Tennis Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Monica has 1853 points. Think she'll be going up in the rankings?

I wonder who has more than that in that timeframe?

I would guess: Lindsay, Venus, Serena. And nobody else.

If she reaches the Semis here, the answer will likely be "nobody, period".

333 points to defend in 6 months. Staying healthy will give her 2.5 Slams and about 7 other tournaments to do that. If she remains healthy, I believe the most likely scenario is the world #2 ranking.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
DH -- I was just thinking about that today.
If she wins on Sunday, guess who will have won the most matches on the WTA tour since Wimbledon (not including fed cup, exhibitions, hopman)??
Not Venus or Lindsay or Kim or Jelena.
Our little Monica (33 wins since Wimbledon).
And yes some of those wins were at lower-ranked tournaments, but in fact in that time period she's had 7 wins over top 10 players, fewer than Lindsay or Venus, but more than Serena or Jennifer or anyone else.

·
Registered
115 Posts
She would definitely stand a shot mathematically. Winning a grand slam tends to give around 1000 points, so winning two would give her an additional 2000-ish points (or about the difference between Seles and the top spot right now). She would also stand to earn several points in the other tournaments between the AO and the FO. However, a lot would depend on Venus year, and in particular, her performance the FO. She only has to defend first round points from the 2001 FO, so a decent performance will give her quite a relative boost compared to last year. As always, the short answer is that we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That depends on Venus, Seles2002. If Venus does not win another Slam before the US Open, then the #1 ranking will likely be wide open after Wimbledon. If Venus can hold Wimbledon and improve her Roland Garros result significantly, she'll be tough to catch.

·
Premium Member
27,123 Posts
I believe she has committed to a fair number of tournaments this year so she should finish with a good ranking whether she wins a GS or not.

However, I'm hoping she will remain injury free this year - more than anything else that has continually held her back over the last few years.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'm just thinking about all these injuries and with Monica healthy she is sure to power up the rankings like others did when Seles was injuried last year. First of all she has a good chance of winning alot of tournaments this year. Her two biggest threats are Venus and Lindsay. Lindsay won't be back until atleast Wimbledon and venus plays a limited number of tournaments. If she plays 17 tournys as she says she wants to I see no reason why she can't return back to the top 4.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts