Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I'm late but I just bought the game. I have been playing Top Spin on my PS2 for a while and I decided to get Smash Court Tennis Pro Tournament 2. And the style of play is very different from any tennis game I have ever played. I have been playing for a couple of days and usually with tennis games I would have the game half beaten already. But I am still struggling in exhibition mode against players on the normal level.

It is so easy to miss a shot, there is practically no chance of hitting a good angle, and just a slight movement of the joystick sends the ball flying during a serve. The game is very realistic and I like it but I have never had so much difficulty with a tennis game in my life. I honestly can't see myself doing well in this game. I am competing well in long points and I manage to get to deuce almost every game but I have yet to win more than two games in a set.

The game is frustrating. I don't know what my problem is. Do I need more time or am I just not use to the style yet? The aiming on the serve sucks because like I said just a slight movement of the joystick makes you hit the ball out. Maybe I need more time and I'll get used to it but I don't know what else to do. I have to seriously concentrate to win a point and it's neatly impossible for me to hit a winner right now. I think it has a lot to do with timing because this is a time-based game unlike Top Spin which allows you to get away with so much and is more of a strategy-based game where hitting angles and drops shots is more easy.

To all owners of the game, any advice?

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you get better with experience and also when You buy new rackets and stuff.
Yeah

It's a good game. I think I'm just overreacting because I am used to just dominating tennis games but this one makes you think more. For example on Top Spin and Top Spin 2 I would just get as close to the net as possible and just put shots away. But on this game you really have to control your timing and everything. I know I can do it but I'm still in the habit of doing things as if I were playing Top Spin.

·
She's coming for your faves wigs
18,753 Posts
Yeah

It's a good game. I think I'm just overreacting because I am used to just dominating tennis games but this one makes you think more. For example on Top Spin and Top Spin 2 I would just get as close to the net as possible and just put shots away. But on this game you really have to control your timing and everything. I know I can do it but I'm still in the habit of doing things as if I were playing Top Spin.
Ive always wanted a tennis game like this.

I Might get it this weekend :hearts:

·
Registered
18,940 Posts
This game in my opinion is the BEST tennis game out there.

Hehe, in creating a player Venus won like 20 GS :tape:

And, I'm doing Hingis and in 2 years she won Australian Open and Wimbledon and many other titles. She sucks on clay though.

Like someone said, as you get more experience the better you get. You can improve indivudual stats of your player depending on what type of player you want it to be ;)

·
Registered
12,762 Posts
as with all games, it become extremely easy after a while

·
Registered
11,064 Posts
Just have patience as everyone has said. I remember having difficulty with the serve at first. Do the tutorials as they helped me. Try the Pro Tour as you will have the play weaker players and that will teach you how to play points better.

·
Registered
8,075 Posts
dont worry, you'll soon master it.
i tend not to train my players in world tour mode, so the computer has a chance to win, and the matches are harder and more entertaining for me ;)

·
Premium Member
19,825 Posts
dont worry, you'll soon master it.
i tend not to train my players in world tour mode, so the computer has a chance to win, and the matches are harder and more entertaining for me ;)
I thought I was the only person who did that with the tour mode. The game became very easy to me within 3 days of playing.:lol:

·
Premium Member
8,187 Posts
Just get your timing down and you'll OWN at this game. If you're playing tour mode with a created player you'll suck balls vs real players and possibly high ranked fictional players because your stats are simply way too low.

The serving in this game is the greatest ever made. It's extremely realistic and pretty difficult to master, but if you manage to you can ace people a whole lot, even with Kournikova! Like I said, you just need to get your timing down. You should be destroying your opponents after playing the game for about a week (real players vs real players that is). Also this game play just like real life so don't try and hit a low angled slice off of a hard flat shot because the chances of you hitting an error off of that is high. Topspin it back, or if you have mastered the timing match it with a hard hit flat shot. Also the running button is your friend. If you learn how to use it properly, you'll be driving your opponents nuts (cpu or human), especially if you can master the running crosscourt shot. Drop shots work wonders if your player is really good at hitting them (Kournikova, Hantuchova, etc.).

The reason why this game takes a little more time warming up to is because it's like none other out there. It's the real deal, though once you've mastered it, it's only fun playing vs one of your buddies who is also good at it. You'll be double bageling the likes of Safin with Korunikova at RG using only topspin/slices once you get really good at it.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Just keep practicing. It gets fun after a little while of playing. But the challenge of learning to play it will be well worth the aggrevation.

its only fun for a while
I find that if you make more of your own players, and playing them with other players you make. :)

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
Yeah it's very frustrating at first, but VERY fun after you get the hang of it. Probably the best tennis game I've ever played with Top Spin 2 a close 2nd.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
This is def the best USA game with Top Spin 2 running second. I used to under-develop my world tour players so I could have some classic battles with Justine/Serena/Clijsters, etc. at the slams. BUT BELIEVE ME - you will master this game. About 6 months ago, I gave mine away to my little brothers. Reading this thread makes me wanna get it back. lol

·
Registered
34,672 Posts
Just get your timing down and you'll OWN at this game. If you're playing tour mode with a created player you'll suck balls vs real players and possibly high ranked fictional players because your stats are simply way too low.

The serving in this game is the greatest ever made. It's extremely realistic and pretty difficult to master, but if you manage to you can ace people a whole lot, even with Kournikova! Like I said, you just need to get your timing down. You should be destroying your opponents after playing the game for about a week (real players vs real players that is). Also this game play just like real life so don't try and hit a low angled slice off of a hard flat shot because the chances of you hitting an error off of that is high. Topspin it back, or if you have mastered the timing match it with a hard hit flat shot. Also the running button is your friend. If you learn how to use it properly, you'll be driving your opponents nuts (cpu or human), especially if you can master the running crosscourt shot. Drop shots work wonders if your player is really good at hitting them (Kournikova, Hantuchova, etc.).

The reason why this game takes a little more time warming up to is because it's like none other out there. It's the real deal, though once you've mastered it, it's only fun playing vs one of your buddies who is also good at it. You'll be double bageling the likes of Safin with Korunikova at RG using only topspin/slices once you get really good at it.
LOL. Good post.

·
Registered
8,708 Posts

I just got the game recently.ive been playing it for bout a week and a half and i had a lot of trouble stringing two points together let alone winning matches but after a few days it got easier.
for me the serve is the easiest part of the game. ive been playing world tour and i always ace my way out of trouble. i just had my best year with an AO semi FO quarter WIMB quarter and a USO win. i average about 7 aces per match in world tour mode and i get alot of other free points on my serve.

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
This is completely different to the other tennis simulators, so it'll take a while to understand that the science here is about the timing and not the positioning. But after some hours you'll own at this game. I could try to upload some vid of me playing if I can record any. :p

Most people have already given that advice though.

·
Registered
8,075 Posts
what i like most about this game is the fact you can actually use tactics in this game realisticly. for example, justines back hand is much more difficult to manage than her forehand, so keep aiming for her forehand and she'll eventually lean that way for most shots, allowing you to go for the outright kill on the backhand, of course getting the timing right and choosing the right time.

ahhh... this thread has made me play this game tonight :p

·
Registered
8,075 Posts
for me the most difficult challange of the game is kim, shes so damn fast and hardly misses.

of course this is only when i play pro tour mode without any training on a new player ;)

·
Registered
18,940 Posts
for me the most difficult challange of the game is kim, shes so damn fast and hardly misses.

of course this is only when i play pro tour mode without any training on a new player ;)
Yes, for Martina she is the toughest as well. I never can beat her on any surface :( I only beat her once out of 8 times :(

1 - 20 of 46 Posts