Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 585 Posts

·
Registered
9,567 Posts
That 'HOMEEE' one is definitely one of my favourite tennis pics of all time, and yes, I was one of the 1,052,716 :LOL:

She's less than 6,000 shy of passing 1.7m followers. It's obviously levelling off a bit now, but she could get near / beyond 2m by the end of the week, especially if she does a few more appearances.

Not sure if she's heading back to the UK at some point to see her family, or if she's just going to stay in the States for IW (and possible Chicago - although I would be withdrawing from that if I was her).

·
Registered
9,567 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: stano00

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
That 'HOMEEE' one is definitely one of my favourite tennis pics of all time, and yes, I was one of the 1,052,716 :LOL:

She's less than 6,000 shy of passing 1.7m followers. It's obviously levelling off a bit now, but she could get near / beyond 2m by the end of the week, especially if she does a few more appearances.

Not sure if she's heading back to the UK at some point to see her family, or if she's just going to stay in the States for IW (and possible Chicago - although I would be withdrawing from that if I was her).
Yeah, the one with the GB flag behind it was a cracker.

·
Registered
9,567 Posts
The 'likes' will surely level off at some point since she has gained over 1m new followers in about 4 days, but talk about an 'engaged' fan base. Over 1m for that first post win pic, just shy of 900k for the second, and then 370k for a pic that was posted between 1 and 2 hours ago. Brands are going to want to be all over that.

Probably only a matter of time before she matches Anthony Joshua as the sports person who is all over the adverts here.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Yeah it will be interesting to see what the engagement level will be once the media attention around the win cools off a bit. Even if it is half of what it is now, that is still an insanely high number.

I do hope she/her team remain selective about their partnerships and focus on building long-standing relationship with flagship high-end brands like Federer has with Rolex/Moet. She obviously has had a great start with Chanel and Tiffanys at the US Open and the Met Gala. Her manager must be looking to sign with companies with truly international appeal (there aren't many large British ones in the luxury goods sector) to take advantage of her multi-cultural appeal, and particularly China.

Of course, all of this will depend on her results. I do think Emma understands this and that she is interested in the business side of the sport and how to leverage her fame/popularity to build a brand like Sharapova did. I know many people here scoff about these sorts of things but this is an important part of being a tennis "star". It brings attention and more people to the sport which is important. The key is obviously to not lose sight of tennis. This is where I think Naomi has struggled with a little recently (although the long gaps haven't helped). Sharapova, despite having numerous side ventures and businesses, was singularly dedicated to her results.

After being a Petra fan for a decade and suffering through the numerous lows (and enormous highs), its great to finally have a new player to support, especially as Petra seems to be on the verge of retirement. They couldn't be more different, in both mentality and playing style. I cannot wait to see what the future holds for Emma.

1 - 20 of 585 Posts