Tennis Forum banner

1161 - 1180 of 1185 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Sofya is injured? or is there any other reason why she does not play when she lost in the first round of Wimbledon qualifying?
by now they are many months that she publishes only photo, previously with Giraldo (then canceled) and then with this other boy (also he tennis player), but no post regarding the tennis or her training.

·
Registered
670 Posts
^^^ This is a disturbing photoshot for a couple reasons:

a) The Gucci t-shirt costs $180. Can she afford it? Sure. But given her ranking, it's on the very luxurous side. OTOH, it may be free, as she has over 39K followers on Instagram and Gucci may consider her an influencer, which brings about another disturbing thing: does Sofya want to be a tennis star or an Instagram star?

b) She captioned the photo: "Typical Wednesday afternoon" and it was taken in Coral Gables, Florida. The venue and her attire doesn't seem like she's taking a break from training. The first thing that came to my mind when I read it was, "Hello, this a typical Wednesday afternoon for a pro tennis player?" So is tennis still her goal, or is she injured?

Someone on that photo thread wrote this: "Do you still play competitive tennis or do you only take pics of you walking your ass around South Beach and the Gables? Maybe you need to match it back to IMG and see if they can save your career. Or maybe not!"

Kinda sad. And I am not alone.

·
Registered
70 Posts
What is happening with her is quite alarming. She played well in french open qualifying and showed good skills in her r1, yet she completely disappeared soon after.
Her ranking at the moment is a mess, she won't even make the cut for AO qualies unless she plays and wins some itfs in the upcoming weeks, which seems unlikely.
It's a wasted talent, she can be really good, a top 10 Player maybe, yet she is stuck, and tennis career are so short, she needs to figure out whether this is her dream or not.
Let's hope she will regroup next year, she is still young, after all.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
There is any Sofya's tennis news?

·
Banned
17,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,169
She looks amazing. :love:

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I would be interested to know what happened to her. Whether she just needs a break due to injury or burnout or if she is really giving up tennis.

I don't think "model" is a serious career alternative. Sofya is Junior Slam winner and was on the way to enter the Top 100 at the age of 18. She is part of an elite circle of a few dozen girls who could dominate the circuit in the coming years.

As a model, she would be one among thousands of competitors. She has a pretty face and an amazing bikini figure, but it takes more to become a "supermodel". She seems to be marketed now as "Tennis star who could be a model", but this tag will wear off as soon as she no longer plays.

I think her tennis talent is much more valuable. Because of her beauty, she would also get good sponsoring deals even without being a Top 20 or 50 player.

·
Registered
53,595 Posts
I agree.

It would be a mistake to stop/retire from tennis :(

Sofya has so much TENNIS talent (Top 40 potential for sure). It would be a shame to waste it.
And as said, as a beautiful tennis player in Top 60 she also would get attention and sponsor deals.
I hope that Sofya will work hard and continue with her tennis career. And makes the most of it.

There are many many beautiful girls in this world she would have to compete with as a model.
(And sadly these days NOT anymore the best or most beautiful girls are chosen for model jobs, only the followers on instagram count or you must look really weird. Quite a pathetic and sad development. Look at German model Stefanie Giesinger who won GNTM cycle 9 (in 2014). I like her, she is a kind girl and she is pretty, but honestly (I watched every episode of her cycle) she never was the best model in the competition, never had the best photos nor the best walk on the runway. Steffi only was very popular (also her illness played a part), had many fans and so won. And then also she gained world-wide many other non-German followers on instagram for some reason. And so Steffi is a very successful model now and gets very good jobs - not because of her quality as a model, but because of her many fans/followers.)
The competition in the model world is very hard. And there it is more about LUCK and connections.
Tennis is more real, honest, fairer and less fake than modelling. If you play well, then you will win.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I hope it is only a momentary stop, and then she returns to tennis, because the photoshoots can also be done during the weeks of break between the tournaments,

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
There is nothing you can do if you lose the passion, likely she just lost all the motivation to play tennis, remember that she won so young Wimbledon junior, the expectation about her was way higher.

·
Premium Member
38,745 Posts
Looks like she switched to modeling by preference. She is a good player (I saw a match on YT where she defeated Rybarikova in 3 sets in 2018) but could have measured the work she had to do more again to become a top player. She is a good athlete but could have reached her limits (technique and movement), or didn't feel ready to give all of her life to tennis. It's human.

1161 - 1180 of 1185 Posts