Tennis Forum banner
1041 - 1060 of 1091 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
I'm not sure about this. Maybe she should keep a lower profile until she actually wins a few matches.

Of course it's all business and she has to keep the paymasters happy, but it's more fodder for the critics if things go awry.
Having a lower profile sounds great in principle. But it’s not like she can actually choose to keep a lower profile! She might as well find a way to express her own voice in the narrative swirling around her.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
I think it get it now. The blank profile pic, the 🚧🚧 profile text … it’s not because her Instagram is broken or someone has made a mistake, it is all deliberate!

The two 🚧🚧 signs represent how Emma herself is ‘under construction’ or ‘not the finished article’ as she said after one of her Transylvania matches late last year.

The blank profile pic may represent how others, both fans and critics, have put their own projections onto Emma as who she is, both as a person and a tennis player, characterising her as everything from ‘perfect’ to ‘one hit wonder’ as the advert says. In truth she is none of these narratives and is instead focused on her own self-improvement and writing her own story. 💖
I am not sure whether this is the right reason but I appreciate the effort in writing up this possible theory lol...if that's the case, why did she only do it on insta but not to her twitter profile pic :unsure: :unsure: ?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I am not sure whether this is the right reason but I appreciate the effort in writing up this possible theory lol...
I just think it makes too much sense to be wrong. And minor supporting evidence: Naomi Broady responded to Emma's instagram post with 2 under construction signs, which (assuming she knows more than we do) suggests that the Nike ad is related to the account going a bit whacky.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I am not sure whether this is the right reason but I appreciate the effort in writing up this possible theory lol...if that's the case, why did she only do it on insta but not to her twitter profile pic :unsure: :unsure: ?
Possibly because on insta she already has over 2mil fans and won't have to worry about people not finding her account. She is probably still trying to build her other social media accounts. Insta also has the worst comments after losing a match.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I just think it makes too much sense to be wrong. And minor supporting evidence: Naomi Broady responded to Emma's instagram post with 2 under construction signs, which (assuming she knows more than we do) suggests that the Nike ad is related to the account going a bit whacky.
Yeah killing couple of birds with one stone. Brilliant!

·
Registered
763 Posts
Having a lower profile sounds great in principle. But it’s not like she can actually choose to keep a lower profile! She might as well find a way to express her own voice in the narrative swirling around her.
Maybe... I just don't think the style of that ad and the timing of it would have been her preferred course of action if she was making decisions entirely by herself. But once you sign on the dotted line, you hand over some control...

·
Registered
373 Posts
Maybe... I just don't think the style of that ad and the timing of it would have been her preferred course of action if she was making decisions entirely by herself. But once you sign on the dotted line, you hand over some control...
I don't know. I think right before AO is a perfect time for this ad. Just when the whole world is noisily discussing her prospects in AO. I mean, look at the huge thread in GM predicting if she'll win or lose in 1R. It's the perfect time for her to say, I'm going to tune you all out and focus on my game.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Absolutely right. Caring about what other people say or think about you is like burdening yourself all of your life by carrying round a backpack full of rocks on your back wherever you go. Take that backpack off, free yourself! 🥰
Seriously. My own expectations and disappointments are already heavy enough burdens to carry around. Never mind other people’s.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Emma has so many different T-shirts - I wonder if Nike make her wear them on a rota to show off their full range or if she just picks out one at random off her T-shirt pile every morning. 🤣

1041 - 1060 of 1091 Posts