Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Justine used to choke in matches, as did Serena, but both have overcome that. What will it take for Kim to become like Serena and Justine instead of another Sabatini or Novotna?

· Registered
3,472 Posts
She just has to get good and tired of losing. :cool:

· Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not even sure Kim admits that she gets tight. She denied choking in Australia (said Serena lifted her game), and she gave all credit to Justine for winning on Roland Garros.

Kim needs to admit that she chokes, and then she can deal with it.

· Registered
3,065 Posts
Exactly

· Registered
11,974 Posts
jenglisbe said:
I'm not even sure Kim admits that she gets tight. She denied choking in Australia (said Serena lifted her game), and she gave all credit to Justine for winning on Roland Garros.

Kim needs to admit that she chokes, and then she can deal with it.
Becuz of the speech ("Justine played great"....) I don't think she will admit she choked. :mad: :mad: only from the moment she admits...it will help her. Now her coach has to tell her she choked from the start till 3-0 and again when she had setpoints.

· Registered
122,509 Posts
Kim was close to winning her FO final against Jenn.
It seems like she feels the pressure in slam finals more this year.
Making the finals of a slam is the only chance to win one.
And this the weakest field for a major that Kim will see.

· Registered
3,730 Posts
She's going to have to live through these moments until she realizes that this is not how you handle a situation. I say someone should sit her down and make her watch the RG final and this one because until she admits she played like shit both times, she's never going to win a Slam.

· Registered
15,432 Posts
I'm trying to pin point the problem and it
looked like there was no plan "B" nor conviction
at times; it went in and out.

Perhaps a fresh approach with a different
coach could be the thing.

I don't buy the Kim's too "nice" theory. She
wants to win; that's obvious. "Nice" isnt' the
problem. Defensive playing at the wrong times
really could be the thing holding her back.

· Registered
47,657 Posts
One thing, Serena never choked in FINALS! See her record in GS finals: 6-1! Serena´s like this: either she goes all the way or she loses in the qrtrs.

For Kim: only one thing: Girl you have got to get MEANER!

· Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Greenout - she's too nice in the sense that she won't do anything it takes to win. Serena and, moreso, Justine will do anything to win - stare down their opponent, cheat, take conventient breaks, yell at an umpire, etc. It's representative of how those two will dig deep to will a win. Kim just stays pleasant and sort of does her thing - if it works, good, if it doesn't, life will go on. She doesn't need to win, and that is why she can't dig inside herself in these big occasions. It's in that sense that she's too "nice" to win.

bandabou - there were a number of matches from 2000-2001 that Serena choked/got tight in (am thinking in particular of her matches against Jennifer and against her sister).

· Registered
15,432 Posts
I think Kim is classy. She can win- look at Monica
and Lindsay. Kim doesn't need to get down and
dirty like a shameless contestant on a reality tv
show like "SURVIVOR" if that's what you think she
should be doing.

· Registered
47,657 Posts
jenglisbe said:
Greenout - she's too nice in the sense that she won't do anything it takes to win. Serena and, moreso, Justine will do anything to win - stare down their opponent, cheat, take conventient breaks, yell at an umpire, etc. It's representative of how those two will dig deep to will a win. Kim just stays pleasant and sort of does her thing - if it works, good, if it doesn't, life will go on. She doesn't need to win, and that is why she can't dig inside herself in these big occasions. It's in that sense that she's too "nice" to win.

bandabou - there were a number of matches from 2000-2001 that Serena choked/got tight in (am thinking in particular of her matches against Jennifer and against her sister).
I know, but she never choked in a GS final( well, only once). As with Kim she has choked in at least two already and has yet to win one!

· Registered
7,821 Posts
jenglisbe said:

I am sure Kim has more dignity than you. Now Kim's problem is that she doesn't cheat :rolleyes:

oh I see how Justine cheated in this match. She even agreed with Capriati to play a 3 hours match the night before to make it look more credible.

and Serena? when the fuck has she cheated in a grand slam final? I am far from being a Serena fan but would you show some dignity and admit a loss or shut the fuck up? now you are lying to try to justify why your favourite lost? and attacking other players?

I am sure Steffi Graf must have cheated a lot since she won 22 GSs :rolleyes:

You are truly pathetic

· Moderator - Juniors
12,961 Posts
Kim needs to learn from the experience of these finals, and look at the examples of the players around her who are winning them. The players who are winning are going for it when the chance is in front of them. Kim starts out nervous, and never seems to fully recover. Tonight, she got herself into a position to win the opening set, and she didn't go for it. Justine went for it to get back into the match, and then went for it to win that set and eventually win the match. Kim needs to learn from that example and see that she has to *win* the last match, not expect her opponent to lose.

· Registered
15,432 Posts
Fingon,

How about starting giving it something less
demanding like perhaps....1 left brained cell
to begin with. LOL

· Registered
22,221 Posts
Greenout said:
I think Kim is classy. She can win- look at Monica
and Lindsay. Kim doesn't need to get down and
dirty like a shameless contestant on a reality tv
show like "SURVIVOR" if that's what you think she
should be doing.
Point being?

Kim needs to get real and stop being so nice.
She needs to start worrying more about herself than others.
She's allowed to be a little selfish, it won't make her a bad person.

She kind of reminds me of the mother's I see on Oprah.
She's so busy taking care of and worrying about others that she neglects herself. Her losses aren't always or are as just as relevant to something she's not doing in relation to something the opponent is doing.

· Registered
15,432 Posts
Kabuke,

I guess Kim's just got to learn to be a down and
dirty, trash talking, selfish, self absorbed, narcistic,
arrogant, ego maniac, obnoxious, person who has
the temper of a psycho to win. LOL. I just think
being competative is what it takes...it just doesn't
seem to be in her very nature to take the uglier
road.

· Registered
3,730 Posts
Well, this looks like a promising start. Could it be, could this finally have pissed her off? I guess only time will tell . . .

Justine Henin-Hardenne of Belgium (L) stands with compatriot Kim Clijsters after the women's final at the 2003 U.S. Open in Flushing, New York, September 6, 2003. Henin-Hardenne defeated Clijsters 7-5 6-1. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.