Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has to be on the minds of many. After splashing into the world of tennis fame and riches after Wimbledon 2004, Maria has not lived up to expectations.

So... What does the future hold for her?

IS she a ONE-HIT WONDER???

Well, I don't think so!

Serena won the USO in 1999, and was expected to continue in the near future, but was unable to win ANOTHER slam until 2002 RG.

Hell, she went on a tear that year. She held ALL four slams for a short period.
I think Maria has the game to do likewise.... We shall see. She needs to add a few shots to her game, like Serena did to get more titles.

It is interesting that her ALL-POWER game is JUST like early Serena and Venus' games that were critisized strongly in the early years.
We hear very few comments about her one-demensional game.

Maria... Add some variety, and you will prevail.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Don't make me laugh. Marsha Sharapova does not have as well-rounded a game as Serena Williams had in her prime. It's not even close. Maybe she is a bit closer to Venus, but she isn't going to win 5 Grand Slams.

·
Registered
24,260 Posts
if she retired tomorrow she'd be a one hit wonder. but i don't see her throwing in the towel anytime soon. she's got lots of majors in her, she works, hard, and she fights. she'll find her way.

·
Banned
649 Posts
vogus said:
Don't make me laugh. Marsha Sharapova does not have as well-rounded a game as Serena Williams had in her prime. It's not even close. Maybe she is a bit closer to Venus, but she isn't going to win 5 Grand Slams.

I don't know why they keep comparing her to Serena, but Iva M. would be right up her ally as far as comparisons go.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
tennisjay said:
I don't know why they keep comparing her to Serena, but Iva M. would be right up her ally as far as comparisons go.

No, that's taking it too far. I think Sharapova is going to have a much better career than Majoli who was never a Top 10 player again after she won her Slam.

·
Banned
649 Posts
vogus said:
No, that's taking it too far. I think Sharapova is going to have a much better career than Majoli who was never a Top 10 player again after she won her Slam.

Yeah that is a bit extreme, but I would say more along the lines of Lindsay, Maria's game is similar too and so will be her career minus the Grandslams. I see one more Wimbledon in Maria and that's about it. She will never win the AO or FO she may come close to the US Open but won't win it thought, but that still don't make Maria as special as her fans and tennis reporters make her out to be because the up and coming girls has those same chances but better.

·
Premium Member
27,114 Posts
VS Fan said:
We hear very few comments about her one-demensional game.
I'm not sure that's true but I agree she needs to continue to develop her game.

She's not a one hit wonder IMHO.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Kart said:
I'm not sure that's true but I agree she needs to continue to develop her game.

She's not a one hit wonder IMHO.

She's not a one hit wonder but it isn't obvious either that she is going to win more Grand Slams or spend significant time at the top of the sport like Hingis, Seles, Graf, Henin, or Serena. I personally see her game as very good but not great.

·
Registered
13,105 Posts
She's a good player who was overhyped because she was young, exciting, pretty, and white. (I think some effect came from the last of those, even though I also think some posters here overrate the racial issue and I wish they'd get a grip.)

Anyway she's still a good player, but no better than at least half a dozen others, and currently ranked about right at # 4 or # 5 in the world. She'll win titles and maybe more slams but she'll always struggle when she's in a field that has several of those other top players.

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
vogus said:
well said:wavey:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think it's too early to start consigning Sharapova off as a one slam wonder, her game seems to have improved since I last saw her at the AO open when she couldn't make a volley or hit a drop shot. This is the first time I've ever seen Sharapova look anything like a complete player, although she still has a long way to go. If she can carry on improving I don't see why she can't win more slams, she isn't that far behind JHH, kim or Amelie as it is.

·
Banned
649 Posts
~ The Leopard ~ said:
She's a good player who was overhyped because she was young, exciting, pretty, and white. (I think some effect came from the last of those, even though I also think some posters here overrate the racial issue and I wish they'd get a grip.)

Anyway she's still a good player, but no better than at least half a dozen others, and currently ranked about right at # 4 or # 5 in the world. She'll win titles and maybe more slams but she'll always struggle when she's in a field that has several of those other top players.

I'm not one to place the race card, but I'm glad it was said. I think most people in tennis was looking for a lighter shade of player to dominate. I was sad when tennis Great Martina N. said the WS were bad for tennis, question in what other sport did a Great Champion come out and single out two players out and say they were bad for their sport. I lost all respect for Martina N. and don't support anything she has to do with.

·
Registered
254 Posts
tennisjay said:
I'm not one to place the race card, but I'm glad it was said. I think most people in tennis was looking for a lighter shade of player to dominate. I was sad when tennis Great Martina N. said the WS were bad for tennis, question in what other sport did a Great Champion come out and single out two players out and say they were bad for their sport. I lost all respect for Martina N. and don't support anything she has to do with.
I was just informed that Martina N. is crying a Nile river up in her room after reading about your poor opinion on her.... :sad: :sad: :bigcry:

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Maria is a tennis player. Only the really great tennis players rack up enormous success before they reach 20. Graf or Seles she probably isn't. On the other hand the number of top current tennis players with one GS win by the the age of 18 is pretty low and none of her own age group or younger are performing as well. She can beat more than half of the top 10 on the average day and the people she has trouble with are just as liable to fall apart playing than they are to beat her. The age gap is such that she can actually watch over the next 4 years as the top ten retires around her. The future actually looks pretty Rosy - the biggest future threats are probably behind her now in the rankings waiting to emerge.

·
Registered
13,542 Posts
Once the williams sisters, davenport, kim cljsters, justine hennin hardden retire, i say sharapova could win a grand slam, until then she wont ever win won.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
pacomexican said:
Once the williams sisters, davenport, kim cljsters, justine hennin hardden retire, i say sharapova could win a grand slam, until then she wont ever win won.
Given the state of 2 of those players, Kim's intention to retire, Lindsay's age and Justine's health that could happen by 2007. Mary can't hang around for ever nor can Jen which just about leaves Momo, Nastya and Elena and which ever of the youngsters comes up by then.

·
Banned
649 Posts
Jennifer North said:
I was just informed that Martina N. is crying a Nile river up in her room after reading about your poor opinion on her.... :sad: :sad: :bigcry:

I sure hope so, I will never support Martina N or her so called g*y rights.

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
I think she can win 2-3 more in her career.

But she has sure become pretty beatable these days. It used to be big deal when she got beaten.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts