Tennis Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made final of Australian Open and now into another slam semifinal... Do you think she is/was really injured in the first place?

Or just used as an excuse by Maria and her fans?

·
Registered
10,190 Posts
She didn't use it as an excuse much. I think it's 100% real. Did it affect her playing much? I REALLY REALLY doubt it.

·
Registered
8,708 Posts
Made final of Australian Open and now into another slam semifinal... Do you think she is/was really injured in the first place?

Or just used as an excuse by Maria and her fans?
yes she withdrew from clay warmup tournaments that wouldve gained her more points (she played none last year) which would get her closer to justine in teh rankings and give her better preperation for her worst gs. she also faked getting a cortisone shot just so she could excuse a few losses.:lol:

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Why make us an excuse to pull out of tournaments? Don't you think she would rather get practice and ranking points by playing Charleston and Rome?

Obviously her injury was real, you don't take cortisone shots for fun.

Why are people so suspicious? Players dont have much to gain by lying about an injury. She never even used it as an excuse.

·
Registered
8,708 Posts
Why make us an excuse to pull out of tournaments? Don't you think she would rather get practice and ranking points by playing Charleston and Rome?

Obviously her injury was real, you don't take cortisone shots for fun.

Why are people so suspicious? Players dont have much to gain by lying about an injury. She never even used it as an excuse.
exactly both rome and charlestson are tier 1s and she wouldve gained points at both. im sure being number one is more important than makign excuses for a few loses.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Sharapova isn't one to make excuses after loses too. Remember when she lost to Davenport 6-0/6-0? She didnt come up with an injury then, why would she now?

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
Seeing as Maria went from an average of one double fault per match, average first serve speed of 100MPH and average second serve speed of 90MPH to an average of 7 dfs, first serve speed of 93MPH second serve of 83MPH, I think it's obvious that something was and might still be up with her shoulder. When one has played tennis every day for 6 hours a day for ten years, one's technique does not suddenly or randomly get bad.

She had an MRI done that revealed a pretty serious shoulder injury. She got a cortizone shot.

·
Registered
14,816 Posts
Seeing as Maria went from an average of one double fault per match
USO 2006

Final: 4 DFs
SF: 2 DFs
QF: 6 DFs
4R : 6 DFs
3R: 1 DF
2R: 7 DFs
1R: 2 DFs

A consequence of Maria taking a lot of risks with her 2nd serve - but it didn't really matter, since her 1st serve % was usually very high (on occasion 70%+), and above all the % of points won on 1st serve was almost ATP level.

But this is just some nitpicking. Otherwise I agree that Maria's current serve remains far inferior to her late 2006 standards in reliability, pace and placement.

·
Registered
9,122 Posts
Morons...
:lol: Exactly...

So from now on, every single player who has had bad losses due to injury and missed out on several events because of said injury and at their return, got far in a tournament was simply just lying about the injury and making excuses. Great job! :yeah: I can think of numerous examples now. But I guess you'd gladly disregard that and just target Sharapova as do some people. Sharapova is just too special. :eek:

Look up the concept of a top WTA player...especially one who is a 20 yr old two-time GS winning champion and former number one. Top players most of the time have enough talent and ability to do well after a few weeks off due to injury.

People need to stop with all this nonsense.

·
Banned
487 Posts
It's a pretty good excuse to use, especially if she lost on clay. She would praise and mock herself at the same time, stating the reason she lost was due to her injury but it was a good performance nevertheless since it was on clay :help:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts