Tennis Forum banner
941 - 960 of 1147 Posts

·
Registered
7,864 Posts
yes she made so many errors and dfs, sakkari was also serving well. It's still a positive tournament for her imo, she needs to find a coach now but I think she's on the right path.

·
Registered
928 Posts
So... here are the stats.
But Darkwolf we know the match was horrible.
Well here they are anyways.

I tapped out watching the match after the 3rd game of the 1st set. I watched the Abu Dhabi train wreck match when it was live in January, and I had zero interest watching it again just because it was on clay. 2 DF's in her first service game of the match, and when she did get the serve in she played to Sakkari's forehand, which isn't a smart strategy. Even though I turned off the match, I was keeping track of the match on Flashscore, just hoping Sofia could turn it around, but the stats got worse and worse.

Can you believe at one point her first serve percentage was at 28%? I'm not even going to get started on the unforced errors.

Here is a couple match pictures from Jimmie, there wasn't much there to pick out to post.

In spite of my irritation of this poorly played & forgettable match(except for the people that were looking to put her down to begin with), the tournament overall was a positive for Sofia. Even we wondered if she could make it out of the first round after drawing Ostapenko in the first round, so making it to the second week is awesome.

What will the grass season look like?

I don't know, I believe her first grass tournament is, Berlin. So that's like 2 weeks away, so hopefully she'll have a coach by then, at least that would be nice.

·
Registered
7,864 Posts
so many UEs, wow, there might be something in Sakkari's game that unsettles her, Sakkari is powerful but also able to draw errors from the opponent, very tricky. BUt with those serve stats Sofia could not go anywhere tbh

·
Registered
928 Posts
Here is a small clip that Roland Garros put on Youtube of Sofia's 4th round presser, and if I can find the full one later, I'll post it. Unless there's news to post, or post to remark to or answer, I think I'll take a few days away from tennis. I have no interest in the players remaining in the French Open, so whoever wins the thing I'm at a whatever at best.

·
Registered
48 Posts
One of the worst Sofia's match I have ever seen :cry: She looked like completely lost her confidence at the very start of the match. Her serve was horrible and 32 unforced errors in this short match were crazy. Big hugs to our beloved Sofia. I hope she will obtain some really good coach. Next months will be better.

·
Registered
928 Posts
One of the worst Sofia's match I have ever seen :cry: She looked like completely lost her confidence at the very start of the match. Her serve was horrible and 32 unforced errors in this short match were crazy. Big hugs to our beloved Sofia. I hope she will obtain some really good coach. Next months will be better.
Yeah it was a shit show from the start, and judging from the presser, she's fully aware of it too. But, at least Sofia handled the presser much better than she did in Australia, so all the credit in the world to her for that.

·
Registered
7,864 Posts
Yeah it was a shit show from the start, and judging from the presser, she's fully aware of it too. But, at least Sofia handled the presser much better than she did in Australia, so all the credit in the world to her for that.
indeed, she's very smart

·
Registered
928 Posts
Sofia withdrew from Berlin...
Hmm.

Just looked at the calendar, and the tournament is suppose to start on Monday, and all in all it's probably not a bad decision. Take a few days to get over that last match if she can, maybe look at coaching candidates. Hell who knows, maybe she'll try to get into the Bad Homburg Open before Eastbourne.

·
Registered
7,864 Posts
she also had a strap on her leg...but yes, hiring a coach is a priority, she needs to go back to a more waiting game, this power game can break down too easily now

·
Registered
928 Posts
Well... with Halep taking a wildcard for Bad Homburg, there is no way Sofia can enter that tournament if she wanted to. So it looks like no Sofia until Eastbourne.

EDIT: After looking at the dates, Bad Homberg is running the same week as Eastbourne, this later French Open this year has thrown everything out of whack.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hmm.

Just looked at the calendar, and the tournament is suppose to start on Monday, and all in all it's probably not a bad decision. Take a few days to get over that last match if she can, maybe look at coaching candidates. Hell who knows, maybe she'll try to get into the Bad Homburg Open before Eastbourne.
Berlin is starting on Monday, but Sofia would have a BYE in her 1st round. She could play her first match on Wednesday or Thursday. She maybe needs some rest and recovery. I hope Sofia will be playing Eastbourne at least.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Berlin is starting on Monday, but Sofia would have a BYE in her 1st round. She could play her first match on Wednesday or Thursday. She maybe needs some rest and recovery. I hope Sofia will be playing Eastbourne at least.
I hope she plays Eastbourne. It's bad enough that grass season seems a week shorter this year, but going into Wimbledon cold would not go well I believe. I always believe grass season should be longer, there's no reason that we need such long clay and hard court seasons.

·
Registered
6,972 Posts
She's still listed for Eastbourne.

Did she pick up any slight injury in Paris, because it's unusual for her not to play a large schedule, she could just have 1 grass court match at Eastbourne if things go wrong.

·
Registered
928 Posts
She's still listed for Eastbourne.

Did she pick up any slight injury in Paris, because it's unusual for her not to play a large schedule, she could just have 1 grass court match at Eastbourne if things go wrong.
She had the tape on her leg, but I feel that was used more as a precautionary measure than an actual injury, seeing as she's had issues with that leg off and on for years. I've found no news the last couple days that there was an injury. The only thing I can think of is what Sofia said in the press conference clip.

She was going to take a few days off, and wouldn't get into immediate plans because she didn't want to say or do the wrong thing.

Over all I don't think the loss itself is what bothered her so much, it's how badly she played is what shook her(by the look of it, it shook her bad). If I had to try and name the expression of what Sofia looked like in the presser, it would be a girl that was shell shocked.

·
Registered
7,864 Posts
she played bad but also credit to Sakkari for serving amazing and playing overall great... the defeats in rome and paris now don't look so bad

·
Registered
928 Posts
she played bad but also credit to Sakkari for serving amazing and playing overall great... the defeats in rome and paris now don't look so bad
I'm sure Sakkari played well, but we'll never truly know how well she would have played, had Sofia actually played well in the match. With all Sofia's UE's & DF's, Maria never had to do much other than keep the ball in play and let Sofia do the work for her. We'll never know if Sofia could have kept the match close, would Sakkari self destruct... maybe not, but it still makes me wonder what could have been.

Overall the tournament was a positive, and I'll always say that. Making it to the second week in this Slam, 3 years in a row on her weakest surface, is a big deal(at least it is for me). Her serving wasn't all that consistent, but the Sofia swagger & fight came back some after being gone for so long. Also her return of serve was better than it has been for a real long time, she didn't let her opponents ace her off the court. Maybe the Roland Garros clay had something to do with it, I don't know, but that made me happy to see in any case.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Why though? She'd have a few days to practice and after finally getting matches wins back-to-back, she stops? Maybe that loss hit her hard...

941 - 960 of 1147 Posts