Tennis Forum banner
201 - 206 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
You know Magnus has had two very serious surgeries in his career. He had to have heart surgery early on and managed to come back from that to do very well. He couldn't exercise for the longest time. And then with this injury, it was awful. He said that when he lay in the hospital bed in so much pain, he didn't see how he could ever play tennis again. He had to exercise only in the pool for three months. He couldn't put any weight on his feet at all.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Yeah, Nadal looks like a big kid, but on court he's mature. He's not disrespectful to either the opponent or the umpire/linejudges, he's a fighter and doesn't give up easily, he's emotional, but he doesn't panic or get down on himself, though he's critical of his mistakes,... And he loves the game! Of course he's young, but that's always great to see. I enjoy watching people who find great joy in what they do.

Are you from Sweden Starr?

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
starr said:
You know Magnus has had two very serious surgeries in his career. He had to have heart surgery early on and managed to come back from that to do very well. He couldn't exercise for the longest time. And then with this injury, it was awful. He said that when he lay in the hospital bed in so much pain, he didn't see how he could ever play tennis again. He had to exercise only in the pool for three months. He couldn't put any weight on his feet at all.
Yes, I've been reading up on him since I got back from Umag. It's amazing what he's been through. One day he was on top of the world, and next thing he knew he was tumbling down the mountainside. Right now, I would like nothing more than to see him winning again. He was delighted when he won the hard-fought marathon 3-set match in the first round, finally breaking his 10-match losing streak. :D And then he fought his way to the QF, where Nadal was just too good for him, but he played well. If he continues to improve, who knows. I admire him for hanging in there and not giving up. :)

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
Layla said:
Are you from Sweden Starr?
No. That's why I had to puzzle out what they were saying about Nadal in the Swedish press. I've never had a class in Swedish so I have to work at it. When I first started reading the Swedish papers on-line for news on the Swedish players it was quite a struggle. I've gotten better, but still....... There are parts that I have to guess at. There seem to be a lot of different meanings for one simple word in Swedish. :)

I read an interview with Magnus about his surgery. It was pretty sad.

Are you living in Croatia? or how did you come to be at Umag, and at the players' party too???

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
No, I'm from Slovenia. Since Umag is only about 150 km from my hometown, I decided to go there for a "vacation". I bought the tickets a month in advance :lol: bought a tent and was camping out in a camp right next to the courts. It was a blast. The party was open for everyone (and free), it was held in an open-air bar/club right next to the centre court, and the players partied there almost every night (though I didn't), so I had a chance to dance right next to some of my favorite players. :D Not that they noticed me or anything. ;)

About Magnus, yes that interview about him crying alone in his bed was heartbreaking. :sad: I'm glad he's at least through the worst of it and is competing again.

lol, I actually did take Swedish for a year but I've completely forgotten everything. I recently had the urge to refresh my knowledge though. ;) As well as finally learn Spanish. :)

201 - 206 of 206 Posts