Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hantuchova was once called "Little Venus" and the future answer to the williams tour dominance, but after her 6-3, 6-3 loss to the still cigarette smoking veteran, Conchi Martinez, it looks more like Dani is going the way of Dokic and the dodo bird.

Much has already been said about her weight or lack of weight, but it now looks like she has problems with her game as well.

So now it just looks like who will drop out of the top ten first; Dani or Dokic.

·
Registered
802 Posts
TeeRexx said:
Hantuchova was once called "Little Venus" and the future answer to the williams tour dominance, but after her 6-3, 6-3 loss to the still cigarette smoking veteran, Conchi Martinez, it looks more like Dani is going the way of Dokic and the dodo bird.
:eek: I knew that Amelie doesn't mind a cigarette from time to time but I had no idea about Conchita.

·
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.
49,309 Posts
She's in a bit of a slump...and she played Conchita 4 Time Winner.... on clay. That's really not that much of a stretch to think that CM could/would/should beat DH.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
maybe she is just crap or not as good as her fluky run at indian wells??

·
Registered
991 Posts
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
390 Posts
She's in slump for sure, but let's just remember that we're talking about one tournament win (where she beat 2 top ten players) and, 2 grand slam quarters.

That's not the kind of form that necessarily sets the world alight.

Sure she's much better than her current form suggests, but apart from Indian Wells, I don't know the last time she even reached a final.

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
She reached an indoors final last year (Filderstadt?) and lost to Clijsters in three sets.

I saw the match on TV today, and I don't think her weight is a particular problem. She's a bit thin, but not worryingly so. No, her problems are that she uses very little brain on court, goes for winners too early and gets flustered when people figure out her game plan. A bit of a sophomore slump, too.

She's still doing better than Dokic... she's having semi-decent results.

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
Daniela is very much like Venus still, neither player is sure on how to win anymore.

·
Registered
427 Posts
TeeRexx said:

Much has already been said about her weight or lack of weight, but it now looks like she has problems with her game as well.

So now it just looks like who will drop out of the top ten first; Dani or Dokic.

Like Flatstat pointed out, you should be asking, what happened to the "big venus". She's your favorite & not doing any better then the "little venus" lately.

Try something you MIGHT have a clue about, since your board name & brain cell count are the only things around here with anything in common to the "dodo bird". :eek: ;)

sartrista7 said:
She reached an indoors final last year (Filderstadt?) and lost to Clijsters in three sets.

I saw the match on TV today, and I don't think her weight is a particular problem. She's a bit thin, but not worryingly so. No, her problems are that she uses very little brain on court, goes for winners too early and gets flustered when people figure out her game plan. A bit of a sophomore slump, too.

She's still doing better than Dokic... she's having semi-decent results.

yes, Daniela ( not just teerex :p ) could use her brain more also & work out better strategies.

I agree she's doing better then Jelena ATM, but I think Jelena may pull out of her slump sooner. As Jelena works through her BIG changes & the rust from her late start.

;)

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
I know what Dani's problem is, she doesn't expect players to get certain shots back, and she doesn't expect them to figure out her gameplan. She then gets frustrated, and goes off her gameplan, instead of chaning it up, she decides to go all out (pull a dumb Lucic on them) And she is going down. I remember watching her against Venus 2001 Australian, she was surprised she was up, and had set in hand. She was also surprised of the errors Venus was giving her. But the start of the second set, Venus picked it up, and that there was enough to throw her off, and when the 3rd set came along, she picked it up, but not as much as venus, and mentally venus got that win in!

Its like she doesn't expect certain things to happen on the tennis court. I think she needs to be taught that this is tennis and anything can happen. Hell in any sport anything can happen, anyone can come back in win (wishing the Lakers did that 2 nites ago) and turn the match around. She is in a slump, and she is loosing to some players she should be beating. She has the power and play to get past Conchita in straight sets, but LIke i said before, i saw Conhita winning this match in straight sets! yes conchita is playing well as of late, but Dani's best against conchitas best, and hantuchova would win 8 out of 10 times. She really i think needs to take a break, look at tapes and realize what she is doing wrong, realize she needs to be more patient and expect the unexpected when she is out there on the court.

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
Myskina Lina said:
yes, Daniela ( not just teerex :p ) could use her brain more also & work out better strategies.
She actually did; at the start of the second set, she went up 2-0 by serving and volleying and generally going to net. Then she stopped, and started hitting UES again.

·
Banned
845 Posts
Flatstat said:
Daniela is very much like Venus still, neither player is sure on how to win anymore.
Are you an ass or what? How can you compare Venus to Daniela, Venus reached finals and if she was not hurt in Warsaw she would have won toat tournment.

·
Registered
172 Posts
It's a bad loss but from the commentary today it seems Daniela had out psyched herself before the match began. She looked nervous and even commentator Chris Bradnam (very close mate to Daniela's coach who rarely says a bad word about her) said she didn't look focused.

Daniela and Nigel build her season around the Slams, Nigel will have viewed today's match as preparation for Roland Garros first and foremost. Daniela v Conchita at Roland Garros would be a totally different affair :cool:

Daniela it has to be said is a big match player. Despite being completely exhausted she somehow dug deep within herself to beat Conchita in the Fed Cup Final. When it really matters she finds her best game. Let's see how she does at the French. :)

Good to see peeps have stopped talking about Daniela being anorexic :)

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
SerenaSlam said:
She really i think needs to take a break, look at tapes and realize what she is doing wrong, realize she needs to be more patient and expect the unexpected when she is out there on the court.
Maybe falling from the top ten will make her some good.
A break wouldn't be bad at all for her.
She has that concentration factor that is cool, but I aggree that she should expect something that wasn't in her plans.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Daniela results this year can't even compare to Venus (whom she had beaten in the AO quarters).

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
Flatstat said:
2003 tournament records

Code:
[u]V.Williams[/u]
Australian Open       FR L S.WILLIAMS  6-7 6-3 4-6
[color=red][b]Antwerp               CH W CLIJSTERS   6-2 6-4[/b][/color]  
Miami                 16 L SHAUGHNESSY 6-7 1-6   
Warsaw                FR L MAURESMO    7-6 0-6 0-3 Ret

[u]D.Hantuchova[/u]
Sydney                QF L DAVENPORT  4-6 6-3 6-7   
Australian Open       QF L V.WILLIAMS 4-6 3-6   
Paris                 QF L DEMENTIEVA 5-7 3-6   
Antwerp               SF L V.WILLIAMS 1-6 4-6   
Indian Wells          16 L COETZER    4-6 4-6   
Miami                 64 L MOLIK      6-2 5-7 0-6   
Charleston            QF L HARKLEROAD 2-6 1-6   
Amelia Island         QF L DEMENTIEVA 0-6 1-6   
Warsaw                16 L ZULUAGA    2-6 4-6   
Berlin                QF L CLIJSTERS  0-6 3-6   
Rome                  16 L MARTINEZ   6-3 6-3

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Myskina Lina - Only a mental midget like you would even dare to compare the career, accomplishments and ability of VENUS to Dani.

Your childish personal attacks only further emphasize your limited intelectual capabilities.

Try and have a good day.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts