Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) She is one of the prettiest girls on tour.

2) Has won a grand slam.

3) Is from USA, tennis's biggest market.

So why hasn't she become the endorsement queen? She should be diving in her gold coin bank like Mr. scrooge.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Her race, African American is part of it but she has to win more grand slams. Showing an enthusiasm for the sport would help too.
Sadly, it’s because she’s not white. Anyone that tells you otherwise, probably isn’t African American and know our struggle.
Naomi Osaka. Coco Gauff......so stop spreading that weird agenda.

Osaka is rolling in endorsements and she is just as black, American as Sharapova is American. Gauff has had 1 big result and the media are all over her, even creating campaigns around her. So it IS NOT a race issue.

Sloane does not come across as sincere, people who grew up with her said she was always stuck up and bitchy and her whole vibe and tone reads as one of those affluent African Americans, who doesn't relate with the typical AA. Let's also not ignore the obvious elephant.....Sloane plays with very little effort and interest for 75% of her matches and fans/media are quick to pick up on that stuff, and unlike Kyrgios , she isn't outspoken or flashy to make up for it.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts

Osaka is rolling in endorsements and she is just as black, American as Sharapova is American. Gauff has had 1 big result and the media are all over her, even creating campaigns around her. So it IS NOT a race issue.

Sloane does not come across as sincere, people who grew up with her said she was always stuck up and bitchy and her whole vibe and tone reads as one of those affluent African Americans, who doesn't relate with the typical AA. Let's also not ignore the obvious elephant.....Sloane plays with very little effort and interest for 75% of her matches and fans/media are quick to pick up on that stuff, and unlike Kyrgios , she isn't outspoken or flashy to make up for it.
Um, no. Naomi is not "just as black" as Sloane. She is biracial - and that makes her a lot more palatable for the masses (whites). If she chose to play for the US and uphold her status as an African-American woman, she wouldn't be making anywhere near as much as she does now.

Besides, Japan only claims Naomi because they have no other alternative. If there were an actual 100% Japanese female player who won two slams, Naomi would be at Sloane's level or worse financially. She'd definitely have chosen the US over Japan if that were the case lol

·
Registered
37,336 Posts
Black beauty is still underrated and white beauty is still overrated, you just have to take a look at the huge fuss that basic blonde Bouchard caused a few years ago.

I have to say, though, she does come off as stuck up and kind of snobby, which I love but I see how it could be a turn off for a lot of people. That she's extremely inconsistent with her results doesn't help either.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I have no doubt race is a huge factor here, but c'mon, it most definitely is NOT all there is to it. The fact that she's completely disinterested in tennis, makes little to no effort, and plays well 2-4 times a year is clearly a part of it. I was a fan once, but I'm not anymore, and it's not because I realised she's black :lol:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I agree that race plays a part in it, but the reality is she's in her mid-20s and ranked 11 in the world. She won her first (and only) Grand Slam title at 24, which is relatively young but not 'phenom' young. To be honest, while the U.S. might be the biggest market for tennis, tennis is still small potatoes compared with the big 3 sports and golf, and that's not even taking into account the men's game which is deemed more marketable, as well. There's really only so much room in the U.S. market and Serena (and maybe a little bit Venus) take up a huge portion of that. To the average American, Serena IS U.S. women's tennis, that Gauff has become so popular is due in no small part to her age and her being viewed as the obvious successor to Serena in terms of multiple GS and greatness. Sloane never gave off the potential greatness vibe and by the time she won her first GS she was too old to be considered 'the next one' and to be commercially successful athlete in the U.S. (especially in a 'fringe' sport like tennis) that's a big part of the deal. Again, not denying that race plays a part in it, but I also think there's only so much to go around.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Her IG is always full of her endorsement, so her agent should work on upping the figures. Mercedes Benz, Bio-something, Nike line, etc. And of course the race factor and the establishment.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts

I stopped reading when you said Naomi Osaka. That was all it took...

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Um, no. Naomi is not "just as black" as Sloane. She is biracial - and that makes her a lot more palatable for the masses (whites). If she chose to play for the US and uphold her status as an African-American woman, she wouldn't be making anywhere near as much as she does now.

Besides, Japan only claims Naomi because they have no other alternative. If there were an actual 100% Japanese female player who won two slams, Naomi would be at Sloane's level or worse financially. She'd definitely have chosen the US over Japan if that were the case lol
Whew. Nothing but the truth! SPEAK!:worship:

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
She's 100% black. That's all there is to it really.
Prime example:

Maria was pulling in more endorsements than Serena for years, and we all know Serena was the much better player. That's the number 1 example right there, and that should be enough.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Also because it needs some effort (doing publicity etc.). And she doesn't come across as the most industrious person.

Race plays a role I agree, but to think it is the only reason is very limitied thinking.

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
Honestly I don't think it's Race why she hasn't gotten the Endorsements.

IMO it's her additude towards the Sport. Endorsers want to see Full Committment towards Tennis & hard work before hopping on the bandwagon.

Look how Gauff, Osaka, Anisimova work their butt off to get better. Sloane doesn't do that. In Osaka's case I even sometimes think she tries too hard in Training similar to Nadal.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
it's because she stinkies up the court and loses in the early rounds 95% of the year and most tournaments she enters . who would want to endorse that and why would she be popular amongst tennis fans/audiences ?:wavey:

·
Registered
525 Posts
Uninformed posters per usual.

Sloane has plenty of endorsements and/or partners. Probably more than anyone I can think.

Nike, Mercedes, Chocolate Milk, Estee Lauder, doTerra, Biofreeze, and picked up IBM this week. She made 10 million last year and landed #5 on the Forbes list without winning a single title. There’s no one (other than Serena) who can see that.

And she’s marrying an equally rich man. And comes from a well-off family.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Honestly, as a fellow black woman, Sloane is one case where I would say race doesn't really play a factor. She's a very beautiful woman. However, she just doesn't have enough result and her consistency is non-existent. If Sloane was as consistent as Maria in her younger years, she would be making bank imo, especially in this day and time. She has beauty on her side. Also, in America there are other influential players, so she's not the one. I like Sloane, but her persona doesn't come off as a fighter or someone who likes the sport all that much. She seems to lack passion honestly. With Sloane sometimes it kind of feel like she plays tennis right now, but if she stopped all the memories she made, all of that, wouldn't mean all that much for her. Like if she talked about it, it would " oh tennis, that thing i used to do."

To be honest, this isn't a complaint. Not everybody can be as driven as Serena or even Maria. But for sponsor, it can be a bit of a turn off. Idk, I always have the feeling Sloane would be happy to become someone's beautiful wife and become an anchor/ doing tennis commentary. Also, results. Sloane just doesn't have enough results. There has been many early rounds exits and not enough titles. A lot of people mock Wozniacki, but back when she was number 1, you couldn't fault her on consistency.

Also, we can say that Naomi got a lot of attention because she's half-Japanese. But remember also that she was younger than Sloane and she beat Serena in the final who everybody thought was the favorite and then she won the Australian Open. At her best, Naomi was a beast and impressive to witness. Sloane has lots of talent and I think her game could become more than what it is. However, none of her matches have been as convincing as Naomi's imo. Even her USO win was not that spectacular match wise.

BTW, I'm not sure Sloane is doing as badly as people think. For example, with Bouchard, it seemed to me that a lot of things about her were all hype, but she didn't have all that many sponsors. This being said, she was tennis Canada sole star in many, many moons, so she benefited from that.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts