Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Banned
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to save somebody else the time of posting this thread, i would now like to hear arguments from her fans about why Venus Williams is still the world's second best player, even as she has exited from the French Open in the fourth round and fallen to #4 in the rankings.

Go.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
she won antwerpen against kim :p

·
Registered
44,018 Posts
Here's why: the only reason Kim's #2 and Justine's #3 is because Venus hasn't played. So, lack of play is the reason she's fallen, not her 4th RD exit in Paris.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
tennisIlove09 said:
Here's why: the only reason Kim's #2 and Justine's #3 is because Venus hasn't played. So, lack of play is the reason she's fallen, not her 4th RD exit in Paris.
She's had this no-playing schedule for years now, and it didn't used to cause her to drop out of tournaments early, so this isn't a valid excuse...

·
Registered
829 Posts
I thought we had the rankings to tell us how players are seeded based on PERFORMANCE. Are there "opinion" or "potential" points there that I dont know about?

·
Banned
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
VSFan1 aka Joshua L. said:
Yes, the way to solve World War III is to rehash stuff that you think is ridiculous. ;)
LOL. Hey man, I'm just saving Hinquit or Topshotta or some other equally profound person the trouble of having to create this thread! so let's hear it! Justine and Kim do not deserve their rankings! We all know it! Sing it from the hills!

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
I don't think Venus deserves the # 2 ranking, or the # 3 one for that matter, Kim and Justine have earned it. However, I do think that Venus is still the 2nd best player in the world. When Venus is healthy, and when she is playing on any other surface than clay, she handles Kim and Justine convincingly (i.e. Antwerp and the Australian).

·
Registered
18,112 Posts
it WAS serena WHO CHEATED. she admits to serving knowing that her opponent was not ready

and now SERENA is maligning JUJU by accusing her of lies and fabrication. not a classy way to lose.

oh and yes she 'forgot' to shake Jorge Diaz hand and then went back with her phony smile and did it minutes later... what made her think of that minutes later? she has played hundreds of matches and FORGETS to shake the umps hand even though her opponent did it???

WHATEVER!

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
treufreund said:
it WAS serena WHO CHEATED. she admits to serving knowing that her opponent was not ready

and now SERENA is maligning JUJU by accusing her of lies and fabrication. not a classy way to lose.

oh and yes she 'forgot' to shake Jorge Diaz hand and then went back with her phony smile and did it minutes later... what made her think of that minutes later? she has played hundreds of matches and FORGETS to shake the umps hand even though her opponent did it???

WHATEVER!

Did justine accuse her of faking an injury yet? Shes known for that. For sure she's so classy. Whatever.

anyway venus is not number two and will be number four i think. if she wants to be higher she should play more and win. simple as that. anway im sure she doesn't care too much about her ranking otherwise she would have played.

·
Registered
21,902 Posts
tennisIlove09 said:
obviously it's not Kims or Justine's fault that Venus can't play 2 tournaments in a row without getting injured, is it?

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
807 Posts
Kim and Justine have earnt their number 2 and 3 rankings respectively. They have had great years and a great tournament here.
But.... (yes theres always a but)

I believe the best way of deciding is by looking at their grand slam results and their head to heads in ALL tournaments.

Venus has played in 4 of the last 5 grand slam finals and 6 of the last 8.
Venus has a 3-1 win loss record over Kim in the last year, with Kims win coming via retirement (a win none the less).
Venus has beaten Justine in their last 7 matches, including 4 in the last 18 months.

Therefore, yes kim and justine have earnt their ranking by playing extremely well over the last year, but if you had to say who has been the best player out of the 3 over the last year (not taking into account the number of tournaments they have played) you would have to say that Venus has been the second best player still, second only to serena.

·
psychotic banana
3,022 Posts
No no no, you have it all wrong! VENUS IS STILL THE REAL WORLD #1! In fact, she's never lost that ranking. She is actually the top player in the world. You heard it here first. ;)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts