281 - 296 of 296 Posts

·
Banned
17,826 Posts
Good on her! :yeah: Earns my respect.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Interview with her on Treizecizero, Romanian tennis blog. https://www.treizecizero.ro/news/exclusiv-sorana-cirstea-am-inceput-sa-lucrez-cu-kim-clijsters-si-sunt-foarte-incantata-simt-ca-e-un-nou-inceput-pentru-mine

Couple of highlights

Was your win over Rybarikova the best match of the year? The most complete. This season I felt I wasn't playing badly, but I couldn't maintain my beginning level until the end of the match. I had a lot of matches lately that I lost up a set and a break; I've been feeling like my game is there, but I couldn't close out matches. Things finally clicked today.

How were things and how did you prepare after RG?
It was a difficult time, of course (laughs). I was up a set at Roland Garros playing Gavrilova, outplaying her and I don't know what happened and how I lost that match. But I had enough strength of character to get back to training. Even though I was still in the doubles draw, I would do my normal singles training sessions. Then when I came back home I had one week of strength training, a mini-boot camp. In the end, you need to get back to work when times are tough, there's no other way around it.Things won't turn in your favour if you sit on the cough watching TV (laughs)

Any changes in your team?
After Roland Garros I ended my colaboration with my coach over the past 3 years, Marius Comănescu, and we ended things on a very good note. I have a personal relation with him as well; he's been like a father figure to me these past few years. We had three very good years but I felt the need for a change and told myself now's the time. And now I work with Kim Clijsters and Carl Maes (Kim's coach from 1996-2002 and 2011-2012). We started working together on Monday, last week, when I got here. I'm extremely pleased since Kim was my idol and when I started looking for a coach she was my first option; my first thought. Am very happy things worked out and I'm incredibly pleased [she did say 'incredibly pleased' about three times] to have her by my side, on court and look at her in important moments and see how she cheers me on. It means a lot to me and for right now I'm very pleased looking towards the future.

Hopefully things work out with the new coach :cheer:. Kim won't be traveling to all her tournaments, but there are plans to have someone from their academy take that on.

·
Registered
52,809 Posts

·
Registered
13,753 Posts
Dupa 12 ani de jucat pentru Romania,a venit momentul sa imi anunt oficial retragerea din echipa nationala de Fed Cup.

La 16 ani si 14 zile am jucat primul meci,fiind si astazi cea mai tanara debutanta din istoria tarii noastre!

Am reprezentat cu mandrie si onoare tricolorul de fiecare data cand am avut ocazia!

Simt ca mi-am facut datoria si acum este momentul sa predau stafeta noii generatii!

As vrea sa multumesc cu aceasta ocazie colegelor de echipa,federatiei,capitanilor,antrenorilor si celor care au pus umarul la succesul nostru! Dar mai ales romanilor care m-au sustinut atat de frumos de-a lungul anilor!

Cu drag,
Sorana Cirstea
https://www.facebook.com/Soranacirstea/posts/2420644221285178

·
Registered
52,809 Posts
This article about her retirement from Fed Cup was not posted. Sad :sad:

https://www.fedcup.com/en/news/298456.aspx

Cirstea announces Fed Cup retirement

12 Dec 2018

Romania’s Sorana Cirstea has announced that she will no longer compete in Fed Cup by BNP Paribas, drawing her 12-year career in the competition to a close.

Addressing her fans through her Facebook page, Cirstea, who made her debut for Romania at just 16 years of age, said that she had “been representing my country with pride and honour every time I had a chance to play.”

“I feel like I have done my duty,” she continued. “And now is the time to pass the relay baton onto the new generation.”

Cirstea became the youngest player ever to represent Romania when she took to the court aged 16 years 14 days against Sweden in a Europe/Africa Zone Group I clash in 2006.

Since then, the 28-year-old has gone on to represent her country in 19 ties, boasts an impressive 11-6 win-loss record in singles, and holds a 16-13 win-loss record in the competition overall.

She concluded on Facebook, “I would like to thank my teammates, the Federation, the captains, the coaches and everyone who was involved in our success, and especially the Romanian crowd that has been supporting me over the years.”
Here the link to her Fed Cup profile where you can see her matches/stats:

https://www.fedcup.com/en/players/player.aspx?id=800252545

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Wow... that is arguably the best and in-detail interview with a tennis player I've ever read :eek: So odd it comes from a random blog rather then from a newspaper or a genuine journalist :eek:

Anyway, again great interview. I knew Sorana was smart and with a high IQ (at least outside the court :sobbing:) and you can really see that in this interview. I really hope it works out for her in the next period of time, for sure I'm more optimistic about her season now, especially if what she says about her serve turns out to be accurate :cheer:

·
Registered
52,809 Posts
281 - 296 of 296 Posts