Tennis Forum banner
1081 - 1100 of 1130 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
bencic kenin is an interesting pairing bc they have similar prodigal ability to take the ball early
Yeah I thought they'd do better in Wimbledon doubles, because of being on grass and it looks like they are really good friends. But as soon as Sofia had her first service game, and every time she served, it meant Belinda had to be at net and you could see the comfort level wasn't there. It's a shame, there are some things about this duo that I like more than Sofia/BMS.

·
Registered
16,421 Posts
yah, BB is completely incompetent at net, she only knows how to hit drive volleys

·
Registered
905 Posts
Quick ranking update. While Sofia is currently 4th in the live rankings, if Pliskova goes on to win Wimbledon, Sofia will move down to 5th.

No other Sofia news or sightings to post on as of now, but its not for a lack of trying to find something. Hopefully these next 25 days or so before San Jose won't be too quiet.

·
Registered
16,421 Posts
she's already overranked lol, she needs a drop in ranking to help alleviate the pressure she's had and stop messing up draws

Reactions: spiritedenergy

·
Registered
905 Posts
she's already overranked lol, she needs a drop in ranking to help alleviate the pressure she's had and stop messing up draws
Hey, I'm just updating everyone on how the rankings stand now, or could stand after Wimbledon.

Nothing more, nothing less.

·
Registered
16,421 Posts
Hey, I'm just updating everyone on how the rankings stand now, or could stand after Wimbledon.

Nothing more, nothing less.
didn’t mean anything towards you!

·
Registered
905 Posts
This was posted by Spiceboy in the doubles Forum, and Spiceboy is usually spot on with this stuff.

I'm not huge on Ostapenko, but she is Sofia's friend and a good reliable doubles player, also is definitely not scared of being at the net. I just hope Jelena doesn't beam Sofia in the back of the head.

·
Registered
6,904 Posts
This was posted by Spiceboy in the doubles Forum, and Spiceboy is usually spot on with this stuff.

View attachment 193953

I'm not huge on Ostapenko, but she is Sofia's friend and a good reliable doubles player, also is definitely not scared of being at the net. I just hope Jelena doesn't beam Sofia in the back of the head.
The feistiness on that side of the court will be fun. :p.

Haven't checked on here for a few days, so no news is not surprising. Hopefully she is practicing hitting the ball in to the court and not the bashing she has done with poor effect this year.
We have seen with Pliskova, any player can make a slam, whatever your form is, so that must make Sofia think she can do it again too.

·
Registered
5,761 Posts
Since when are Kenin and Ostapenko friends?

Interesting that they will play 3 tournaments, its always good to see a more stabile double partnership instead of every tournament a other partner.

And I still dont understand her reason of skippping the Olympics, she did not have anybody she said ?
But they are there with team US, she has the other players around her , she is not alone in the olympic village.
Why would she think that she is alone there ?
The others cant also not bring a teammember or personal coach , but they have each other.
I think its a weird reason

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
Since when are Kenin and Ostapenko friends?

Interesting that they will play 3 tournaments, its always good to see a more stabile double partnership instead of every tournament a other partner.

And I still dont understand her reason of skippping the Olympics, she did not have anybody she said ?
But they are there with team US, she has the other players around her , she is not alone in the olympic village.
The others cant also not bring a teammember or personal coach , but they have each other.
same, it makes no sense to me... that and missing so many grass tournaments and not having hired a coach yet, this year I can't understand her, it seems like she doesn't want to play

·
Registered
16,421 Posts
skipping olympic is a strange decision for sure, with the depth USA has, there's no guarantee that she'll be in the mix for paris 2024 either...

Reactions: spiritedenergy

·
Registered
905 Posts
same, it makes no sense to me... that and missing so many grass tournaments and not having hired a coach yet, this year I can't understand her, it seems like she doesn't want to play
skipping olympic is a strange decision for sure, with the depth USA has, there's no guarantee that she'll be in the mix for paris 2024 either...
Here is 2 theories I have for this, I could be right, half right, or completely off the mark. Just to let everyone know, I'm typing this on 4 hours sleep and I'm shocked and amazed I haven't fallen asleep in the chair yet.

Theory number one. "I couldn't take anyone with me, and I definitely wanted to have someone." She was either talking about a personal coach, or maybe she wanted her father to go and enjoy the moment with her. As for the team coach, is it going to be Kathy Rinaldi? I ask this because Sofia has a lot of loyalty to Rinaldi, and I feel she is one of the reasons Sofia is so eager to play King Cup(Fed Cup).

Theory number two. The quote above was an excuse, and she decided to use the extra time to get ready for the US Open series. I would have loved for her to play the Olympics, but lets look at what's coming up very shortly for Sofia everyone.

2019 Canadian Open SF points - 350
2019 Cincy Open SF points(2019 points was greater than 2020's so 2019 points was kept) - 350
2020 US Open 4th Round - 240

That's 940 points everyone. Not to mention what will be coming off in the fall(2020 French Open Finalist points and Guanzhou points). Ladies and Gentlemen, those are not cheap points.

Had her year gone better, I feel she more than likely would have played the Olympics. I really don't think Sofia envisioned her 2021 being a bad AO title defense, emergency appendix surgery that if she wasn't in the right place at the right time, she could be dead right now. An almost 2 month recovery time for surgery, that may or may not of been enough time, firing her Father during clay season, and so far not being able to find a new coach. Except for the French Open, clay season being horrible, and even during the French Open, having a horrible match and getting knocked out. I think it's best we don't even get into grass season(I'm tired, but in a chill mood, I'd like to keep it like that).

I'm sure I left some things out, but I feel this is pretty good for 4 hours sleep.

·
Registered
5,761 Posts
I still dont understand the reason.
How is her connection with the others team members from team US?
Is she friends with the other girls?
For them all its the same , that they dont have a own teammember or coach with them
I guess its more because she is not in her best form mentally and physically?

·
Registered
905 Posts
I still dont understand the reason.
How is her connection with the others team members from team US?
Is she friends with the other girls?
For them all its the same , that they dont have a own teammember or coach with them
I guess its more because she is not in her best form mentally and physically?
How close she is with the members that are going to the Olympics, I don't know.

As for your last question, I wouldn't be surprised if it played a role in the decision. I wouldn't say it's the sole reason, but maybe a reason.

·
Registered
905 Posts
So I was keeping track of the ESPY's(I didn't watch, I try and stay away from as much of Disney & their BS channels as I possibly can) and Sofia didn't win. We all knew that this was actually a popularity contest anyways and she wasn't going to win this, and I would have been completely shocked & amazed if she did win.

No other news to add, though I have found some full matches on Youtube that I might add sometime Sunday.
The 2017 US Open Sofia/Sharapova 3rd round match
2018 Fed Cup heartbreaker match of Sofia/Siniakova. Sofia was damn near inconsolable when the match was over(there is only a little bit of that in the end, but seeing the pictures from the match was bad enough).
2018 Berkeley 60k Final Sofia/Gibbs.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Here's is the Matches that I mentioned in the last post. First up is 2017 US Open 3rd round, Sofia vs. Sharapova.

Not much to say on this one. The tournament and match were she decided to go pro instead of going to college like she thought she would.

2018 Berkeley 60k, Sofia's last ITF & ITF title seeing as she had the points to pretty much stay on the WTA tour after, without having to play a lot of qualifying. Also you can see why the picture I used on the trophy thread had no trophy in it. Berkeley is one of those tournaments that don't give out trophies just the checks, and the closest you get to a trophy is taking a picture next to the tournament logo.

2018 Fed Cup Final. Not too much more to say on this that wasn't said on the other posting. This was Sofia's first pro Fed Cup, and put in there against a vastly more experienced Czech team on their turf. In the end I'm glad the person cut a lot of Sofia out of the Czech celebration, Sofia's 2021 AO presser looked tame compared to the ending of this match.

·
Registered
6,904 Posts
Thanks for the upload.
It's been bucketing down with rain today, so I have had plenty of time to look at the third set of the Siniakova match, probably the first time I really took notice of Sofia and became a fan. Remember watching this live at the time in Australia late at night.
Some comments, a feistiness overload there, am a massive fan of Katka's, the facial expressions that they both give here, :love::LOL:, an amazing match, there was a 19 minute game that katka held, the 5th, Sofia had a 9 minute hold, had 2 match points, before losing. ( DRC consoling her," You did so good" and hugging her.)
There is nothing like a Czech Republic Fed Cup home crowd, magnificent atmosphere.

What the match showed was that Sofia was becoming an absoluter fighter and her game was equipped for the top.
She really needs to try and go back to that sort of play, grinding, taking her time to pull the trigger on her shots, fighting for every point.
Not sure she needs to watch a replay of this match, :p, however, she needs that type of effort IMO.

AND IT'S STILL RAINING.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I would like more moments like this.

Sofia has the ability to win at least few more slams, she just has to get her head and game back to where it was.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Still nothing news-wise other than finding this today. Sofia played in this as well last year.

http://instagr.am/p/CRUgKOrgleQ/
Last year I believe it was played either mid or late August, and I also believe it is nothing more than an exhibition. By her playing this last year, it may also show that GSE was possibly courting Sofia well before last years French Open.

1081 - 1100 of 1130 Posts