Tennis Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
39,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Any thoughts on why sisters often have a close style?

Yes, this thread is worth it. We had many sisters in the history of tennis! Most of them sharing a similar style, though others probably being quite different (no example comes to my mind right now, though).

On this 1973 video, everybody would say it's Chris Evert facing Rosie Casals, right? You'd only say she wasn't moving very well that day... didn't look very confident or accurate in her shotmaking or something... but after you're told it's sister Jeanne Evert, you can only realize that Chris Evert's "style" wasn't unique. Her sister had exactly the same!

Same goes for the Radwanska sisters, who share a very similar style (but with different qualities), the Pliskova sisters, or the Williams sisters. As much as you can always see differences in their game, the first obvious thing is that their game is close or looks very similar.

·
agradecería con alegría que me comierais la ñocla.
17,776 Posts
They often have a similar upbringing and are coached by the same person, usually a parent.

An example of the opposite would be the Sanchez Vicario siblings, who had three different styles: Emilio had a great forehand and so-so backhand and played grinding tennis. Javier was more of a serve and volleyer and we all know Arantxa, who trained at different academy from her youth age if I'm not mistaken. Probably by being by herself from such a young age she developed the mentality that sets her apart from her brothers who were weaker in that area (especially Emilio). They have some things in common, though: effective serves, great smashes and nice touch at the net.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Any thoughts on why sisters often have a close style?

Yes, this thread is worth it. We had many sisters in the history of tennis! Most of them sharing a similar style, though others probably being quite different (no example comes to my mind right now, though).

On this 1973 video, everybody would say it's Chris Evert facing Rosie Casals, right? You'd only say she wasn't moving very well that day... didn't look very confident or accurate in her shotmaking or something... but after you're told it's sister Jeanne Evert, you can only realize that Chris Evert's "style" wasn't unique. Her sister had exactly the same!

Same goes for the Radwanska sisters, who share a very similar style (but with different qualities), the Pliskova sisters, or the Williams sisters. As much as you can always see differences in their game, the first obvious thing is that their game is close or looks very similar.
I was going to say that the Australian Minter sisters from the 80's were different in one respect in that Anne was right handed and Elizabeth a lefty. Though Im wondering after reading her wiki page, if my mind is playing tricks and Liz was right handed after all??

Geetee??

Though they both had single hand backhands, they did strike the ball differently. Anne had an ungainly, but quite effective style. Funny enough Anne's two children who are both ranked in the tour, Andrew Harris on the ATP and Samantha Harris on the WTA, have single hand backhands as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts