Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Personally, I think it's like a breath of fresh air after ESPN for all the other slams.

Love Tracy Austin more every day. She reminds me of a stern school teacher whose a little rough around the edges but is usually right in her opinions. You don't always like them, but usually they're on cue.

Bill Macatee(?) Didn't realize how much I liked him until they had Michael Barkann in his place today. They need to practice with him a little more, before they let him announce any more matches.

surprisingly Jim Courier hasn't annoyed me as much this time around. Even JohnnyMac and Ted Robinson, are pretty cool.

I love the way they jump around to all the different matches. Of course they still show more of the men, than the women, but they're showing men other than the Americans, and they are nowhere near as jingoistic as espn is. All in all, very pleasant. :)

what do you guys think :D

·
In my new place!!
22,955 Posts
I like it, definitley better than other slams thats for sure!

·
Registered
115,461 Posts
Much better than ESPN.
I wish they would stay on straight through, instead of that afternoon break.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
espn really needs to get their act together.
they suck compared to USA.

·
Registered
17,922 Posts
I think they are doing a great job. There is less of the off-court stuff than in the past, and they are showing a lot of different matches that I would not have dreamed we'd be able to see. I give them high marks so far!

·
In my new place!!
22,955 Posts
:yeah:

·
Banned
86 Posts
I think USA is doing a GREAT job this year, and should be commended.

I was leery after they signed Anna :rolleyes:, but they have showing tons of actions, even more than other years.

The only minor complaints I have is:

1) They still focus a little more on the "prettier" players then they should. They didn't show much of Justine's match at all, and it was tight all the way... but they show nearly all of Dani's match, which was a blowout, when Federer was in trouble.

2) Show a little more of the outside courts.

But overall, it's been very enjoyable.

·
Banned
365 Posts
Can someone do live reports from the USopen

If you've been to the open...give us the LOW-Down (kinda like people did for the rogers att cup) :) thanks

·
Registered
527 Posts
USA has, by far, the best slam coverage so far. In the past, TNN's Wimbledon coverage gave it a run for the money, but this year all other coverage is being blown out of the water. USA should challenge ESPN's contract on the international slams. They could be like the Tennis Channel--except on cable.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If there's one good thing about not having a job right now, it's that at least I've been able to see almost all of USA's coverage thus far.

I still miss HBO's Wimbledon coverage, but the folks at USA are really outdoing themselves this year. It seems like they've listened to some of the feedback that viewers have offered up over the past couple of years, and they're actually making an effort to diversify their line-up. Even if they're only showing a point or two of certain matches, it's not like ESPN would even consider cutting to Younes El Aynaoui's first-round match, so their coverage has been a great change-of-pace from ESPN's all-American all-the-time coverage of the year's first three slams.

And Tracy Austin is an infinitely better commentator than the nightmare tag-team of Pam Shriver and Mary Jo Fernandez. And John McEnroe, even if he goes off on some seemingly bizarre tangents, is always entertaining. That, and he had some nice things to say about Maggie Maleeva earlier today, so he gets some bonus points there.

Now, if only they had a camera on Court 11 so I could see even a little bit of the Barbara Schett - Amanda Coetzer match...

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
They did have a camera on that Match. it was shown on Eurosport. ES haven't covered themselves in glory so far. but they had a good day today, with all female matches.

·
Banned
1,735 Posts
Love it. :bounce: :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Doc said:
They did have a camera on that Match. it was shown on Eurosport. ES haven't covered themselves in glory so far. but they had a good day today, with all female matches.
About 20 minutes after I posted that comment about the Coetzer/Schett match, USA cut from Davenport/Camerin match to show its final game. Ask and ye shall receive, I guess...

Schett's reaction after the final point was strange. I know she has something of an irreverent sense of humor, but raising her arms in mock jubilation after double-faulting to lose a match she was controlling for a set-and-a-half was one of the more bizarre gestures I've seen in a while.

Still, I'm grateful for any and all television coverage Coetzer receives!

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
:bigclap: :worship: :bigclap: :bigclap: :worship: :bigclap: :bigclap: :worship: :bigclap: :bigclap: :worship: :bigclap: :bigclap: :worship: :bigclap: :bigclap: :worship: :bigclap: :bigclap: :worship: :bigclap:

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
So far so good. Anything is better then ESPN! I enjoy Tracey Austin. I like when she breaks down the serves. It's been an eye opener for me. I also like the "getting to Know player X" segment that they do before a feature match. You get to see the players talk about themselves etc. It's great! ALSO>>>>>>>>>> is it me or are the comercials few and quick? They aren't killing us w/ comercials like TNT did. I did like TNT's around the court or whatever they did at Wimby a year or two ago. Where they just went to every court to give you an update then focused on one match.

·
Banned
86 Posts
Trogdor said:
About 20 minutes after I posted that comment about the Coetzer/Schett match, USA cut from Davenport/Camerin match to show its final game. Ask and ye shall receive, I guess...

Schett's reaction after the final point was strange. I know she has something of an irreverent sense of humor, but raising her arms in mock jubilation after double-faulting to lose a match she was controlling for a set-and-a-half was one of the more bizarre gestures I've seen in a while.

Still, I'm grateful for any and all television coverage Coetzer receives!
I know... what was up with Babsi in that final game? :confused: She kind of clapped when she missed her 1st serve on MP, then rushed to hit her 2nd, dumped it in the net, and raised her arms in victory.

Methinks she's lacking in the confidence department.

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
USA is sosososo much betta then ESPN!!! I'd rather have Pam over Tracy tho, Tracy repeats herself alot.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts