Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If Venus won the 2001 Australian and French and Jen won Wimbledon and US, would we be Questioning number 1?..No I don't think so, it seems the most some posters can only think back as far as 2 slams ago and when a new one comes along (Like jen winning OZ 2002), they try and ignore it as long as possible. No matter which way you look at it, Venus and Jen have won the last 4 grandslams (looking at it on a years point of view).

Jennifer won the last, Venus was not good enough to have a say in it, so it is clear, for this moment Jennifer is number 1.

Before the williams fans bleat, look at this years record...

Venus, a tier 3 and a qf at the open

Jen..1st round at tier 2 and the slam..you know which one is better.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
20,610 Posts
Jennifer is the best in the world right now... she has proven it. So there. But the thing is *right now*, the season lasts for a year. Opinions do change as the season goes on, and certianly, the best player may change throughout the year. Well, at the end of last year, Venus was certianly playing like she was the best player in the world. But right now, it is Jennifer.

And if Venus did win the Aus Open, she'd be the best player in the world right now, but she didn't and Jennifer did, so Jennifer is the best in the world now.

·
Registered
14,818 Posts
hate to say it

but marti's really playing like the best in the world right now ;)
1 tier 2, 1 tier 1, and matchpoint from a slam
pretty good i say

·
20,610 Posts
Thanks VivaSeles!! :bounce: :kiss:

·
Premium Member
11,130 Posts
Well said ads.....
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Sorry, this has no regards to the topic, really.

But, I maintain that Martina should be #1. She's #1 in my heart, anyway.

Okay, people, you should probably just skip over this post. Jaz my thoughts. ;)

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
JCap is #1 in the WTA rankings. Undeniable fact. But that doesn't mean she's the best right now. JCap won the 1st slam of the year but she also lost in the 2d round of the previous tournament, against a low ranked player! That is not the best for me. I'm not a hingis fan but I have to go with her here! She won 2 tournaments already this year, and reached the finals of AO. That's consistency and overall better results than Capriati's. Of course, hingis would rather give away her 2 tiers for the slam she lost......but the results speak for themselves. Two titles, one final in 4weeks!
Hingis win-loss record is 14-1
Venus is 9-1
JCap is 7-1

JCap has all credit for winning AO and she deserved it. But we all know how easier can a slam be won with a "good" draw! Unfortunately, JCap will resume her play only at Scottsdale. We'll see if she can keep it up there! But right now, Hingis' consistency has the edge!

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Hingis is very consistent for sure. But I think if you asked Venus or Martina to trade in their titles(or their win-loss record for the year) this year for the AO crown, they would. Hands down.

Martina is a great player. She has had the best career of current players in the top 5.

·
20,610 Posts
I most certainly agree. The slam is worth so much!!

·
Premium Member
11,130 Posts
JCap has all credit for winning AO and she deserved it. But we all know how easier can a slam be won with a "good" draw!
that's irrelevant , because once it gets in to the second week of the tournament it doesnt matter who you play the draw is gonna be tough...and to proceed to win the title she did have to beat others(ie Hingis) who were obviously good enuf to make the last 4 or 2 out of a field of 128!

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
No one questions Cap's Grand Slam wins. They really happened.
It's just that 0-4 record against VENUS that makes her "best of the bunch" title a little questionable.
But, she is a great media story to come back from being a convicted thief, drug abuser and misfit to a Grand Slam winner.

·
Banned
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't know if you have noticed dinosaur, but sinced you slagged of Martina/Monica/Jen in a 24 hour period, everyone thinks your opinion is crap..personally, the only thing lower then your opinion is you as a person.....Anyone that hates white people like you is a sad sad person.

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Adrian - Everyone does not hate me. That is a realm that YOU seem to dwell in at this time.
When did I saw I am not white?
Does it make a difference to you if I am or am not white?
Is ANNA KOURNIOVA black? Please look in her fan thread.

First you play the lie card, then the hate card, now the race card.
You almost have a full house, buddy.

I still don't and never did hate you, my friend.
I do, however, pity your poor pathetic ass though.

Have a nice day.

·
Banned
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So please inform me where I lied for a start...then I'll deal with the rest of your crap.

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
I presume that the term "slag" is to make some manner of false accusation or slander against another individual.
If that is the case, then I have not done so against Hingis, Capriati or Seles.
YOU then lied by accusing me of such falsifications.

You further lied by implying that I hate white people and that is impossible for me to do so, in that it would necessitate my hating myself and I dearly love myself.

Any other questions, little boy/girl?

·
Registered
24,901 Posts
I'd say that jenny is the best player at the mo but her next tournie is scotsdale so how cna we measure her against anyone ?

·
Registered
293 Posts
great post adrian. If you were on the other board, were you? You'd realize what a hate monger this piece of trash is.
It's great Venus and Serena turned out ok even though there dad was a wife beater, and even though he left his last family high and dry.

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Hmmm, jrj, excuse me but didn't Stephano divorce his wife and leave her for a new girlfriend/mistress leaving Jenn's sickly mom without a husband to help her and Jenn on the road to bad deeds?

I could be wrong. Please correct any misinformation.

·
Registered
293 Posts
the last I checked he didn't leave in the middle of the night like the criminal Richard is and doesn't even pay child support or alimony.
Rexx, you need to let out all that is troubling you from the fact that the Williams haven't lived up to your lofty expectations, to the fact that you were likely not very popular in any time of your life, to the fact that you don't like white people very much. At some time you need to let out a good cry to let out what is troubling you, the sooner the better.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
LMAO @ this thread.

Anybody who feels it is perfectly entitled to question Jen's #1. I for one think that they would be barking up the wrong tree to do so, but uniformity of opinion is so dull.

Adrian and jrj it disturbs me that you would both feel the need to resort to, frankly, cheap insults, in trying to get your point across to someone who, quite simply, holds a different opinion to your own.

I personally think Tee has a point about Capriati being 0-4 against Venus, though I don't think this 1) in any way invalidates her rightful status as #1 or 2) is particularly relevant to this thread.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts