Tennis Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always have to laugh about it when the commentators start to tell the fairy-tale about Sharapova´s life...so I just thought it would be fun to make a list about the "facts" of her life. Mysteriously no one knows if some parts of the story is true, so I´ll start:

• Maria was born one year after the tschernobyl-accident, which let the family to go to Siberia
  • she was around six when Yevgeny Kafelnikov saw her and he and the father bought her the first racket
  • she was around eight/nine when out of a sudden Navratilova saw little Maria and wanted her to go to Florida
  • Father and daughter stepped on a plane having only 500$ in their pockets
  • Maria was presented to Bollettieri right after they arrived in the US
  • Father Yuri had to work at McDonald´s to secure their life
  • Father Yuri had a job as a tennis coach in a far far away city, so he had to leave Maria alone
  • Maria missed her mother who wasn´t allowed to come to the US
  • Maria was the punching-ball for the other girls at the Bollettieri-Cam
  • Maria was so homesick she wanted to go home after a while
...ok, I am pretty sure that I know more Fairy-tale stories about her, but I can´t come up with more, so it´s your turn now. She should write a book about herself then we would finally know what´s true and what is not...

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
6,694 Posts
Spunky83 said:
she was around eight/nine when out of a sudden Navratilova saw little Maria and wanted her to go to Florida
...or was it five...?...or was it seven...?...it keeps changing... :scratch:

:)

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
I thought she was born in Siberia?

·
Registered
17,733 Posts
Ok I dont think they had just $500 if they were that badly off, they could have taken the chaper alternative of going to that really shabby club Spartak in Moscow. Some of the AWFUL players produced there such as Dementieva, Myskina, Kournikova, Safina etc would have been ok to train with I guess.

·
Registered
17,733 Posts
OK Yuri worked as a road builder or something not at MacDonnalds :p

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
yeah, i don't find the Sharapova "fairy tale", or Sharapova herself, particularly authentic...

but, you know, she won Wimbledon. And for all the phoniness and over-hyping of the Sharapova story, you don't get any more legit than beating Serena Williams to win Wimbledon. Nobody can ever take it away from her.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I heard one of the commentators on BBC say she used to get bullied at her tennis school. Sad :(

I guess since it was a tennis academy, some of the bullies might even be on the tour now too?

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
Tracy Austin made me laugh today with - "They only had a bicycle" :lol:

Good for Maria and her family though :) their sacrifices paid off and their dreams are coming true

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
You guys sometimes make me sick. I have heard the same story all the time. She was born in Siberia NEAR chernobyl, her family moved to Sochi and her father befriended Mr. Kafelnikov, Martina saw Maria in a clinic when she was five and Martina encouraged Yuri to have Maria pursue tennis, when Maria was 7 1/2, she moved to FLA to train at Nick's while her father worked as a tennis instructor and a waiter to pay for the tuition (they came with 700 dollars,) Maria learned English in four months, was the youngest in her dorm at Nicks (older girls didn't talk to her,) and lived without her mother for two years. That is pretty hard for a young girl to go through. One cannot claim that she had it as easy as, say, Capriati or Davenport.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
mboyle said:
You guys sometimes make me sick. I have heard the same story all the time. She was born in Siberia NEAR chernobyl...
The only one hard fact that I know is that Chernobyl is not in Siberia. It's in Ukraine. As for the rest, I don't know. They (facts) look at least credible (and I've read about them from many sources)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts