nice articles from Australia :cheer: I will say that while the Adidas training program did not work out for Sori in the long run, am not entirely sure the baseball swings were all outside ideas. They definitely should have done more to reign that in, since her best results always came when she played patient tennis and mixed up her shot selection, like in Toronto, but I wouldn't go as far as to say they insisted she play that way. Am pretty sure she enjoyed her BBB glory days :p. Unless there are other interviews that I'm not aware of and she mentioned being forced into that playing style? Just find that hard to reconcile with the way she played.

Either way, it's nice to see her go back to being patient and playing smart(er) tennis. She's always great to watch when on.

·
Registered
9,225 Posts
I might have exaggerated for effect there a bit with the "insisted" part but obviously they did "mold" her game and my point in a nutshell would be that Sori's best result still remains the '09 Roland Garros QF (so on clay...) and her only title '08 Taskent, so before she joined the baseball program and she was still playing more conventional type of tennis, that you would naturally learn growing up on romanian clay courts. I also agree she enjoyed those times, who wouldn't enjoy such opportunity to work with some of the best coaches and players in the world but I think most people would agree, even with the Toronto run, she didn't live up to her potential in that period. Sorana also puts this on immaturity from her part so... who knows, maybe things will starting clicking for her now that she seems to have a much improved attitude :)

·
Registered
22,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorana :yeah:

First time in the third round since RG 2014, and at the AO, 2013.

H2h against Alison Riske, 2-0.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Sorana in the 4th round.:cheer: I didn't see this coming.

She was excellent in the first set. Got a little tight in the 2nd as Riske upped her game, but then broke at love at 5-6 and played a great TB.

Muguruza or Sevastova next.

1 - 20 of 168 Posts