Tennis Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is what I was talking about:

After the Usopen there are like 12 tourneys. In those 12 tourneys there two tier I tourneys....the only change is to move Generali before Swisscom ..

Have only 32 direct entry draws...the top 32 players in the rankings..

same kinda draw with different combos for Shanghai-tier II; Sparkassan -tier II; and the decider tourney being Kremlin Cup....

After that the top 16 in the rankings will only be invited and the draw and matches will be few giving players more time off and less match play....this same formula will be used for the next three tourneys which would be Porsche-tier II; Generali-tier II and the tiebreaker would be Swisscom a tier I tourney with more points to offer...

Now the tour ends up in US with Advanta hosting the warmup tourney now having the playing field down to 8 .......the tour could either have the field narrow down to four players and doubles at Advanta or they could use it as a warm-up to set the draws or seeds to see who plays who...
The Year-end will then be a quarterfinal or semifinal format not a round robin format. then the final.....

this is good cos it gives the players and fans more top level tennis......there is no reason why a lower ranked player should be around til the end of the season.......because like in baseball if u don' make the playoff season then u go home early and that is what the wta should do......end the season after the Usopen.....and start the playoff season therefore the USopen would have the interest of being the grandslam that could continue ur year.....it would add more interest to the sport.........with the lower ranked players going home early then the top ranked players can stay and yet play fewer matches like half of the normal matches which is like an average of 3 matches per tourneys......

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
hmmm, I think this is possibly the worst idea i have ever heard in my ENTIRE LIFE!!! :fiery:

disregarding the lower ranked players and not allowing them to play is just awful. Top players dont need to play all year round, they can play whenever they like and earn shitloads of money and live a luxurious lifestyle, and get every single fucking thing they want.

Lower ranked players however, have a living to earn - thats means hard work 12 months a year in a job where there is a rediculous disparity in the earnings of someone ranked #1, and someone ranked #71.

Players are out there trying to earn a living and for lower ranked players it is vital that they play matches and tournaments in order to make enough money to continue playing and afford all teh expenses that go with being a WTA player, while also making a decent hard earned living.

IN the post US Open season when many of the top players are now tired and cant give a shit about the rest of the season, it is a great chance for the lower ranked players to put some extra food on teh table(i know im exxgerating a little there, but theres truth in it).

I thinkit would be disgusting to throw this out and have just the top players playing each week - tennis is becoming too top heavy and if we want standards of play to rise and allow new talent to come through and keep the WTA healthy, and wealthy, we need a full tour and not one where only the top players are allowed to play.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think in every other sport especially team sports, the lower ranked players or teams go home and then the post season begins......so where is that wrong....the ticket prices will be higher and the tour will consist only of the top 32 players dwindled down to 16 after three tourneys then only 8 players which is the same amount of players the wta would include in their year end championships.......

This would be fun cos the post season would start with someone like Vera zvonareva getting a chance to move up higher in the rankings......

and when the post season is over then the real top ten would be in place.......cos u are actually playing for ranking spots....the lower ranked players would have the time to practice and prepare for fed cup. It also means that they have to work and play just as many tourneys to qualify for the next post season which is ending in the top 32.........sometimes change is good. The Wta would make a killing on the television rights....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.