·
Registered
739 Posts
Press conference from today:
S. CÎRSTEA./J. Jankovic

6‑3, 0‑6, 9‑7

An interview with:

SORANACÎRSTEA

THE MODERATOR: Questions in English, please.

Q. Last two wins, two top 10 players. What's the feeling?

SORANA CÎRSTEA: Of course it's a great feeling, and the mostimportant is that I'm happy with my game and the way I'm playing. I hope I can keep up like this, and hope it'sjust the beginning.

Q. What do you think was the key point today?

SORANA CÎRSTEA: First of all, I really wanted to win. Maybe I wanted too much in the first set andI wasn't playing the right way. I was alittle nervous. But then after I losethe first set, I said, I have nothing to lose. I just need to relax.

I did that until theend of the third set when I started to get again nervous because it was animportant match for me and was the first time I was playing fourth round.

I really wanted to win, but I think I wastrying to take control of all the points and just stay aggressive.

Q. Didyou notice that in the stands there were Ion Tiriac, Illie Nastase, andVirginia Ruzici watching you?

SORANA CÎRSTEA: Yeah, when I was coming for my match, I sawMr. Nastase. He said he was comingfor my match, so I knew he was there. Virginia, she just sentme a message after my match. I also knewshe was there. And Mr. Tiriac, I didn'tsee him. I'm happy he was also there.

Q. You seem to feel quite comfortable on the big court and everything. Do you like the big stage?

SORANA CÎRSTEA: Yeah. I always said that I love playing on big courts, because I love having alot of people supporting me and big crowds. That motivates me a lot.

I mean, at the end theatmosphere was unbelievable, and I think that was a good thing, also, because Ifelt the crowd was with me and that gave me more energy.

Q. It seemed like at times your legs were about to give out, so what didyou tell yourself? Just keep going evenif I fall down? Doesn't matter?

SORANA CÎRSTEA: Exactly. I mean, of course it wasn't easy at the end. I was getting tight, and I started to feel inmy hamstring. I was just trying to jumparound.

I was looking on theother side, and I saw she was tired, also. So I knew it was also a little bit mental who is going to stay stronger,and I was just trying, you know, to keep the energy coming and just try to hitand keep the points shorter.

Q. It seemed like you were in charge of the points. You were being more aggressive. So did you feel like the match was yours todecide?

SORANA CÎRSTEA: Exactly. I mean, my game was always to hit since I was really young. I always thought I'm a hard hitter. And also today I was trying to takecontrol. Even if I was winning somepoints and losing, I was always trying, you know, to take control. I think when I did that, I was winning.

Q. You just talked about when you were young. You're still young. Can you talk about the development of yourgame? Were you able to stay at home todevelop your game? Did you have to leave? Who were your big influences?

SORANA CÎRSTEA: I mean, I grew up in Romania, and I started tennis whenI was four. That was a new thing for Romania,because never happen before. I startedplaying because of Steffi Graf. I sawher on TV all the time.

I mean, I always wantedto be professional. I always wanted belike her since I was really young. Iremember always like focusing and trying to take tennis serious.

Now I'm at a level that honestly I washoping one day, and I mean, it's good to be here.

Q. Alsowhen someone like yourself that's not that well‑known breaks through at a GrandSlam there is a lot of attention. All ofa sudden someone wants to know your life story. Are you ready for that?

SORANA CÎRSTEA: I think I'm ready. I prefer having good results with attentionand having no results and no attention. So I think everything comes together, and I hope I can handleeverything.

Q. Some other players of your generation like Wozniacki or Radwanska,Azarenka were in the top 20 by the end of last season, and then you were behindthem. Was it encouraging for you to seethem doing so well? Because you are ofthe same age.

SORANA CÎRSTEA: Exactly. I mean, I'm the same age like Caroline, and I'm one year younger thanVictoria or Agnieszka. We grew upplaying juniors together and we know each other so well. Of course, it's inspiring to see them upthere, because it gives you also more ‑‑ you think that you can do it.

But I think for me wasa little harder, because I wanted things happening too fast, you know. I think the best thing for me lately is I'mtrying to have more patience and taking the wins and the lose the same.

Just working hard, you know. Because before I wanted things too fast, andI was little disappointed when they weren't happening.

Q. Thefact that you were in the adidas team with Sven Groeneveld and Caroline, is itsomething very important for you?

SORANA CÎRSTEA: Of course. I mean, you don't find this too often in tennis, and adidas has thisplayer development program which is unbelievable. They have done so much for me.

Lately I have beenworking with Sven Groeneveld and Darren Cahill, and they've helped me alot. I feel my game is improving.

And also Caroline, she's my best friend onthe tour. We spend a lot of timetogether. It's great to be on a team,because tennis is a long sport. So whenyou feel you belong to something, it's better.

Q. Youface Samantha Stosur from Australiain your next round. Do you know muchabout her, and are you expecting another tough match?

SORANA CÎRSTEA: I mean, of course I expect a tough match,because just seven players left except me. I mean, they're all playing great, because they're playing good ifthey're here.

I know she's a greatplayer with a great experience, and she's very talented and it will be a hardmatch, but I hope I can keep the same and just focus on my side.

Q. We've seen you play on the court. Can you tell us about you offcourt, like what kind of person are you?

SORANA CÎRSTEA: That's a hard question. I mean, just saying a few words. It's tough, because I think I'm a little bitdifferent than all the others. Off thecourt I have a lot of things. I'm stillin last year of high school, so I'm still studying a little bit. I have a lot of passions, so...

I mean, it's good tohave something you can get out when you want to have some relaxing time.

Q. When did you stop going to school full‑time in Romania and started doingindependent study?

SORANA CÎRSTEA: I'm going to a normal high school, so I'vealways been traveling, you know, like since I was eight, but like first likesmall level and then I was traveling more and more.

But I always kept goingto a normal school and normal class and the teachers, when I'm not there, theyknow I'm in tournaments. Now they cansee me on TV. They know I'm notsomewhere else.

I'm going to finish this year high schooland then it's going to be easier.

Q. Soare you a very good student?

SORANA CÎRSTEA: I'm trying. (laughter.) I'm trying. Because Ithink it's nice, you know, just to have something different to focus besidestennis.

Q. What do you like to study?

SORANA CÎRSTEA: I like English, honestly.

Q. So English reading or English speaking?

SORANA CÎRSTEA: Both. And of course I like geography because I'mtraveling so much, and it makes really things easier for me. Yeah, I like also Romanian and I thinkeverything, because it's interesting.

Q. So you read a lot? What's yourfavorite book?

SORANA CÎRSTEA: I do read a lot, but now I'm reading allthese Romanian authors because I have to study for my exam. In my spare time I like to read a lot, and Ilike thrillers and action, so...

Q. What I wanted to ask you, what you had a passion, but he asked you 10 differentquestions, so now I know everything. Just let me know if you have a boyfriend so we know something new.

SORANA CÎRSTEA: Yeah, I already ‑‑ I mean, no, I don'thave any boyfriend.

Q. Have you been studying during your time here?

SORANA CÎRSTEA: Honestly I haven't been studying thisweek. I think I was just trying to focuson Roland Garros. I can study after Ifinish the tournament again.

Q. When are your exams?

SORANA CÎRSTEA: Before US Open.
http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/interviews/2009-06-01/200906011243885933203.html So cute! :hearts::hearts:

·
Registered
50,589 Posts
:hearts:

·
Registered
9,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:inlove:

Working with Sven Groeneveld AND Darren Cahill! I hope that can continue because they are both outstanding coaches! :eek:

·
Registered
11,375 Posts
Hey, that's a very nice little interview. :D She's looking (and sounding, with that girlish voice of hers) very cute in the video.

Q. What I wanted to ask you, what you had a passion, but he asked you 10 differentquestions, so now I know everything. Just let me know if you have a boyfriend so we know something new.

SORANA CÎRSTEA: Yeah, I already ‑‑ I mean, no, I don'thave any boyfriend.
Ah, the age-old question. The one the press needs to ask whenever a young, attractive player suddenly finds herself in the spotlight.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hey, that's a very nice little interview. :D She's looking (and sounding, with that girlish voice of hers) very cute in the video.

Ah, the age-old question. The one the press needs to ask whenever a young, attractive player suddenly finds herself in the spotlight.
If she'll get through the Final I'll ask her to marry me ;):hearts::hearts::D

·
Registered
50,589 Posts

·
Registered
50,589 Posts
Ilie:yeah:

·
Registered
446 Posts
Sorana speaks Spanish? :eek:

Coached by Alina Tecsor; fitness coach is Teo Cercel. Introduced to tennis at age 4 by mother, Liliana and father, Mihai; brother, Mihnea, is five years her junior. Full name is Sorana Mihaela Cirstea. Speaks Romanian, English and Spanish and is studying French. Likes all surfaces; favorite shot is forehand. Enjoys playing all ball sports, going shopping, watching movies, reading, doing crosswords and looking after her two parrots. Favorite cities are New York and London ("big cities with lots to do"). Self-described as ambitious, stubborn and happy. Most admires Steffi Graf. Goal is to reach Top 10.

·
Registered
225 Posts
http://www.gsp.ro/sporturi/tenis/ilie-nastase-sa-inceapa-cu-top-10-apoi-poate-ajunge-si-numarul-unu-mondial-141482.html

Ilie Nastase: "My advice for her is to play double as well, in this way she could get trained much better. She should also think first to reach top ten and afterwards she will be able to become number 1 in the world. She barely won one tournament, it's difficult to pronounce ourselves now about her. In my opinion Sorana should wear shorter dresses in the next tournaments " :D lol

I think Nastase would kiss her too. :D

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Why did nastase advice her to wear shorter dresses?? isn't her current one comfortable enough or is nastase looking forward to see more of her butt lol??!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Why did nastase advice her to wear shorter dresses?? isn't her current one comfortable enough or is nastase looking forward to see more of her butt lol??!
Nastase is still twisted, like in the years he played. Very funny guy! :D

But I wouldn't mind the case in which Sorana would really take his advice and wear such dresses. :hearts::hearts::hearts:

·
Registered
50,589 Posts
Ilie:cool:
My great aunt always liked him. I never even know people in my family ever have heard of him:lol:

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
here are a few recent articles about Sorana.. I've used google trante to translate them with few modifications..

GSP.ro Sorana Cirstea combines these days training with examination evidence Baccalaureate

Sorana interrupted U.S. Open Series tournaments to give the Baccalaureate. She came into the country immediately after being eliminated from Cincinnati. "I'm sorry I had to interrupt this series because I play well. I would have liked to be in Toronto and New Haven, but I missed the session because of summer tournaments, was not the case. It is better to him give now, as I still have fresh in mind all the information, "said Sorana. After going to Romanian and French, oral, written test yesterday came among the Romanian language and literature, which acknowledges it was the fear. Subject Soran allowed to choose to write about "Enigma Otiliei" novel that she read during the Roland Garros site. "I wrote about seven pages. More joking, more seriously, teachers have told me to stop," added Sorana. Three exems have passed, there are still three, Geography, Sports and English.

A week and a half is too much pause for a tennis player, so yesterday, after having passed the exam emotions, came to Bucharest to train. "In Tirgoviste I don't have hard court. I would have been easier", she added. In addition to the box of balls, two bags with racquets, Sorana had with her several books.

Friday, she will leave to U.S. to attend the U.S. Open, where she will be on the single main draw, and on the double, with Caroline Wozniacki. For the last Grand Slam tournament of the year, which begins on August 31, Sorana has a certain objective. "I want to be healthy and playing very well," she said. Enough for on important result.

She changed the shoes
When he came into the country, Sorana had to do a MRI to see what was happening to her right leg. "Everything is fine. I changed many surfaces this year. Plantar fasciata is a very common disease encountered at such times. And hard kill you, 'said Sorana. To escape these problems, it changed sports shoes, choosing one with higher sole, which mitigates the surface effects. Sorana was injured in the tournament in Los Angeles, where he reached the semifinals, but because of medical problems could not move very well.

Next Asia
When you enter during the U.S. Open, Sorana will lead to Amsterdam and then will go to Asia to attend the tournament in Seoul, Tokyo and Beijing. Depending on the results of these three contests, she will attend or not to Linz or Moscow. Then will follow one month free.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
an interview with her (24.08.2009)

Adevarul.ro Sorana Cârstea "I can beat anybody!"

Climbed 23 WTA place, the best ranking of her career, Sorana Cârstea (19 years) is very optimistic before the tournament in U.S. Open, which starts next week. After the good developments in recent tournaments, Sorana declare confident that she can beat any of the top players in the world.

Truth Sports: Did you prepare for U.S. Open disturbed that you Baccalaureate in this period?

Sorana Cârstea: School is important to me and had to make this sacrifice. But it is a little strange to make commuting between America and Romania, with books with you. I finish the Bac Wednesday and Thursday go to the U.S. Open, where I was, unfortunately, I'll have only a few days of accommodation.

You had a fantastic series of tournaments. It will help to approach this tournament in U.S. Open with bold objectives?

I've matured a lot and I feel I already play to another level. I worked hard in training and physical side and this gives results. I've got the shots and the force, this chapter is important when you whant to beat the top players. Frankly, I think I can beat anyone at this time. I hope I can prove this to the U.S. Open, where the cream of the tennis world comes.

How influenced boarding the top 25? Feel that the world looks different to the tours now?

I have another presence for sure, the people already know me. This gives me a good moral, but I'm aware that I have a lot to improve. I want 2010 to make a leap to top 10 and I think I can do this because I have not many points to defend in the start of the season.

Monica Niculescu exceed you the standings doubles and is nearly the top 20. How do you see competition with your former partner?

There is not a competition. She focuses more on the doubles, while I'm a simple player. I attend doubles just for fun and to improve my game to the net. The U.S. Open will be paired with Carol Wozniacki and hope to make a beautiful figure.

At Roland Garros and Wimbledon you have been encouraged by your parents in the stands. Come and the U.S. Open?

Mom was with me to the series of tournaments on cement in America, but now my parents will stay home because they are busy with business. In addition, I have with me all Adidas team, led by coaches Sven Groeneveld, Darren Cahill and Gyl Reyes, who takes care of my physical preparation. Anyway, I grew more and do not need to go with Mommy hand to hand all over(laughs) ....

Have you set timing until the end of the year?

Yes, largely. After U.S. Open I will lead a week to Amsterdam and then I'll go to a series of tournaments in Asia, in Seoul, Tokyo and Beijing. Depending on the results here, I will then decide if I participate in Linz or Moscow.

What expectations of the tournaments in Asia?

The first time I attend there and have some emotions. From what I've talked to other players, is very well in Asia because the organization is excellent and the athletes are treated royally. Unfortunately, there are always problems with accommodating the time zone. It will be an interesting experience anyway and wait to get there.

She dream of an exotic holiday with adversarele

At the end of October, Sorana plans to take a month vacation to relax after the season of her career loaded.

Partner of fun will be just some of adversaries they won on the field this year, Denmark's Caroline Wozniacki (center) (double her teammates, no. 8 WTA) and the Polish sisters Urszula (left) and Agnieska Radwanska (right ) (No. 13 WTA). "We are good friends among us, although we duel on the field several times this year. We want to go somewhere in an exotic island, where we isolate the courts for some time. We have not yet figured where to go were focus each for the U.S. Open, but we have time to make our program " dream with open eyes Sorana Cârstea.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Jump to the head! [in romanian seed payer = cap de serie (head of series) so the title it's a play of words]

Romanians are people with head. And not anyway, but to the major Grand Slam tournaments. Series head to Wimbledon, Victor Hanescu (28) and Sorana Cirstea (24) are again on the favorites list at the U.S. Open, the last Grand Slam tournament of the year.

Romania had no such representation nor male nor female for almost ten years. Then, Ruxandra Dragomir, Irina Spîrlea, Andrei Pavel were on the list of heads of series. "It is sensational for Romanian tennis to have such occurrences. Sorana Cirstea and Victor Hanescu can accede without problems until 4R of the U.S. Open. With a little luck, beyond 4R ", said the FRT president, Ruxandra Dragomir, who is convinced that the playing surface at the U.S. Open will benefit greatly by Sorana.

The results during the last period brought Victor Hanescu and Sorana Cirstea in one aspect more than pleasant. Highest ranked Romanian in the global hierarchy hopes to honor their status as heads of series at the U.S. Open. Hane remained connected to American breeze and play the tournament in New Haven, where the tour of three .... Austrian Meltzer, score ...[this part was writen before the match with Meltzer..]

Sorana came to the country but to give the Baccalaureate exam. It starts today in New York determined to show that she's not randomly trying to enter the top 20 players in the world. "I do not make trouble with time zone, even if I returned to the country. In two days I will be back on track. I want to climb in the ATP rankings, but I'm not in a hurry. I take it one step at the time. I have more to show. In time the experience will come and then I will be a complete player, "said the 19 years youngster, which promises to show. "I will show a quality tennis, wherever I play. In central or secondary courts, Sorana completed.

She completed the baccalaureate
High school graduation exam was not a challenge for Sorana. She w3asn't nervous. And that was because she prepared well for it. "Okay, I finished with the baccalaureate. Last test I had in English, where I think I did well. I do not worry about the outcome. Waiting on Friday to find out what will be my final grade said Sorana. Moreover, before the exam she gave autographs to her colleagues.

"The best thing I did in geography. Long journeys on which I made the tournament every continent helped me much ", Sorana Cirstea[/QUOTE

·
Registered
50,589 Posts
Thanks ;)

1 - 20 of 296 Posts