Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(I posted this in the Aussie Open thread originally, but it will soon work its way down the list there!!!)

Some quick notes on the #1 ranking.

At the moment it is in the hands of Lindsay Davenport!!!

Venus Williams needs to reach the semi-finals to overtake Lindsay Davenport to claim the #1 ranking.

Jennifer Capriati needs to reach the final to overtake Lindsay Davenport to claim the #1 ranking.

If Venus Williams loses in the semi-finals, then Jennifer Capriati can reclaim the #1 ranking by reaching the final.

If Venus Williams reaches the final, Jennifer Capriati can reclaim the #1 ranking only by winning the event.

So, I really hope it is a Jennifer Capriati vs. Venus Williams final because it is the top two seeds, my two favourite players in the draw and it will be a Grand Slam final with the #1 ranking at stake!!!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Yeah........that is true.......this AO could ended in a total reorganization of the top10!!!!!!! Did you notice that with AO's last year points off, Hingis is #5, behind Clijsters? Which means that by going farther than Hingis, Clijsters could get into the top4 for the first time in her carrer!!!!!!! And a probable Clijsters-Capriati SF on one half and a Venus-Hingis SF on the other half.......looks like nothing is impossible.......:bounce:

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
20,610 Posts
Such a tight race and WTA is doing nothing to publicise it. How typical... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Banned
1,006 Posts
You have misunderstood Mark Newman.
With last year's Australian Open points off and this year's Australian Open points on, Lindsay is (still) no. 1 !
That's what he's talking about. If Venus and Jennifer lose in the next match, Lindsay is no. 1.

·
Banned
3,727 Posts
Mark Newman said:

At the moment it is in the hands of Lindsay Davenport!!!

Venus Williams needs to reach the semi-finals to overtake Lindsay Davenport to claim the #1 ranking.

Jennifer Capriati needs to reach the final to overtake Lindsay Davenport to claim the #1 ranking.
As he said Jenn needs to creach the Final to overtake Lindsey to claim the No.1 rank ... well she already has ... if she doesnt reach the final then Lindsey will overtake her to claim the No.1 rnak ... not the other way around!!

At the moment it is in the hands of Lindsay Davenport!!! - No Its in the hands of Jennifer!! Thats what he meant he didnt mean taking off points and adding ect. he thought lindsey was no.1 and she isnt!!

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I'd say it's in the hands of (probably) Kim and Monica, actually. But I don't know an awful lot!

·
Banned
3,727 Posts
well then why did he say its in the hands of Lindsey?? If u ask me it sounds alot like he meant indsey has the No.1 ranking at the moment ... and if thats not what he meant Lindsey definately has not got it in her hands because she will lose points too u know!! She is defending SF points and isnt even playing until May or something!!

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Such anger directed towards me!!!

Seeing as I run a Jennifer Capriati WebSite (http://www.capriati.co.uk) I can assure you that I know Jennifer is World #1 at the moment.

I was talking about the current rankings with the Australian Open points off. If Venus and Jennifer lost their next matches then Lindsay would be #1.

Please excuse my grammer with claiming back and claiming from and all that!?!

I think most people knew what I was getting at!!! :)

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
8,263 Posts
MArk,

Does that means that if (touch wood) both Jennifer and Venus lose in the next round or quarters (or semis in Jennifer case), Lindsay will claim back no. 1. That will be one hell of a scandal hehe

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep - the WTA will be hanging their heads!!!

But Lindsay will lose the points from winning Tokyo the following week and either then or a few weeks later whoever is at #2 will move up to #1.

Venus is playing Paris and Dubai a couple of weeks after the Australian Open, with little points to defend those weeks, so she is assured of the #1 ranking anyway, with Lindsay out and Jennifer resting those weeks.

The WTA will finally be able to relax then!!!

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Thats the only way Venus can get to number 1 ranking. If Lindsay is resting!!!!!! lol!!!!!

·
Veelieve!!!
32,573 Posts
QUEENLINDSAY said:
Thats the only way Venus can get to number 1 ranking. If
Lindsay is resting!!!!!! lol!!!!!
You're kidding right??? Lindsay is one of my favourite players, but posts like this make me see RED Venus is not in anyway scared of playing Lindsay (as is evident with their recent record)Heck, I have too much respect for Lindsay as a player to believe that she only won all her matches after the U.S. Open when both Venus and her sister stayed at home... See how the tables can turn??? :p :rolleyes: :eek:

P.S. Eventually everyone gets their just due one way or another. :p

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I understood what you meant Mark :)
Williams_rulez ~~ it is a pitty that the WTA are not talking this up! Has this new guy taken office yet for the WTA? Or is Bart M. still in charge?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts