Tennis Forum banner

961 - 980 of 993 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Why though? She'd have a few days to practice and after finally getting matches wins back-to-back, she stops? Maybe that loss hit her hard...
Looking at the press conference clip @breadstal, I'll say it again. I don't think the loss of the match bothered her as much as the way she lost it. At least to me, Sofia was thoroughly disgusted with herself with the way she played.

I would have liked for her to go to Berlin as well, because this grass season is laughably short this year(seriously the WTA needs a bigger grass season, and more places than just England & Germany). But, if Sofia's head isn't in a good place at the moment because of the way she played, there's no sense going to Berlin. It's better to take the time to get her thoughts back in order, find a grass court to practice on, and continue to look at finding a coach.

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
from the highlights I like how Krejikova played against Sakkari, not trying to overpower her but taking the pace off and letting sakkari make errors or be in the wrong situation

she has amazing defense on clay though, but still that's how I though Sofia would play against Sakkari instead of going for broke

·
Registered
790 Posts
from the highlights I like how Krejikova played against Sakkari, not trying to overpower her but taking the pace off and letting sakkari make errors or be in the wrong situation

she has amazing defense on clay though, but still that's how I though Sofia would play against Sakkari instead of going for broke
Well that's when Sofia was at her her best. Good defense while working the angles to either get her opponents out of position for the easy winner, or the opponent makes the error.

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
Well that's when Sofia was at her her best. Good defense while working the angles to either get her opponents out of position for the easy winner, or the opponent makes the error.
yes, the annoying thing is that Sakkari is inconsistent, she could have won if playing the right away...

·
Registered
790 Posts
It always seems like when I go and look for Sofia news, I come across other things. First off is a Tweet from one of her sponsors.

Next, is from a tennis apparel site. I'm posting the site, but I'll also post one of the pictures from that site that I haven't seen before. The outfit Sofia is modeling, is the same black & blue outfit from the Barty line that I posted like a page or two back, just a different view.

Buy fila-paris-styles-2021 online | Tennis-Point

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
I think the second pic is heavily photoshopped to make her look skinnier... nice she has some more sponsors though lol

·
Registered
15,766 Posts
I know I’m a little late to the party but I was very impressed with the short press conference clip after her loss. Sofia seems to be fully aware of where her issues lie and is being smart in not making rash decisions and further depleting the confidence she gained back this slam. Yes she seemed pissed and annoyed with herself, but I think it will only motivate her more. I think she realizes it will take some time to get back to last years form and rushing into matches and tournaments coach-less and without a proper head on her shoulders is not the right plan.

All in all this tournament has been a success and there are many positives to take away from her first three rounds. Hopefully Sofia shows up in Eastbourne and brings her 2019 Mallorca form :p

·
Registered
15,766 Posts
Don't get me started with Mallorca being taken from the WTA. That was a nice looking tournament with good crowds.
Lol wow I said that and it didn’t even occur to me that it is gone. That was a pretty cool tournament with a nice and cozy main court. Damn that sucks..

·
Registered
790 Posts
Here is one extra picture that was posted on the SmileDirectClub Instagram page.

Also, I started to collect things yesterday so I can put together the Sofia trophy thread. It will span her brief time in the ITF, and of course what she has won so far in the WTA. It will include runner-up and doubles, but I'm not going to get into her junior days, I just feel it would be too much of a hassle, especially when it comes to finding pictures. I am surprised on how easy it's been to find ITF pictures so far, I only seem to be having trouble finding a couple doubles pics.

What day I'll start the thread I'm not quite sure yet, but I think it will be sometime next week. I still want to find the pictures I'm missing, and while the archive here gave me some help with what I needed, it didn't have everything sadly. Looks like I'll be doing a internet deep dive... yay(not really forward to it).

·
Registered
790 Posts
Sofia is in amsterdam guessing by her Instagram stories. Why though. Have I missed something?
Sorry, I never checked to see if there was any news or anything of interest(I've been working on the Sofia Trophy thread, that I think I might start the posting on Tuesday). I just checked out the stories, and I wasn't aware Sofia was still interested in soccer(or football, sorry I'm an American... LOL). I would imagine that there are plenty of grass courts there to train on, and while he's not the official coach, Wenders is Dutch.

Just my quick thought on it.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Is she playing Eastbourne ? Hope to see her there.

And who is Wenders again? Thought you guys said he wasn't her coach.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Is she playing Eastbourne ? Hope to see her there.

And who is Wenders again? Thought you guys said he wasn't her coach.
There has been no notices of her pulling out of Eastbourne, so everything looks good there. As for Max Wenders, he was a former coach of Demi Schuurs. He doesn't have to be a coach to be a good contact for Sofia, so she can get into these European academies to train. So that leads me to believe that's why Sofia is in the Netherlands, is to train. Otherwise, I find it pretty random for Sofia to go to the Netherlands to watch a Dutch soccer match.

961 - 980 of 993 Posts