1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
181,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hi TBE...obviously we are not on the same side of the fence on this one... ;)
Jamie and David skate at my club...and I am thrilled to see them get the gold! I don't think this is about "two whinning athletes"...I think it is more about justice and integrity...when athletes step onto the ice the decision should not have already been made as to who wins and who loses...the fact that this was a pre-arranged decision is horrendous and it HAD to be exposed for what it was.

·
Devoted Capriati-Ite
188,400 Posts
Jas, Darlin' Sweetie! Great Minds Think Alike! :p

·
Keeper of Venus & Serena,
27,447 Posts
TBE, you got upset as us for bringing it up when Jamie and David didn't win gold, so why are you doing it now?

Not that I don't mind it.....I was just wondering.

By the way, for the umpteenth time, the judging was fradualent as was SAID by the French judge herself, so something had to be done.

·
Registered
15,226 Posts
jas said:

Jamie and David skate at my club....
Wow that's awesome jas... you're really lucky... i'm jealous lol

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
What interested me here was the number of North Americans who protested the decision.

The few supports of the desicion were from places overseas, with a couple from Canada or the US.

But from what I read 90% of the protests came from the US and Canadians, with a couple from the UK.

This is interesting,cause TBE and ys have been flapping on so much about how its the people from those areas who have been plagued by the media, and we're all media puppets who feel this way only cause the media tells us to :rolleyes:
Well thankyou TBE, for proving yourself WRONG here - not all N. Americans and Brits feel this way. SOme of them, can actually be objective on the matter, and not feel obligated to cheer for their own country or ally, if they don't gee the matter was just.

It still amazes me to no end, TBE, that you are YET to comment on the fact that the judging has been PROVEN corrupt. Yet you still think this was all about nothing, and all based on media pressure. COuld you explain your stance on the matter?
I'd like to think your not just being ignorant based on bias, but thats certaintly how it appears.

I like this quote from the poster from Spain - "Drug test the athletes; polygraph the judges"

·
Registered
111 Posts
I think the revelation that the Russian judge was also involved in this "fiasco" shows why people from other parts of the world don't have as much to say as they once did on this. It's time the whole system gets an overhaul and a judges association, independent from their federation be formed. The pool of judges from that would then be chosen on merit/performance review...the one thing this "fiasco" has done has been to expose it to many people around the world who will know, from now on, there will be accountibility within the sport. This is the good that comes of it...now let's get on with the games!!

I laughed at the Spanish poster too!! :)

·
Banned
271 Posts
I really feel that the decision to award the second gold is wrong because it totally jepodize the authority of the judges. I know the judges here was not clean, but I think the final decision should be upheld because the ISU rule says that the results can't be changed. No matter what circumstances you have to play by the rule. And now the rule is broken. (In 1999, they caught 2 judges cheating in the pair competion on tape, but the results still remained the same.)

·
Registered
15,226 Posts
tennisfun said:
I really feel that the decision to award the second gold is wrong because it totally jepodize the authority of the judges. I know the judges here was not clean, but I think the final decision should be upheld because the ISU rule says that the results can't be changed. No matter what circumstances you have to play by the rule. And now the rule is broken. (In 1999, they caught 2 judges cheating in the pair competion on tape, but the results still remained the same.)
I'm pretty sure there's some rule in the ISU that only states that judges have to vote for who they think is the best pair, not who they were pressured to vote for. I think that this whole thing has been good for the sport of figure skating because i just heard on the news that the president of the ISU (don't remember his name) is going to propose a whole new judging system at the ISU meeting tomorrow... the judging has been corrupt for years and it's sad that it took something this big to make the ISU realise that although I am glad that something is finally being done!

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
tennisfun - its unfortunate that in 1999 they did not proceed any furthur. The sports NEEDS this kind of publicity in order to reform the judging.

This wasn't the first time I watched Canadians get the short end of the stick in figure skating, and likely not the last - because of corrupt judging.

Anyone who says the results should just stand, is essentially saying that the judges were right in what they did. And they weren't right, as its been proved that at least one was corrupted, and possibly more.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts