Tennis Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
They are chickens, but it's not just Halep or Barty. Or Nadal. Dozens of them. Their teams are also chickens, it's not like they are very old.
It's not your life that might be on the line here, so how do you get off calling them "chickens?" In case you haven't noticed, tens of thousands of young and supposedly healthy people have been killed by this virus. There is absolutely no reason for people to expose themselves to any additional risk IF THEY DON'T WANT TO. There is no law that says these people MUST play the US Open because Black Panther (and others) will get upset if they don't.

The chances of athletes dying are slim. How to skip a Slam?
"Slim" does NOT mean zero. Of course it's highly unlikely that any of the tennis players at that level will die from the virus, but Grigor Dimitrov has already made public just how bad he still feels, more than a month after he contracted Covid-19.

But I also respect their decisions.
No, you don't. Calling someone a chicken is not a sign of respect in any language.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
Why, mate? I support Halep, you support Barty, but it doesn't mean I have to share the same opinion. I really respect their decisions, but I am disappointed. If you want, you can lock yourself in the house for the next 2-3 years. The elderly must be protected. But the young people without medical problems and who have a normal life, and with exercising (sport), do not have to worry. Who makes Halep drag her family also after her?

What are we doing? We stop the sport or we force the athletes to play. If tennis players were basketball (NBA) players? They would have been forced to play. WTA millions are not good?
So many straw men we should start a bonfire and make a new start.

Your use of the derogatory term is revealing...
"chicken" --> cowardice --> they should play --> you are contradicting yourself and do not respect their decisions at all --> I'm tired of reading posts like this --> I'm tempted to express some unfiltered comments but won't cos life is too damn short for this bs.

·
Banned
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Djokovic goes to war, Halep, Nadal etc are led by families and managers! Some are adults, some are children, even though Novak was at the other extreme in Yugoslavia.

If I would have been a player, I would have tried to respect my contract according to a logical thinking.

But it doesn't matter, I am sorry if I offended anyone... It's all about the WTA contract that is stupid! They are not obliged to appear.

So many straw men we should start a bonfire and make a new start.

Your use of the derogatory term is revealing...
"chicken" --> cowardice --> they should play --> you are contradicting yourself and do not respect their decisions at all --> I'm tired of reading posts like this --> I'm tempted to express some unfiltered comments but won't cos life is too damn short for this bs.
Ok, ok, I apologise. I will not bother you again with this, showing I really respect their decision. It was not just me who has posted such opinions.

It's not your life that might be on the line here, so how do you get off calling them "chickens?" In case you haven't noticed, tens of thousands of young and supposedly healthy people have been killed by this virus. There is absolutely no reason for people to expose themselves to any additional risk IF THEY DON'T WANT TO. There is no law that says these people MUST play the US Open because Black Panther (and others) will get upset if they don't.

"Slim" does NOT mean zero. Of course it's highly unlikely that any of the tennis players at that level will die from the virus, but Grigor Dimitrov has already made public just how bad he still feels, more than a month after he contracted Covid-19.

No, you don't. Calling someone a chicken is not a sign of respect in any language.
True, true, just that in New Zealand you did not have our experience. Have you even lived with the virus? But if you think it's so dangerous, why isn't the WTA fair and not stopping the competition?

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Romania is being hit with 1000+ cases everyday, I wish Simona and some people understood that they are not safe anywhere in the world.

Just take the necessary measures (wash your hands, even go further and carry a little alcohol bottle around to clean your hands when you touch something, use a facemask, avoid contact with others) and you will be safer, but its dumb to think theres a place in the world thats safe. Everywhere is dangerous, so why go to Prague and not New York is totally behind my comprehension.

In all honesty I cant respect people who are willing to play everywhere but wont go to the States, its just downright dumb!
NYC has about 300 new cases a day and about 6 new deaths a day at the present.
See gothamist,com

·
Banned
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Some fans are really hypocritical, don't be upset, well, do I understand that Djokovic and Co are going to a potential virus that kills? You are just like the WTA, we send them to die! Where the heck is logic?

That's why I said, we play or we don't play. That is, they play or they do not play. Either everyone plays, that is, mandatorily, or no one plays anymore and tennis is stopped.

If I had been in the WTA, given the team sports contracts (stupid I would say), I would have stopped the circuits.

It's an opinion. And my last one on this subject.

PS. Even more hypocritically, all the players have already played warm-up matches. It's good that they also don't get sick during the holidays, many have traveled by plane. Don't you check their Instagram?

But the WTA's imbecility continues, not forcing players to play. Maybe they can't because of a stupid contract.

The true reality must be presented. We protect our players or not. The NBA and the UEFA understood. I'm not sure it was the wise decision, but it's the only way if you still want sports. To learn to live with the pandemic, and to protect ourselves everywhere. The elderly to stay in the house and the sick people. Even the UFC is running, and that's about contact.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
If I would have been a player, I would have tried to respect my contract according to a logical thinking.

But it doesn't matter, I am sorry if I offended anyone... It's all about the WTA contract that is stupid! They are not obliged to appear.
And that's the point which you appear reluctant to accept.
Ok, ok, I apologise. I will not bother you again with this, showing I really respect their decision. It was not just me who has posted such opinions.
That doesn't make you calling them "chickens" any less unpleasant.
True, true, just that in New Zealand you did not have our experience. Have you even lived with the virus?
No, and I don't know anyone who has.
But if you think it's so dangerous, why isn't the WTA fair and not stopping the competition?
Why are you asking ME? I have no influence with the WTA (or USTA).

Three months ago I would have said that anyone expecting the US Open to go ahead was being far more hopeful than realistic. With the protocols that are now in place, and the way that the infection rates in New York have dropped, I feel rather more at ease now than I did then about the safety of the players when they are within the US Open bubble. HOWEVER, they still have to get to New York to join that bubble, without incident and without coming into contact with anyone. How they will manage that is another story entirely and, if players such as Barty and Halep decide that they can't do it safely, it is THEIR choice not to participate.

It's not up to you (or anyone else) to moan about it and call them chickens. You don't seem to realise that those others of us who support those players are also extremely disappointed that they won't be there, because we want to see them, too. However, if they want to wait for a time that they consider safer, that's THEIR choice - one which I DO respect.

·
Banned
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
You buy 10-15 plane tickets. :) I would never lock myself in the house unless I could work from home. It is impossible to live like this for a long time, if you are an active person.

However, I invite you to take each player who does not want to participate in the US Open, and follow it a little on Instagram.

I am reading the news about Halep.

The tennis player never goes out in the crowd, and when she goes to the restaurant she does it only in the complex where she lives or in certain nearby places and only with her boyfriend or one or two close friends.

At the wedding of a cousin of our player was, except for the tennis player, her whole family.

Plus Halep played exhibition in Romania, in another town than her hometown. All the players probably flew to Cluj Napoca.

Anyway, Halep will probably participate, being forced now by Madrid cancellation. But I'm just saying, a chicken really stays in the house.

As Jose and Ziggy explained, it is more dangerous these days to contact the virus in Romania than in New York.

·
Registered
114,058 Posts
If anyone, including Nadal, Barty or Halep, does not want to go to NY and play, I think its a fair decision
It is vital to both tours for the USTA to play this and things go smoothly, like WTT just did in the US
But I understand athletes who want to wait and watch this month

Reactions: ziggy2shus3

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Pfffft she won't! She was scared shitless to even drive in her Porsche to Italy, how in the world would she have guts to fly to US?

·
Registered
8,470 Posts
I don't know about you but these "will they or won't they" threads are about as interesting as Rachel and Ross a decade after it has already aired. I'm excited for the USO so that the "will the USO happen" thread will finally be put to bed. Ditto RG and AO.

But yet, I'm here posting here and there. Which I suppose says more about me than it does about Rachel and Ross. And shows that we should all just watch Frasier instead.
What about Pam and Jim? :)

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
But yet, I'm here posting here and there. Which I suppose says more about me than it does about Rachel and Ross. And shows that we should all just watch Frasier instead.
Or Seinfeld. Friends is good, but kind of overrated.

·
Registered
174 Posts
QUOTE>>But the young people without medical problems and who have a normal life, and with exercising (sport), do not have to worry........an Australian rugby player has already had to retire due to COVID damage to his heart....https://thenewdaily.com.au/life/wellbeing/2020/07/19/covid-patients-with-damaged-hearts/....

·
Registered
8,470 Posts
QUOTE>>But the young people without medical problems and who have a normal life, and with exercising (sport), do not have to worry........an Australian rugby player has already had to retire due to COVID damage to his heart....https://thenewdaily.com.au/life/wellbeing/2020/07/19/covid-patients-with-damaged-hearts/....
Dimitrov also said that he had not fully recovered and had some breathing problems. There are always exemptions and outliers.

·
Banned
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Simona Halep: "At the moment, I'm not going to the US Open. It's been a weird year, we have to get used to it. I really missed tennis, that's why I also registered for the doubles event in Prague."

"I don't know yet if I'm going to America. At the moment, no! Health is the most important thing and no one can judge someone when they make a strictly personal decision! ", said the Romanian.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
That translation is bad. But the idea is basically that she will not go if C19 situation will be like it is right now.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts