Tennis Forum banner
1021 - 1040 of 1431 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Note that the ad doesn’t just dwell on the criticisms of her but also of the statements made praising her. I admire her self-awareness.
Reminds me of Billie Jean King's comments that Emma should ignore all of the commentary good or bad, as the good stuff will give her a big head and the bad...well we know what that does.

Love the defiant message, what a great ad!

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
So she still hasn't updated her insta profile pic even after posting this ad...either the person operating the account forgot about it or maybe they are planning to have a new pic (maybe some photoshoot) which hasn't come out yet

·
Registered
134 Posts
Reminds me of Billie Jean King's comments that Emma should ignore all of the commentary good or bad, as the good stuff will give her a big head and the bad...well we know what that does.

Love the defiant message, what a great ad!
Yes, too much praises from others gives you free dopamine (= no need to work for it) and alters your sense of reality as well.

I agree with everyone, what a great ad and brave and aware Emma.

Loved the last part too "World off. Game on".

·
Registered
421 Posts
Nike did a great job with the ad. Got the attention of both her fans and her “haters.” It’s the best sponsored content on social media I have ever seen. It’s just so timely and to the point. She also cleverly managed to use her sponsor to put out a message. Usually it’s purely the other way around. This ad is so well put together that people are retweeting it - it’s like she got paid a load of money and free professional help to put out exactly the message she wants to put out to the public. Sure she doesn’t have a personal journalist or newspaper to write pieces that relay her point of view, but that’s ok, she’s got Nike to make a perfect ad. I’m really very impressed by her and Nike (and all the talented people that made it happen).

·
Registered
993 Posts
So she still hasn't updated her insta profile pic even after posting this ad...either the person operating the account forgot about it or maybe they are planning to have a new pic (maybe some photoshoot) which hasn't come out yet
I think it get it now. The blank profile pic, the 🚧🚧 profile text … it’s not because her Instagram is broken or someone has made a mistake, it is all deliberate!

The two 🚧🚧 signs represent how Emma herself is ‘under construction’ or ‘not the finished article’ as she said after one of her Transylvania matches late last year.

The blank profile pic may represent how others, both fans and critics, have put their own projections onto Emma as who she is, both as a person and a tennis player, characterising her as everything from ‘perfect’ to ‘one hit wonder’ as the advert says. In truth she is none of these narratives and is instead focused on her own self-improvement and writing her own story. 💖

·
Registered
259 Posts
I think it get it now. The blank profile pic, the 🚧🚧 profile text … it’s not because her Instagram is broken or someone has made a mistake, it is all deliberate!

The two 🚧🚧 signs represent how Emma herself is ‘under construction’ or ‘not the finished article’ as she said after one of her Transylvania matches late last year.

The blank profile pic may represent how others, both fans and critics, have put their own projections onto Emma as who she is, both as a person and a tennis player, characterising her as everything from ‘perfect’ to ‘one hit wonder’ as the advert says. In truth she is none of these narratives and is instead focused on her own self-improvement and writing her own story. 💖
Holy crap, mind blown. That's why her account no longer shows posts she's tagged in. As the ad says, she's shutting out the world. That's actually a really interesting way of getting the message across - it certainly got us talking.

@aca99da you're a genius. Or maybe I'm an idiot. Yeah, don't get too excited, it's probably the latter. :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Great advert, very clever, just wish it lasted a bit longer its over too quick!! Took a few views to realise what they were getting at. As for her IG profile pic they should put a "?" in there for a laugh, that would really confuse people.😁 Anyway I'm off to watch the ad a few more times.

·
Registered
91 Posts

That was the Telegraph's take on it as well from their latest article: Emma Raducanu's new Nike advert decoded - what are the messages she's sending?

"Her Instagram page also now has a double ‘barrier’ sign emoji. The message again appears clear. She is shutting her ears to the outside noise and switching her sole focus to tennis."

·
Registered
993 Posts
That was the Telegraph's take on it as well from their latest article: Emma Raducanu's new Nike advert decoded - what are the messages she's sending?

"Her Instagram page also now has a double ‘barrier’ sign emoji. The message again appears clear. She is shutting her ears to the outside noise and switching her sole focus to tennis."
Fancy the Telegraph copying my ideas! 😮 I should demand royalties! 😂

Also welcome to the Emma section of the forums vittoria 🙂

·
Registered
825 Posts
I'm not sure about this. Maybe she should keep a lower profile until she actually wins a few matches.

Of course it's all business and she has to keep the paymasters happy, but it's more fodder for the critics if things go awry.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I'm not sure about this. Maybe she should keep a lower profile until she actually wins a few matches.

Of course it's all business and she has to keep the paymasters happy, but it's more fodder for the critics if things go awry.
Having a lower profile sounds great in principle. But it’s not like she can actually choose to keep a lower profile! She might as well find a way to express her own voice in the narrative swirling around her.

·
Registered
5,555 Posts

I am not sure whether this is the right reason but I appreciate the effort in writing up this possible theory lol...if that's the case, why did she only do it on insta but not to her twitter profile pic :unsure: :unsure: ?

1021 - 1040 of 1431 Posts