Tennis Forum banner
1061 - 1080 of 1147 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Last update for the evening. It looks like the doubles match was pushed yet again from Thursday to Friday. Of course how that match will go seeing how bad Sofia & Belinda were embarrassed in their singles matches today, is anyones guess.

Rest well everyone, may we all find some way to regroup after this one. As badly as we've taken this, we can only imagine what's going through Sofia's head at this moment.

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
Yes, everyone says what I think.
She actually looked disinterested and even when Brengle gave her chances to break she couldn't.
She must have off court issues whatever they are, it was a horrible performance that lacked any pride.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sofia has collected a plenty of weird losses since last summer.
  • 1-6, 6-7 to Cornet at the Cincinnati Masters (Her first post covid WTA match, Sofia was crying during the match and made about 50 UEs.)
  • 0-6, 0-6 to Azarenka in Rome (Victoria is at least a top player and she played really well.)
  • three-set loss to Gadecki in Melbourne (Olivia was an unranked girl... but Sofia had a problem with her appendix.)
  • 1-6, 4-6 to Krejčíková in Rome (Sofia's return of serve was tragical.)
  • 1-6, 3-6 to Sakkari at the French Open (A lot of double faults and unforced errors.)
  • 2-6, 4-6 to Brengle (no comment)

I think Sofia didn't have similar losses before covid. She used to be a feisty competitor and her opponent had to play a good match to beat her. I started support Sofia in 2019 because of her never give up attitude and nice point construction ... and she is completely different player now. It looks like Sofia's game and confidence were damaged by the COVID-19 pandemic.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Wow quite a lot to unpack here.
1-6, 6-7 to Cornet at the Cincinnati Masters (Her first post covid WTA match, Sofia was crying during the match and made about 50 UEs.)
This was the first match that could remember Bam Bam Kenin showing up. Cornet just delivering moonball after moonball, and letting Sofia just feed her errors. The sad thing about that match was midway through the second set, Sofia went back to patient Kenin and started to frustrate Cornet. I still say if Sofia just could have got the match to the third set, she would have won, Cornet at the time in full panic mode after losing the huge second set lead. It was also the first time I seen Alex Kenin so visibly upset after Sofia launch a forehand shot long in an open court on her first set point in the tie break.
0-6, 0-6 to Azarenka in Rome (Victoria is at least a top player and she played really well.)
I was only able to watch the first two games in the first set(I had to go to work), but I remember checking the score while at work, and seen how fast that match went.
three-set loss to Gadecki in Melbourne (Olivia was an unranked girl... but Sofia had a problem with her appendix.)
Sofia never should have entered the tournament to begin with after her lose to Kanepi in the AO. That being said, the first set was a demolition job by Sofia, but somewhere mid second set it just look like she was running out of energy. It could have been appendix issues seeing as she had the surgery the next day, we'll never know for sure.
1-6, 4-6 to Krejčíková in Rome (Sofia's return of serve was tragical.)
1-6, 3-6 to Sakkari at the French Open (A lot of double faults and unforced errors.)
I'm adding these two together, because Bam Bam showed up to play, I'm still calling the FO Sakkari match Abu Dhabi 2. It's bad when you have a basher like Sakkari play borderline pusher tennis because she knows you'll feel her errors.
2-6, 4-6 to Brengle (no comment)
You about sum it up on this one, I think we all have said all we needed to say on this.

I refuse to give up on her, I just hope she starts seriously looking in the mirror, and figure out what she's looking for as a tennis player, and find the proper coach that will properly guide her in her journey.

·
Registered
16,444 Posts
not getting only 6 games against brengle on grass! lmfao

·
Registered
929 Posts
So by Svitolina losing today, and losing her 2019 Wimbledon SF points, Sofia as of right now moves back to 4th in the live rankings. I cropped it to the last position someone left in the tournament can pass her. As you can see, Pliskova and Krejcikova would have to run the table to get ahead of Sofia, I think Muguruza would have to as well as I don't think runner-up would be enough.

Sofia is going to be running into points issues soon as well. Coming up around the corner is her 2019 Canadian Open & Cincy Open SF points, not to mention her 2020 US Open 4th round points.

Also, the time for tomorrows doubles match is now out. The time on here is EST, the British time would be 1:35pm. How this match will go, who knows.

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
Hopefully she can have some fun in the doubles, take out any frustration of her singles performance and just try to enjoy being on court, because she hasn't looked like she is ENJOYING the game at the moment.
The doubles match looks like a cracker, very entertaining :p
Obviously, when you are not playing well, have off court issues ?, injuries etc, it would test anyone, so we should bear that in mind, and tennis is all she has done in life.
You only need to look at Anisimova's recent post, another player I like, how tough she is having it.

This Covid world would be tough for young people.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Here are the stats of the doubles match.

Bencic is just not a net player, the ball coming right at her seems to scare her, and hit a fair amount into the net. Sofia made a few plays I think she would like back, but I thought she was pretty solid. While they enjoy playing doubles together, I just don't see them winning a tournament together, Belinda's game is just too baseline dependent.

I do have to say that if Sofia was this relaxed, and dare I say patient during the Brengle match as she was during this one, she probably would have beat her convincingly. It's a damn shame really.
I also seen the presser on Youtube last night(it's gone now), it wasn't long, and the only questions was from douche bag Ben. Sofia said that after Wimbledon was over for her, she was going back to Miami to train to get ready for San Jose. The plan as of right now is San Jose, Canadian Open, Cincy and of course US Open.

Here is some screenshots I took, because who knows if actual pictures will be taken. They are not perfect and while it was in HD, the quality just didn't look all that great on court 10.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I do have to say that if Sofia was this relaxed, and dare I say patient during the Brengle match as she was during this one, she probably would have beat her convincingly. It's a damn shame really.
I also seen the presser on Youtube last night(it's gone now), it wasn't long, and the only questions was from douche bag Ben. Sofia said that after Wimbledon was over for her, she was going back to Miami to train to get ready for San Jose. The plan as of right now is San Jose, Canadian Open, Cincy and of course US Open.
She can train with her dad again :unsure: I am looking forward to her summer hard court swing.

·
Registered
929 Posts
She can train with her dad again :unsure: I am looking forward to her summer hard court swing.
Well she said in an interview during the Miami Open, that she lives 20 minutes from Miami, and she normally trains at the Evert Tennis Academy which also isn't too far from Miami. I think she just wants to sleep in her own bed and train for awhile, before going back out on the road for the US Open series.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Jimmie actually was at the match, here is a couple that I thought were the best ones. I missed taking a screenshot of it, and I kind of wish Jimmie would have taken the picture, but it was the moment Sofia was helping Belinda up off the ground after Belinda went after a ball. They were both laughing, and I thought it was a good moment between the two of them.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Jimmie actually was at the match, here is a couple that I thought were the best ones. I missed taking a screenshot of it, and I kind of wish Jimmie would have taken the picture, but it was the moment Sofia was helping Belinda up off the ground after Belinda went after a ball. They were both laughing, and I thought it was a good moment between the two of them.
It was a funny moment.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Hope she will get to relax during her break, but also she will think about some things bothering her and finally find a coach.
With having 30 days now before her next tournament, it would give her time to find a coach. I kind of wish she'd get a coach that coaches in the style of Hingis, but anyone that can get her to work the points again would be a plus. We'll see what transpires in 30 days I guess, there is a lot of points on the line coming up.

·
Registered
929 Posts
for sure it's for 2020 because 2021...
It is, most of the team events and such were for 2020 achievements besides, Sofia probably wouldn't have been nominated if it was for 2021. I personally avoid ESPN like the plague, but I have to give Sofia her due, even though the normies will most likely vote for Osaka.

·
Registered
16,444 Posts
bencic kenin is an interesting pairing bc they have similar prodigal ability to take the ball early

Reactions: Darkwolf
1061 - 1080 of 1147 Posts