Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been following monica since 99... but has monica ever been at her physical peak since her comeback onto the tour in 1995/96??

She's had a few good runs and some good wins.. but she doesn't seem to perform at the grandslams as well as I would expect her to...

lets hope she gets well... and makes a comeback in the summer hardcourt season!

·
Premium Member
27,114 Posts
Physical peak as in as fit as she was before 1993 ?

No but shock, horror - people put on weight as they get older.

Fit as in to compete ?

Yes.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I don't think so, although she was looking really good at the French Open 1998, her dad had just died and she was working hard with Gavin Hopper I think.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
of course people gain weight when they get older..
i seriously could do with some weight myself..!
i mean fit as in just healthy and compete at the top level..

·
Registered
24,193 Posts
i thought she looked awesome for most of 96.... OOO!!! and summer of 2001 she looked awesome. those (sad but true) are the only times that come to mind when i think "top physical form." she has only been bad physically at one point, and i cant really nail it down. it's the era of that picture where shes in a white dress arguing a call and she looks to be in miserable physical shape.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
Kart said:

Fit as in to compete ?

Yes.
:sad:
don't say such depressing things :mad: ;)

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
the "worst" monica looked was in spring 98 when her father was dying. I remember a paper making fun of it. a shame :mad:

·
Registered
19,165 Posts
IMO, Monica was worst in 1997 Wimbledon.

Monica's best shape was in the summer hardcourt season of 2001.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
She was the best in Summer Harcourt season of 2001, Roland Garros 1998, and Australian Open 2002.

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
yeh monica has always been a little chubby, especially after the stabbing.. i like and admire this girl so much, with all her courage, and i wished she would've won the french final in 1998...or at least win another one now....

·
Registered
377 Posts
Monica was not ever 'chubby' before the stabbing. Her peak was at the Oz open in '93.

She was not in brilliant shape in '96.

I agree her worst time was in '97 but this was understandable - she never even practised whilst her father was deteriorating. Very sad, especially since, as some people have said, the press made fun of her for it.

One thing worth remembering though is that aside from her weight (although the two are linked obviously) there has also been lots of longer term different injuries that have afflicted Monica. Off the top of my head:

shoulder injury, twisted ankle, chronic foot problems (the most serious imo), etc.

The weight issues have most likely attributed to some of the injuries but the fact that some issues have prevented her from training fully will affect the weight - chicken and egg scenario.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
8,263 Posts
summer hard court 2001, but too abd that she play too much and end up running out of gas

·
25,368 Posts
Smack on the mark Scorch. She's had a run of bad luck too with injuries and her father.

The mystery to me is why she's so against surgery of any kind. At least twice she's refused to have it when it seemed a good option, and she more or less indicted that if it takes a long time to recover this time she's calling it quits.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
injuries are no reason to get unfit weightwise. the opposite imho :eek:

but then monica said herself that she was overeating to deal with her problems so it's obvious she has/had a problem with food!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Monica has not had a full season of competition since '92 (can't even be sure that was complete).

When Monica came back in '95 her priorities had changed. It was no longer 'tennis is my life and comes above all else.' She was not in peak physical fitness but felt that she had to get back into playing since she had been away from the game for so long. She played Canadian open then US open then the ankle (?) injury, then went to Oz then shoulder injury. Pretty much from then on there were things going on that were detrimental to her tennis.

Monica knew when she returned what it takes to be at the top and she also knew from bitter experience how it feels to commit to something totally and then have it taken away. It is my belief that Monica made a pact to herself that she would do what she loved to do (play tennis) but that as a security mechanism she would never again commit to it 100% and risk being devastated by having it taken away from her. Hence the refusal to have surgery, take on a long-term tactical coach etc. Pop psychology at its best (or worst) but it is my opinion.

As much as I would have loved a return to the success of Monica's first tennis career I admire that courage she had in coming back - and by doing it in her own terms despite the criticism that has been heaped on her over the years. She came back, she played great and still worked very, very hard, but she also cultivated the new life perspective she started to experience when she was forced from the game. :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think her general fitness level has been better since summer '01. She also lost a lot of weight in late Spring '98.

She certainly wasn't fit in '96; anyone who saw her puffing her way through the second round match with Studenikova at Wimbledon, or the way she ran out of gas against Novotna in the Olympics Quarter final and again versus Graf in the US final could attest to that...

'97 and early '98 was understandable with everything going on off court, but it was really only during 2001 that she really committed to a training programme that paid real dividends on court; those summer hardcourt tournaments and the wins over Capriati, Hingis and Serena Williams gave a glimpse of what Monica could have achieved if she'd truly raised the bar on her fitness. She turned back the clock with her game and her stamina and energy level was terrific... Sadly as the loss to Hingis at the Aus Open semi '02 attested, she wasn't able to keep at it...

I doubt that she'll have the foot surgery, because coming back from nine months out all over again is one thing in your early twenties, but as you reach your thirties it's much much harder... Plus your priorites in life change...

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
Kart said:

Yeah, just look at Agassi and Navratilova. Both of them really put on the pounds as they aged.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
I agree Monica didn't look too good during early 98 but it amazed me how much she had trained FOR Roland Garros that year! It was like she was a different person! I just watched the final again just recently and it amazed me how much she kept up with Arantxa and there were definitely shots even I didn't think she get to..of course Arantxa played one of her best matches that day and there was nothing Monica could have done about it..that 2nd set was just AMAZING though..

Wimby 98 she looked more fit and she wore a tight fitting dress to prove it. :)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts