Tennis Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thanks to BBC Interactive during the singles semis you can also see the Seniors Event on outside courts and during the first semi today I flicked through a couple of matches and saw some surreal scenes :eek: :lol:

Jana Novotna - Jana has totally 're-babed herself'. Her hair is peroxide blonde and in a nice choppy style, she had little diamond stud earrings and she was wearing a little sleeveless Nike dress. Maybe Jana regrets not taking advantage of the glamour side of the tour when she played throught the 90s and is trying to get in on some of that Maria/Anna modelling money. Jana in a dress :eek: I thought she was strictly a sensible two piece kind of girl.

Wendy Turnbull - Wendy was never slim but you would think she was pregnant instead of Pam :eek: It was almost comical watching Wendy trying to lunge for volleys

Carling Bassett Seguso - Carling is still a total glamour puss. She is about 38/39? She had an enormous big bushy pony tail right down to her ass. It was gigantic. Someone needs to tell her to get out of the Eighties with that hair. She had on a 2 sizes too small dress and bright red nail polish. Watching her across the net from Wendy was hilarious.

Anyway Bassett/Mandlikova played Turnbull and Magers. Was there not something about a romance with Wendy and Hana at one point? What happened was weird. It was all light hearted and the teams were talking across the net but I turned it back ten minutes later and Wendy was shooting Hana a look. The next rally Hana hits a ball square at Wendy who can barely move as it is and Hana turns round and reacts as if it had given her match point at the Wimbledon singles final. Any other time I turned it over everyone was walking round pretty serious looking.

Forget Serena v Amelie - the real drama is out on 13 in the seniors! :lol:

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Ahhhhhhhhh, the Slavic Princess (just for you, samn) is still "whacko" Hana (where is Pam Shriver when I need her?)! I wish that I had been viewing, but I doubt I missed any great tennis. Hana and Carling have not made the greatest of partnerships. I believe they've now played 3 matches together and won a total of 5 games! :eek:

I've also heard the rumor about Hana and Wendy as well, but I'm not sure there's anything to that one. They formed a great doubles partnership that should have won a slam or two but were always tough nonetheless. The last I knew of their relationship, they were still friends while Hana was coaching Jana. If anyone else knows anything else about them please chime in.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
HanaFanGA said:
Ahhhhhhhhh, the Slavic Princess (just for you, samn)
:kiss: :wavey:

How about a doubles match pairing up your favorite with mine? The Slavic Princess and Brunhilde (as christened by Bud Collins, who also came up with "Fraulein Forehand") versus Prissy Chrissie and Gorgeous Gaby :drool:

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
1,793 Posts
My God. I have read on here how much Ms Turnbull has evolved, but I nearly chocked on my pot noodle when I clapped eyes on her. She used to be known as the Rabbit. There are a few other creatures that resemble her now. The way she was lunging about the court, hardly able to move really warmed my heart. God bless her, and more power to her for being out there strutting her stuff.

Anne Smith is showing her years. Virginia Ruzici is holding up quite well.

Lori McNeil looks exactly the same, as does Hana Mandlikova (looking good for a mother of twins)

Carling Bassett looks like something out of Cagney & Lacey.

I had the best time watching the old guard. One thing is for sure, none of them have lost their competitiveness. They've all still got the fire in their belly's.

Jana Novotna looked good, but didn't play too well.

Seeing Wendy Turnbull lunging for volleys is really something. :)

·
YOU'RE WELCOME!
6,880 Posts
I must admit I have spent a fair amount of my time at Wimbledon this last week watching the 'legends' play. Some of them crack me up and they're pure entertainment.

As for Wendy, sure she's not exactly in shape, but she's as committed to playing as anyone. She was there last year and she gives it her all. Sure it may not be much, but I think her competitive spirit carries her at times. Plus, she's a total star. After her match on Monday, myself, alongwith a few others asked Wendy at the end of the match for a photo. She was really sweet and agreed and despite the security guy being crap at using my camera, she didn't walk off until we were happy it'd taken. She's a total star.

One aside to watching these guys play is that I wonder who of today's current players will be competing in years to come.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Snuffkin said:
I must admit I have spent a fair amount of my time at Wimbledon this last week watching the 'legends' play. Some of them crack me up and they're pure entertainment.

As for Wendy, sure she's not exactly in shape, but she's as committed to playing as anyone. She was there last year and she gives it her all. Sure it may not be much, but I think her competitive spirit carries her at times. Plus, she's a total star. After her match on Monday, myself, alongwith a few others asked Wendy at the end of the match for a photo. She was really sweet and agreed and despite the security guy being crap at using my camera, she didn't walk off until we were happy it'd taken. She's a total star.

One aside to watching these guys play is that I wonder who of today's current players will be competing in years to come.

Thanks for sharing the pic Snuffkin! :) I think Wendy's always been known to be good natured and its glad to here that she was so pleasant and patient. Hope you had a great time.

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
Snuffkin said:

Hey snuffers that pic is great. And I spy my PamWatchFollowers amongst that pic! ;) I missed you guys this year. Wenders is a legend.

·
Love the Legends of Tennis
4,464 Posts
Did anyone video any of these matches from BBC interactive. I would love to see some of them. If anyone did tape them, please let me know and I would be happy to trade or buy. Wished we had choice of courts here in Oz!

PS: Great pic of Wendy and the gals there! She certainly is a fun gal. :)

·
Registered
11,268 Posts
The final between Novotna & Jausovec and Sukova & Durie was hilarious. I think someone needs to explain to Jana it was the over '35s. She was very keyed up and taking it extremely seriously, whilst the others were far more relaxed, laughing and joking. Seemed to me Jana still has a bit of bad blood towards Helena, even after both have retired.

·
Registered
12,636 Posts
Snuffkin said:

Wow look at those babes! ;)

Awesome pic, thats on my wall with pride now. Wendy was a star with us, she rockz!!

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
Snuffkin said:

Terrific picture, and I agree about Wendy- she was here in our home town last year with Chris Evert at a legends event, and she is a joy to watch- her backhand is a thing of beauty, and she volleys better than most women, in addition to having spectacular racquet-head control from very difficult positions on court.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts