Tennis Forum banner

81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
Good Luck Caro in 2019!
181,841 Posts
Just the latest, in Uganda was a plane haijacket sp?) but Isreali army freed the ppl caugt, that was in 1977, after that died the 3 in jail, shoot them self said the police...

·
Registered
768 Posts
Thanks @Jorn, @Bagelstick didn't know about this case.
More insight into this interesting case:
-movie: Mogadischu (2008) - about the nicely solved airplane hijack that led to the suicide of 3 of the jailed terrorists.
-details: wikipedia.org/wiki/Lufthansa_Flight_181

Just the latest, in Uganda was a plane haijacket sp?) but Isreali army freed the ppl caugt, that was in 1977, after that died the 3 in jail, shoot them self said the police...
Yeah, another interesting case, Operation Entebbe (Thunderbolt) on the 4th of July 1976.
Raid on Entebbe (1976)
Entebbe: Operation Thunderbolt (1977)
7 Days in Entebbe (2018)

Reactions: EkVraNaamEnVan

·
Good Luck Caro in 2019!
181,841 Posts
Now we are offtopic, has any body heard what has happen to Christian Klarr, ithink his name was, last i heard about RAF he got caught near Hamborg , but i forgot when but can check it, maybe his released from the jail again?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Now we are offtopic, has any body heard what has happen to Christian Klarr, ithink his name was, last i heard about RAF he got caught near Hamborg , but i forgot when but can check it, maybe his released from the jail again?
Well, the RAF disbanded in 1998. All the former members of the RAF that were in jail in Germany were released, the last of them between 2007 and 2011.

And back to the topic...
Most likely, these days Simona is looking at the numbers in the picture above trying to decide if she'll go to Prague or not. Hint: The Czech Republic has better (lower) Covid numbers than Romania.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I red this thread and noticed some false informations in a few interventions (thogh I assume the posters didn't do it by purpose).
So I need to fix some details here:

Halep is not living in Constanta (she was born there) or in Cluj but in Bucharest.

If you go by car, from Bucharest to Prague is around 1350 km (and around 200 km of that distance, while crossing the Carpathians mountains, are not on highway). Before entering in the Czech Republik, following this shortest route, somebody must cross Hungary and Slovakia.
Theoretically this takes around 14 hours (not counting the pitstops on the way), which makes it quite challenging to make in a single day.
But the reality is worse, mainly due to the issues in the border customs between Romania and Hungary. There are a lot of complicate procedures for sanitary check-in (because of the COVID-19 pandemy) and that slows the traffic both ways, sometimes with a few hours. Don't know if you have to follow the same procedures when crossing the border in Slovakia, then in Czech Republik. EU as a federation of independent states is not (yet) like US, so travelling by car between two EU states in this pandemic threat may be more complicate than driving from Florida to Georgia.

The private jet option is not that simple. I have experienced it a few years ago, flying from Bucharest to Ausburg in a 6 places plane (that was because such a tiny jet wasn't allowed to land in Franz Joseph Strauss Airport) and the expense for that flight to Augsburg, then a pause of 4 days there (including the accomodations costs for the pilot), then for flying back to Bucharest was around 20.000 EUR. Now may be a little bit more due to the influence of the inflation. I gave this example assuming the distances from Buharest to Augsburg or to Prague are pretty much the same so the expenses may be similar.
Guess the money to rent a small plane for such a purpose won't be an issue for Simona but the conditions during the flight are not the best. The flying hight for this kind of planes is around 1.000 - 1.500 m and the little plane is shaking most of the time. For me wasn't a problem at all (I took it as a given and somehow funny fact) but I suppose some people don't feel confortable in such condition. If Simona falls in this cathegory then she has no real option to go in Prague unless she assumes a couple of 2 days drive with a pitstop in Budapest (or Bratislava) which is fairly unlikely to happen.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I won't criticise Simona if she is reluctant to fly at the moment, I would be too.
Simona's management have had little to do in the past few months and I'd like to see them being put to work finding solutions to enable her to play.
If she is going to play Prague, I'd like to see her starting her journey soon to give her time to arrive and observe the protocols.
Whether she plays Prague or not, serious consideration needs to be given to the feasibility of playing Madrid, Rome and RG in succession.
A contingency would be to travel to France in time to quarantine, if needed, then play Strasbourg and RG.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Why are the only options being considered car or private jet? Being Simona, she would need her whole team, parents, nieces, dogs, etc so she could just hire a luxury bus, sleep on it and travel for three days to get there

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Why are the only options being considered car or private jet? Being Simona, she would need her whole team, parents, nieces, dogs, etc so she could just hire a luxury bus, sleep on it and travel for three days to get there
that gave me Aravane Rezaï vibes :giggle:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Isn´t Simona out already of this one? I mean, since she used that argument to skip Palermo and nothing changed...

·
Registered
63 Posts
I wonder if Simona is even gonna play anymore in 2020. It's quite likely she's gonna withdraw from Prague as well, she doesn't want to play USO, Madrid might get cancelled and she might even skip Rome because of the quarantine restrictions. At that point why even bother playing RG with no matches under your feet ?

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
I think she has to fly from Romania to the Czech Republic because the overland route by bus, train or limousine is via either Austria or Slovakia, which both cause problems because of quarantine rules imposed on Romania due to it no longer being a 'low risk country'.

·
Registered
74 Posts
No, she could go via Ukraine and Poland who do not have quarantine restrictions for entry for Romanian (and EU) citizens.

Also, Czech Rep. Does not have quarantine for EU citizens

81 - 95 of 95 Posts