Tennis Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Didn't watch it all, but it didn't seem to me that there was any physical concerns. Haddad Maia just played better when it mattered with some key returns to break Simona for 5-4 and then held her nerves after double faulting on MP. It was a good week overall.

Don't know if she'll play Bad Homburg, but at least her match is scheduled for tuesday, so she will have some time to recover.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I'll put the Bad Homburg draw in, there is currently no indication that Simona withdrew.

Kasatkina (1) v Petkovic
Liu v Niemeier (WC)
(Q)Swan v Stephens
Andreescu v Trevisan (7)

Halep (4) v Siniakova
(Q)Hatouka v Zidansek
Li v Bondar
Van Uytvanck v Anisimova (6)

Cornet (9) v Kalinskaya
Potapova v Maria (WC)
Juvan v Bronzetti
(Q)Gasanova v Kerber (3)

Samsonova (8) v (Q)Rakhimova
Sasnovich v Garcia
(LL)Doi v Minnen
Lisicki (WC) v Korpatsch

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Simona extended her stay in Bad Homburg, winning nine games in a row against her hobbled opponent. Simona looked fine to me physically and it's the first time this season she has won after losing the first set.
We'll see in the next round how committed she is to going deep in the tournament.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Well, today she had a better performance with a weaker opponent. She still managed to lose focus at the beginning of the second set (sounds familiar?) but she regained it on time. The serve was definitely better and the unforced errors were less frequent but there is still room for improvement. Next round will be more significant.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I was mostly impressed with Simona's performance today. She very quickly sank her teeth into Zidansek's serving and was very efficient in quickly finishing the first set. However, you do worry about the start of the second set. It is something opponents will likely expect and it will give them hope after losing the first set. Simona should be praised for regaining her focus in time and winning six games out of the last seven.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Well, today she had a better performance with a weaker opponent. She still managed to lose focus at the beginning of the second set (sounds familiar?) but she regained it on time. The serve was definitely better and the unforced errors were less frequent but there is still room for improvement. Next round will be more significant.
It's Zidansek on grass. Simona has to play very very bad in order to let her win.:rolleyes:
Is Simo serious about reaching the final? (Don't be silly) I don't mind if she loses to Anisimova playing an okay match.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I was very impressed with Simona today. Anisimova missed her big chance to break serve early on and then Simona efficiently made her way through the rest of the match, getting to double figures in aces. Simona also gets to 26 wins for this season, already surpassing what she was able to do last year.
I wouldn't mind if Simona went flat out from now on in an attempt to win this trophy, it is an opportunity to add some points.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Another nice match against a dangerous opponent (yet weakened by some wrist injury, but Amanda's major drawback was her falling focus linked to Simona's aggresive stance). Good serve (some double faults were still there), witty returns, definitely more than in her previous matches. She preserved her energies, though I wonder if she will really play her SF against Bianca: most people want her in Wimbledon early, for the opening match. I hope she won't dedicate too much time for the Bad Homburg final stages, she doesn't desperately need a victory here or some little extra points, she should point on the Grand Slam events (the "Big picture" - (c) Darren)

·
Registered
617 Posts
Halep beat Anisimova 6-2 6-1 ...all her fans rejoice and praise their favorite, while others get excited about her rematch with Andreescu tomorrow.

Simona why you have to WIN NOW!? Bad Homburg ISN'T that IMPORTANT! Save your best for Wimbledon you will need it!
Probably Rain Will Win Tomorrow. Are you going to beat Bianca and then Cornet in two 3 hrs matches on Sat to lift that ...glass or acrylic or wooden trophy? What heroic act!😭

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
Simona has withdrawn from Bad Homburg and she has a tough Wimbledon draw. All those years spent mostly in the top 4, must makes draws like this look very onerous.
I was surprised that she played Bad Homburg at all and six wins on grass is plenty of preparation.

Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Number

·
Registered
962 Posts
Don't like players treating tournaments as only warm ups, but in this Grand Slam centric era it is what it is.

Terrible draw for Simona in Wimbledon with many tricky opponents. But if she keeps her form of these past weeks she can make it. Muchova is a great grass player with back to bach QF's on Wimbledon, but her form is questionable after her injuries. Flipkens is another good grass player, but is retiring. Giorgi is always hit or miss. So many tough matches, but she can go through if she plays well.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've been really confused about why she's gone all Patrick! I get that he's her coach but I don't see most players putting their coaches on social media so often.

Just saw her insta story. Does she have an agreement to promote him and his business at every opportunity? Perhaps there is a business partnership she might be planning post-retirement?

Drinkware Green Cup Ingredient Material property

·
Registered
617 Posts
I've been really confused about why she's gone all Patrick! I get that he's her coach but I don't see most players putting their coaches on social media so often.
Just saw her insta story. Does she have an agreement to promote him and his business at every opportunity? Perhaps there is a business partnership she might be planning post-retirement?
Did any journalist (dare to) ask her the questions? Info unavailable. My guess is yes, and yes.

Nah, her relationship with Cahill was kinda the same, the difference is that Darren is low profile, but she was all the time with him on social media as well. Mouratoglou is a self promoting machine, so everything gets amplified.
Here is a good piece on The Guardian pre Wimbledon: Simona Halep: ‘I told my family I was done with tennis – but I still love it’
I saw nothing new in the article, same theme all over again.

Simo doesn't get to open the court, but she has a splendid path to close the court for them. Great job Wimbledon!🌟👍

I :love: Muchova too. I'll go with her the whole tournament if she gets through.
But Simona, you better win this one- oh you better do;)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Another chance in this lifetime"😂

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Simona did a very good job of winning efficiently against a fairly big hitting but ponderous opponent. I was impressed by the way that Simona started the second set with intent. She returned well and posted some good numbers for the match.

Font Number Symmetry Circle Parallel

·
Registered
617 Posts
Sorry Muchova had to face Simo in R1.:(
It's really no shame for her to lose to Simo, who has played herself into form on grass.
Very glad to see Simo didn't lose her focus for even one point in the match. I think she respects Mucho a lot.:)
Flipkens next.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Simona did a very good job of winning efficiently against a fairly big hitting but ponderous opponent. I was impressed by the way that Simona started the second set with intent. She returned well and posted some good numbers for the match.
A very solid match indeed, NID.
Since our friend and pal Physicist DCsabaS seems to have taken a long break from posting on TF, let me use these stats for a sketched analysis.
According to the data, Simona won 59 points from which 24 were gifted by Muchova through UE -> she won by own merits 59-24 = 35 points. She also made 9 UEs, therefore the aggressive margin was AM = 35 - 9 = 26.
The match was 17 games long, therefore the relevant parameter AM/game = 26/17 = +1,53 for Simona (+0,18 for Muchova). It is a good number for a start. Yet let me quote DCsabaS: "This peak level [+2.00] is typical to those players who have a ceiling of Top 5-Top 10 ranking [...]. The No.1 and GS champion girls usually have at least +3.00 peak level". Therefore, if we admit to share his statistic based conclusions, Simona has room to improve and should do it in the next rounds if she wants to be a legit contender to the title. On the other hand, she has to win other 6 matches and save some energy by not spreading too much[ova] if not really necessary.

LE: another interesting parameter is given by a newspaper site, they say the maximum series of consecutive points won was 7 for Simona and 3 for Karolina. Not bad but I've seen better from her. :)

21 - 40 of 43 Posts