Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
25,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Honestly, I like TTC's coverage better than ESPN, but I'm not really surprised about that because it doesn't really seem as if ESPN takes womens tennis seriously; whereas, TTC has given us quite a few womens matches.

As far as the commentary, though, I'm delightfully surprised at Renae Stubbs. On the court, she seems ferocious and moody, but in front of the camera, she seems very intelligent and fairly analytical.

Also, Chanda Rubin started the week out rather meekly, but she is coming on strongly with her analysis as well. I still think she's timid, but she should be fine.

I'm pretty sure Thomas Blake is stoned every time he's on cam, but some of his commentary makes sense. Hell, he rode in on his brother's coattails. I'd do the same if given the opportunity.

Martina and Johnny Mc are wonderful other than the fact that they really, really, really like to talk about themselves. Really, really, really....

·
Registered
13,541 Posts
Re: So....what do you think of the TTC commentators?

I love Chanda commentating, I like Martina and J Mac also.
The rest suck!

·
Registered
25,015 Posts

I like Rennae and Chanda the most.

Katrina keeps making too many mistakes. :eek:

·
Registered
10,890 Posts

I think the TTC commentators are doing as good or better than ESPN2's crew. Probably better actually, because Cliff really doesn't bring a hell of a lot of in depth knowledge to the table. I really do like Chanda in terms of articulation and knowledge about the game. She's kind of in the Tracy Austin category, though not nearly as opinionated yet. McEnroe & Navratilova are great. Stubbs is good but maybe a bit biased at times. I really hate a couple of them though...Mackay and I'm not crazy about Leif Shiras.

·
Registered
25,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I think the TTC commentators are doing as good or better than ESPN2's crew. Probably better actually, because Cliff really doesn't bring a hell of a lot of in depth knowledge to the table. I really do like Chanda in terms of articulation and knowledge about the game. She's kind of in the Tracy Austin category, though not nearly as opinionated yet. McEnroe & Navratilova are great. Stubbs is good but maybe a bit biased at times. I really hate a couple of them though...Mackay and I'm not crazy about Leif Shiras.
Yeah, Shiras does kinda spoil the whole bunch.

·
10,576 Posts

Chanda I like. :)

Martina and John make me sick. Justin is a loser.

·
Registered
20,122 Posts

Any Serena? errors?

One of the Aussie commentators called Serena Venus. :lol: At least that's better than Cliffy's Serena?

Shiras is quite annoying.

·
Registered
10,890 Posts

Any Serena? errors?

One of the Aussie commentators called Serena Venus. :lol: At least that's better than Cliffy's Serena?

Shiras is quite annoying.
Martina started to call Serena Venus but very quickly corrected herself.

·
Registered
20,122 Posts

Martina started to call Serena Venus but very quickly corrected herself.
Really, what are the commentators smoking? :confused:

·
Registered
25,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Whatever they're smoking, they're getting from T. Blake. Honestly, am I the only one who sees that this cat is high as a kite while he's on camera?

·
Registered
10,890 Posts

Whatever they're smoking, they're getting from T. Blake. Honestly, am I the only one who sees that this cat is high as a kite while he's on camera?
I'm not sure I would go as far as to say he's high on camera...though I do think the hair "style" lends itself to that theory. Then again, he may be high. :lol:

·
Registered
17,211 Posts

I'm not sure I would go as far as to say he's high on camera...though I do think the hair "style" lends itself to that theory. Then again, he may be high. :lol:
If he's high, it's to stop him from being a nervous bumbling fool like Gimblestob.
Someone needs to tell him though there's absolutely no way he can make that "hairstyle" of his professional.
He looks like Medusa's illegitamate son.

·
Registered
13,032 Posts

Totally agree about Rennae. She has been fantastic. Now if only there were less Barry Mackay...I think he is the one that spoils it for the whole bunch. It is not necessary for commentators to call the lines, we have linespeople for that.

·
Premium Member
19,825 Posts

I like Renae Stubbs the best. She's very positive and gives great analysis during tennis matches.

Chanda is very informative and has a knack for properly evaluating any weakness . However, I think sometimes Chanda can be a bit robotic. Love her though.

I agree with everyone about Thomas Blake. He needs to put the chronic down. Rasta!:tape: :lol:

TTC should fire Martina because the negativity spewed from her end has only intensified every day she's covered a match. She's also self absorbed and still harps on the past.

I'm starting to like Johnny Mac more these days. With old age he's become more relaxed and as always provides us with excellent commentary.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts

Here`s my thoughts on the commentators:

Chanda is pretty good and informative, however i like to see her loosen up.

Thomas Blake seems like a cool dude, but like everyone else has said, he needs to at least take few tokes before coming on the air.

Martina is great by providing her wealth of knowledge, but at times can be annoying with some of her opinions.

John has been much better than i expected. He also does a great job of bringing his knowledge to the table and has been a lot more relax.

In all i also think that the Tennis Channel commentators are better than ESPN`s. However their play by play people lag far behind the legendary Dick Enberg and the always classy Cliff Drysdale IMO.

·
Writer of Stuff
8,734 Posts

Rubin is a good 'find' by TTC. She should replace Katrina Adams permanently. Mac and Martina add alot to the telecast, opinionated or not.

Shiras & Adams need to find other work ASAP. Same for Blake. MacKay is serviceable, but barely.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts