Tennis Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder.

Boy, men's tennis seems to be the real deal. It's been bombastic power sprinkled with mind-boggling finesse. You have guys like Sargsian, Blake, Hewitt, Agassi, just to name a few, who can kill the ball and yet deliver delightful finesse on the court. Even a howitzer like Ljubicic can stun you with terrific drop shots a la Justine. Amazing topspin lobs from Roddick are out of this world. Folks, this is tennis at its best.

How did you really feel after watching back-to-back Blake/Sargsian and Clijsters/Huznetsova? Even though the latter match wasn't too bad, weren't you kind of deflated?

P.S. It's been suggested that women's tennis should catch up at the semis. If such is the case, we shall see!

·
Premium Member
11,130 Posts
well its a different game and different strokes for different folks. if you like baseline bashing and less finesse that's the trend women's tennis is going towards. if you want to see more spins and variety then you should watch more men's..

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
5,857 Posts
Personally I can only watch about 90 minutes of tennis before I need to go to the toilet, so I always stick to women's matches.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, controlfreak, that shouldn't be a show stopper. You can always come back and watch the rest of the match. Besides, the next half (that is, the following 90 minutes) may be a whole new game as stamina comes into play, or either one or both players change tactics, or they got to know how to play each other better.

·
Registered
16,036 Posts
Why is it always about men vs women?

To me it's more about interesting players vs
boring players. Case in point. Rather see Amelie
in a match over Jiri Novak whatever the quality of
his match maybe.

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
Both the womens and the mens tennis has been shite so far at the open this year. I prefer the women cos it aint drawn out over three sets.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Greenout said:
Why is it always about men vs women?
You got it wrong: it's men vs men and women vs women. Two different shows, same sport. The question is which show gives you a better demonstration of the sport. In general, I prefer women's tennis, but I can't help noticing the beauty in many men's matches when that beauty is glaring. So far in this Open, the women's matches have left me quite flat, but I do have a lot of hope and/or expectation for later matches.

·
Banned
371 Posts
As I always say. Women's GS starts at QFs! Earlier rnds are just rehearsals.
Men's tennis is real damn good. Admit it. It comprises of various shots, more fitness, tons of shot women would never even choose to do [how can Davenport hit under her skirt like Andre?] They lobs well, dropshots well, topspins well, slices well, and banging the short balls well. It was real fun in term of tennis skills.
Only the big disadvantage is that--It's 3 out of 5. And that's enought to make you feel terrible just to think you have to stick around for more than 2 hours per match in average. That's why I'd prefer Tennis Master Series than GS on the men's side.
Women tennis has its own sake--a strong selling modalities. Fashion and drama. And that's enough for us. Plus a game within the top 4 or top 10 and I'd die for a single match of women tennis.

p.s. I laugh to death when I saw Daniela in the 2nd rnd. Both athletes moonballed their backhand over and over. Compared to the Blake match which tends to be a slice-alternate-topspin with well placement on the backhand side.

·
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.
49,309 Posts
I just like well-played tennis, no matter of it's sexual orientation, gender, race, creed, or national origin.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Seles said:
I just like well-played tennis, no matter of it's sexual orientation, gender, race, creed, or national origin.
So, which group (gender-wise) delights you the most up to this point?

·
Premium Member
19,825 Posts
I like some of the men's matches, not all. Some of them are serving contest if ya ask me. Yes they serve and volley better than the women, and show finesse at certain times. But not all the time. It's who can hold serve the most, and sometimes that gets boring with few rallies involved.

I have to say that so far the men have outshined the women for the first week, and I think they will during the second week also. The women don't have much of a storyline going on with the absence of the williams. The storylines in women's tennis is what gets me excited the most, you know player X said this about player Y, and then X and Y meet up and you cannot refuse to watch.

The men still don't have that storyline aspect, but if Andy gets to the final expect for the men's final to outdo the women's.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
harloo said:
The women don't have much of a storyline going on with the absence of the williams.
You may have a good point there, but I'm sure other fan groups would vehemently disagree.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wrong quote, Queen Rebecca.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts