Tennis Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
8,102 Posts
In fairness, her timing for the breakthrough was pretty rough - won a major and a follow-up title (thus indicating she'd sloughed off the pressure) just before full global lockdown went into effect, and never got a hometown tournament welcome in Indian Wells or Miami.

I don't think she'd be a big breakthrough cultural name anyways, but she would've gotten some level of promotion or attention at Indian Wells/Miami in 2020, and for obvious reasons that didn't happen, and for less obvious reasons it didn't happen during the 2020 US Open series (as weird as that whole time frame was).
More like she won a lowly International title, having to save match points against Jaqueline Christian. This came after she failed to win a match as a high seed at the two Premier-level tournaments in Dubai and Doha.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
I thought her match against Barty was really good despite the loss. Her game is there, just need more matches like she says.

However I hope she stops looking like shes gonna tear-up any moment during her matches.

In terms of Tennis World/US recognition, despite winning a grandslam during pre-covid, she still lacks presense behind Anisomova and Brady. I think Riske and Rogers are recognised more than her too. I dont know.

·
Registered
33,324 Posts
The timing was rough with the pandemic but mainstream US media largely ignored her after her AO title (no appearance on any talk show IIRC) and US stars are more and more forgotten by the media.

Brady was a Slam finalist a year ago and no one ever talks about her just like Vandeweghe had a great 2017 season (+ a Slam title in doubles in 2018) and she's competing in an ITF this week with very little fanfare.

Anisimova's 2017 French Open run did very little for her.

There's Coco bu the pandemic also stopped her hype machine right in its tracks.

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
I think if you want fame/endorsements... win USO and/or Wimbledon. Bonus if you can beat Serena, Naomi... and now Emma.

·
Keep calm and be gay.
52,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I think if you want fame/endorsements... win USO and/or Wimbledon. Bonus if you can beat Serena, Naomi... and now Emma.
She did win a slam (AO), reached another slam final (RG) and beat Serena in a slam (RG) but she did them all in the wrong 2 slams (for fame) 🥲

Reactions: morgendorffer

·
Registered
12,206 Posts
She seems honest, self-aware and realistic. This interview made me like her even more. Her fiery and emotional on-court demeanor is polarizing (I personally love it), but she never comes off as arrogant or bitchy. Not sure why she cops so much hate here.

As for her popularity, if she can get her form back to where it was, that will follow in no time.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I feel bad for her. She always looks kinda miserable out there. A bit like Sevastova but in a different way. The two Eeyores of WTA.

Hope she can find some form this year and enjoy being on court. She did well to back up her AO win with the RG final and it would be a shame if she just faded away.

·
Keep calm and be gay.
52,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Don’t worry honey, Aussies didn’t forget their 2020 champion!

They had her on national TV

Sofia Kenin on Novak Djokovic’s visa controversy

The 2 Aussie interviewers kept baiting her non stop all the way through till the end but she didn’t crack 🤣

and at the end they asked her whether she can win Australian Open again? :classicsmile:

Reactions: Aganim

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Don’t worry honey, Aussies didn’t forget their 2020 champion!

They had her on national TV

Sofia Kenin on Novak Djokovic’s visa controversy

The 2 Aussie interviewers kept baiting her non stop all the way through till the end but she didn’t crack 🤣

and at the end they asked her whether she can win Australian Open again? :classicsmile:
You can see how smart she is in that interview. So many players take the bait and speak out and make themselves enemies, either with the pro-vaxxers or the anti-vaxxers. This is a case where there isn't really a right opinion, it's not a 50/50 but it's also not a clear-cut case, there are arguments from both sides.

Sofia knows the right thing - sometimes it's better to keep the thoughts to oneself.

·
Keep calm and be gay.
52,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
You can see how smart she is in that interview. So many players take the bait and speak out and make themselves enemies, either with the pro-vaxxers or the anti-vaxxers. This is a case where there isn't really a right opinion, it's not a 50/50 but it's also not a clear-cut case, there are arguments from both sides.

Sofia knows the right thing - sometimes it's better to keep the thoughts to oneself.
Yup especially if we don’t know ALL the facts and details, just like she said. 😌

Reactions: Lisiu
41 - 52 of 52 Posts