Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please explain this to me.
Maria Sharapova was born in Russia, both of her parents are Russian and she is a Russian citizen, yet people question whether she is truly "Russian."

Monica Seles was born in Yugoslavia, to Yugoslav parents and speaks with a light accent, yet no one ever questions that she is "American"?

Please explain :confused:

·
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.
49,309 Posts
Actually Monica's ethnic Hungarian, whose family was forced to leave Hungary in exile. Karolj was exiled for his political cartoons. Also, in 1994 Monica and Esther Seles became official US citizens, taking and passing the citizenship test. Karolj was not allowed to apply for citizenship as he was then considered a political exile. Not sure if Zoltan is a citizen or not, I don't believe he is.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I agree Maria gets a lot of slack for growing up in the US which isn't her fault

·
Registered
13,542 Posts
it just because she's not as russian as the other russians, that's why none of the other russian players like her. Most of the others were raised and grew up in russia, maira grew up in america. I think that's one of the reasons why they don't want her on their fed cup team, myskina said if sharapova would ever play fed cup for russia that she wouldn't play.

·
Worshipping the bangs
62,496 Posts
Exactly. Monica carries a US passport and has played for US Fed Cup.

Masha is still a Russian citizen and 100% Russian as far as I'm concerned.

Reactions: R&J

·
Banned
2,936 Posts
Maria's parents aren't Russian, they're from Belarus.

22,716 Posts
Absolutely, just because she talks with an American accent doesn't mean she's American, fans of the other Russians often put her down by saying she's the top 'American' or whatever, I heard an interview with her recently where she was spealing in Russian, and she spoke the language very well (even if I had no idea what she was saying :p )

As long as she has 'RUS' after her name, she's Russian...

·
Registered
6,591 Posts
miffedmax said:
Exactly. Monica carries a US passport and has played for US Fed Cup.

Masha is still a Russian citizen and 100% Russian as far as I'm concerned.
exactly ;)

·
Banned
2,553 Posts
Maria comes across like an American teenager to me. I'm sure she and her family have considered naturalization but maybe for political reasons (with the Russian Tennis Federation) decided not to become citizens. :shrug:

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
TennisFan1984 said:
Please explain this to me.
Maria Sharapova was born in Russia, both of her parents are Russian and she is a Russian citizen, yet people question whether she is truly "Russian."

Monica Seles was born in Yugoslavia, to Yugoslav parents and speaks with a light accent, yet no one ever questions that she is "American"?

Please explain :confused:
two words: US Citizenship.

·
Registered
6,591 Posts
Dana Marcy said:
Maria comes across like an American teenager to me. I'm sure she and her family have considered naturalization but maybe for political reasons (with the Russian Tennis Federation) decided not to become citizens. :shrug:
what is a american teenager for u??
cause for me teenager are the same in all countries
or u think that russians teenagers are learning about how to handle a gun or do biological weapons!! :lol: Joke

but really, they do the same stupid thing as any othr teenager...

that hole thing is up to her
If she says that she feels chinese, fine by me
She really doestn care for what we think and as she says: "It's a russian flag that is on my name side"....

·
Registered
369 Posts
Natasc said:
or u think that russians teenagers are learning about how to handle a gun or do biological weapons!! :lol: Joke

She really doestn care for what we think and as she says: "It's a russian flag that is on my name side"....
You're absolutely right, and Maria has a russian heart. :hearts:

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
This post is strange; their situations are not really parallel... Monica lives in the States and has US citizenship. And she has represented the US in Fed Cup and the Olympics. As for Maria, people question her Russian-ness (rightly or wrongly) because she lives and trains the US and has done so for a very long time now; also, she has yet to play for Russia in Fed Cup.

·
Banned
2,553 Posts
Natasc said:

Just so it's clear, I wasn't insulting Maria when I said she comes across as an American teenager. All I meant that for somebody foreign born she comes across as very assimilated into mainstream American society (a good thing). She's retained her Russian culture (another good thing) but she's obviously become comfortable enough with her "Americaness". When she talks I hear an American teen. That's all I meant. :)

·
Registered
32,778 Posts
Dana Marcy said:
I doubt the thought would have entered consideration for long. Both Yuri and Maria are outspoken about maintaining their citizenship.

·
Registered
6,591 Posts
Dana Marcy said:
Just so it's clear, I wasn't insulting Maria when I said she comes across as an American teenager. All I meant that for somebody foreign born she comes across as very assimilated into mainstream American society (a good thing). She's retained her Russian culture (another good thing) but she's obviously become comfortable enough with her "Americaness". When she talks I hear an American teen. That's all I meant. :)
as u also could see Im always keeping my humour height
'cause I actually I made a joke ;)

and I understended what u mean
but for me she's just a teenager like every other teenager :shrug:

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
anyone who are saying Maria is American are just plain desperate!!!!

Until we will see an American flag next to her name, until then......

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
The_Pov said:
Maria's parents aren't Russian, they're from Belarus.
belarus ppl are russian

1 - 20 of 24 Posts