Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Essentially Sports on google news has an article about that possibility.
BUT, Simona is still afraid to fly with covid-19 around.
Two passengers were kicked off a Delta Airlines plane because they refused to wear a face mask.

·
Registered
31,831 Posts
Simona is notorious for making some very head-scratching decisions… She withdrew from Palermo because of corona and fear of flying (after they had gone to the highest levels of government to ensure she could play) yet now is still signed up for Prague.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Where is the source that she MIGHT play though...

·
Registered
660 Posts
For any player that is not in the US...i'll believe it when I see it...

Reactions: WhistleCleaner

·
Registered
4,177 Posts
So... she thinks Paris is not gonna happen, doesnt she?

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
I don't know about you but these "will they or won't they" threads are about as interesting as Rachel and Ross a decade after it has already aired. I'm excited for the USO so that the "will the USO happen" thread will finally be put to bed. Ditto RG and AO.

But yet, I'm here posting here and there. Which I suppose says more about me than it does about Rachel and Ross. And shows that we should all just watch Frasier instead.

·
30,990 Posts
Romania is being hit with 1000+ cases everyday, I wish Simona and some people understood that they are not safe anywhere in the world.

Just take the necessary measures (wash your hands, even go further and carry a little alcohol bottle around to clean your hands when you touch something, use a facemask, avoid contact with others) and you will be safer, but its dumb to think theres a place in the world thats safe. Everywhere is dangerous, so why go to Prague and not New York is totally behind my comprehension.

In all honesty I cant respect people who are willing to play everywhere but wont go to the States, its just downright dumb!

·
Banned
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Romania is being hit with 1000+ cases everyday, I wish Simona and some people understood that they are not safe anywhere in the world.

Just take the necessary measures (wash your hands, even go further and carry a little alcohol bottle around to clean your hands when you touch something, use a facemask, avoid contact with others) and you will be safer, but its dumb to think theres a place in the world thats safe. Everywhere is dangerous, so why go to Prague and not New York is totally behind my comprehension.

In all honesty I cant respect people who are willing to play everywhere but wont go to the States, its just downright dumb!
Halep will be tested. And the others are safe? In Romania the virus has just returned, they just made the masks obligatory. I am checking world's media and the situation. But comparing with Romania, in the US there are 1000 deaths daily. Not new cases, deaths.

Ah, you mean they should play. Of course they should, just that New York is epicenter, and Prague is not. Romania is certainly more risky than Czech Republic now, but I don't think she interacted at all at home.

Still, it was funny many wanted to play in Madrid, but not at US Open. Perhaps in Spain there are still many asymptomatic, even if the pandemic has regressed. Spain was a world epicenter.

Overall, not even Prague is safe. It's a city well known for immigration.

·
30,990 Posts
Halep will be tested. And the others are safe? In Romania the virus has just returned, they just made the masks obligatory. I am checking world's media and the situation. But comparing with Romania, in the US there are 1000 deaths daily. Not new cases, deaths.

Ah, you mean they should play. Of course they should, just that New York is epicenter, and Prague is not. Romania is certainly more risky than Czech Republic now, but I don't think she interacted at all at home.

Still, it was funny many wanted to play in Madrid, but not at US Open. Perhaps in Spain there are still many asymptomatic, even if the pandemic has regressed. Spain was a world epicenter.

Overall, not even Prague is safe. It's a city well known for immigration.
Exactly my point, nowhere is safe, and we cannot compare US to Romania numbers or Czechia numbers.

If shes afraid of catching the virus she should just stay at home (not even go outside), everytime she leaves the house she is at risk, no matter in Romania, Czechia or USA. Sure the risks are different and perhaps theres a bigger risk in USA, but there is still a risk everywhere.

If shes that afraid she would not go to Prague, Paris, etc. as there is a risk. So I dont buy this being afraid of catching virus BS. She is obviously focusing on clay. Same goes for Nadal... and Barty as defending champion.

Now if they would just skip the full season I would respect them!

·
Banned
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
They are chickens, but it's not just Halep or Barty. Or Nadal. Dozens of them. Their teams are also chickens, it's not like they are very old. The chances of athletes dying are slim. How to skip a Slam?

But I also respect their decisions.

·
Banned
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
🧐Probably time for me to take a break from TF
Why, mate? I support Halep, you support Barty, but it doesn't mean I have to share the same opinion. I really respect their decisions, but I am disappointed. If you want, you can lock yourself in the house for the next 2-3 years. The elderly must be protected. But the young people without medical problems and who have a normal life, and with exercising (sport), do not have to worry. Who makes Halep drag her family also after her?

What are we doing? We stop the sport or we force the athletes to play. If tennis players were basketball (NBA) players? They would have been forced to play. WTA millions are not good. The WTA must close or force athletes to be present. We play or we don't play. With Zika was really different.

Not to mention that the contract provided for mandatory tournaments.

As Jose said, for many months at least nothing will change. The New York virus does not live in the hotel or in the arena.

Than to play without half the players, it would have been better for the WTA to close the tour. Because their athletes are chickens, not athletes. This is the reality from the view of the brave.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts