·
Keep calm and be gay.
51,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Reactions: Vil Dit In

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
If Osaka remains a relevant player, and China keeps yanking around the WTA re: calendar, I can envision Tokyo upgrading to 1000 level and Wuhan dropping to a 500.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I'm in Tokyo and yesterday the rainy season "ended" and like clockwork the 30+ Celsius and high humidity struck. This also like clockwork is being closely followed by typhoon season already, long range suggests typhoon 9 about to touch Kyushu southern Japan in the next few days and another strong weather system to skirt but not hit Kanto where Tokyo sits and head into the Pacific. So Tokyo is kind of surrounded by unsettled weather systems with high temperatures. Of course this is the long range forecast and something always dramatically shifts every year.

All this, along with the killer humidity brings those thunderstorms of which not one person living here will be shocked by. There was a reason why they held 64 Olympics in October.😅 when we always seem to have beautiful weather.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Same as WTA Tokyo. Same venue.
Venue is the same, but totally rebuilt and for sure the courts changed, so we cannot assume that the is the same as when Toray Pan Pacific has been played there the last time, four years ago.
In 2018 and 2019 was played in Osaka due to the reconstruction works, in 2020 not held.

From the Olympics fact sheet it appears that the surface is Decosurf, normally rather fast but all depends on the actual type of coating used.

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Osaka is like ohhhh, this looks like US Open and Australia...wheres my gold medal? Lol.

·
Registered
9,173 Posts
...long range suggests typhoon 9 about to touch Kyushu southern Japan in the next few days...
Latest forecast shows that TD9 is tracking much more westerly, perhaps skirting the northern end of Taiwan before hitting the Chinese mainland south of Shanghai as a Category 2 typhoon. Of course that can change markedly, but at least it doesn't look as though it will get anywhere near Tokyo.

·
Keep calm and be gay.
51,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
More sneak peek photo for night view from the venue

21 - 30 of 30 Posts