Rosett-(4)Nalbandian

(5)Volandri-Puerta
Ramirez-Knowle
Matkowski-Blanco
Portas-(2)Moya

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
If Ferrero has any pride, he'll pull out of this event now and spend more time practising on hardcourts in preparation for Montreal. I mean, look at that field - Mutis is seeded, for heaven's sake! I can hardly believe Coria's going to play for three straight weeks on clay given that he's just won his last two tournaments, either...

·
Premium Member
182,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Carlos better lose early too
its pointless
wish he was in Washington, LA is really too far to go but either he should have taken a week off or played there.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I think that is a great opportunity for Polish's people to see some cracks like Moya, Coria or a grand's slam winner in action in their country. :)

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Thus far, it appears Coria and Ferrero are on course to meet in the semis. Ferrero has had more problems with his finger since Wimbly, though, so I wouldn't be surprised if he pulled out or lost to Coria in the semis (can't really see him losing any earlier).

Meanwhile, it appears my other favorite in this draw, Kratochvil, will finally have a chance to win more than one round. Best of luck to him, though if he makes the quarters like he can he won't be able to play TMS Canada qualies :(

·
Registered
365 Posts
What kind of injury does Juanqui have at his finger ?

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Aleta -- I don't know. Here are his comments after playing those two matches back to back:

WHAT THE PLAYERS SAID:
Ferrero (After his win over Saretta): "I feel confident, but I’m not playing my very best tennis. I am doing some mistakes but I will try to improve my game during this tournament."

"I had problems with a finger after Wimbledon. I couldn’t play for 12 days. This is my first tournament after Wimbledon."

About leading the 2003 ATP Champions Race: "This match was very important for me to win. It’s the second time I am No. 1 in the Race. It means that I have played well in all tournaments. I have to play at this level in all tournaments."

About the possibility of becoming No. 1 in the ATP Entry Ranking: "I will try to take the lead there as well. For this, I have to win this tournament. I would be the No. 1 in the world for the first time."

About Thomas Muster’s return to tennis: "I think it’s great for him. He was out of tennis for a long time. He doesn’t have to travel that much. If he can come back to the Senior tour, maybe he can come back to the normal tour as well. Maybe I will have the opportunity to play him. I have never played against him. I only saw him in Casablanca when I played my first and he his last tournament."

(After his Loss Against Zabaleta): "I wasn’t tired. I think he play good and I played one of my worst matches. I don’t know why. He started very aggressive and played with a lot of confidence. He is playing good tennis and is in great form."

·
Registered
365 Posts
thanks TH,
hope he will be fine for Sopot. If he is fit the semis against Coria should be great at the end of the clay court season.

·
Premium Member
182,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Marc-Kevin Goellner qualified :eek: :)

·
Registered
33,292 Posts
Good luck Guille :)

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Play was rained out today (Monday).

I shudder to see the schedule that will make up for this . . . not one match finished :eek: and only one started!

·
Premium Member
182,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ferrer d. Ulihrach 7-6 6-2
D Sanchez d. M Norman 6-4 6-2 :(
Horna d. Savolt 6-1 6-1

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
So what the hell's going on in Sopot? I see this:

Singles - First Round
(1)JC Ferrero (ESP) vs (WC)B Dabrowski (POL) - Postponed (Wednesday)
A Portas (ESP) vs (2)C Moya (ESP) - Postponed
(Q)F Cermak (CZE) vs (Q)F Urban (POL) - Postponed
A Voinea (ROM) vs (8)O Mutis (FRA) - Postponed
R Ramirez Hidalgo (ESP) vs J Knowle (AUT) - Postponed
(Q)MK Goellner (GER) vs M Kratochvil (SUI) - Postponed
(WC)M Matkowski (POL) vs G Blanco (ESP) - Postponed
(5)F Volandri (ITA) vs M Puerta (ARG) - Postponed

Doubles - First Round
(4)D Bowen/A Fisher vs B Ulirach/A Vinciguerra - Postponed
C Rochus/A Savolt vs (2)L Arnold/M Hood - Postponed

I know Auckland also had a ton of rain and managed to finish, but when is the time to jump ship? Not finishing the first round until Wednesday, at least? :eek:

·
Premium Member
182,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
the ones that really matter are

Ferrero,Moya, Coria and Nalbandian
these are the ones that have to get to Canada

others will just fizzle away into obscurity again.

1 - 20 of 206 Posts