Tennis Forum banner

61 - 80 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
She seems like quite the mental case.
That's unfair. The private charter in 2017 was an eight-seater twin turboprop Beech King Air, which a LOT of people don't like flying in because they feel it's too small and claustrophobic (exactly what Halep said). It might have been a different story if somebody had sprung for a Learjet!

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I know this is being pedantic, but she's not withdrawing "at the last minute." It's still a week until the tournament starts - plenty of time to rearrange the draws and ensure that the next player on the alternate list is aware that they're one step closer to getting a starting slot. I get far more annoyed when players pull out for no obvious reason just a day or two before they're supposed to turn up. Halep, in my opinion, has plenty of reasons to pull out now - as do any of the other players who may feel that enough is not yet being done to make tournaments bullet-proof when it comes to Covid-19.
The big problem the tournament directors have is with the angry fans and sponsors.
Fans that bought tickets to see Halep are probably on the phone wanting their money back.
Sponsors seeing a big television viewership are now yelling at the event directors, saying that they want new lower rates.
The tournament directors thought they found a gold mine, but it was just "covid-19 fools gold".

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
That's unfair. The private charter in 2017 was an eight-seater twin turboprop Beech King Air, which a LOT of people don't like flying in because they feel it's too small and claustrophobic (exactly what Halep said). It might have been a different story if somebody had sprung for a Learjet!
A lot of people don't like flying in small aircraft. Small planes bounce around a lot in weather conditions, and they have a much higher rate of crashes than big airliners, and helicopters crash more often than small planes.
In the USA only 3 people have died in big airline accidents in the past 20 years where millions of people fly every year.
(My def: big airlines are planes that seat over 100 people.)

·
Good Luck Caro in 2019!
181,841 Posts
Offtopic, in Germany a small plane crached into an house and kill some, i never enter a plane, but not easy to go by van always to ex. USA...

Btw, Woz often go by private jets but they were pretty big...so possible...

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
A lot of people don't like flying in small aircraft. Small planes bounce around a lot in weather conditions, and they have a much higher rate of crashes than big airliners, and helicopters crash more often than small planes.
In the USA only 3 people have died in big airline accidents in the past 20 years where millions of people fly every year.
...i never enter a plane, but not easy to go by van always to ex. USA...
It doesn't matter how you define them, though, because it's still safer to fly than to travel by road.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
It doesn't matter how you define them, though, because it's still safer to fly than to travel by road.
In the last 20 years in the USA about 600,000 have died in auto accidents, compared to 3 deaths in big airliners.
A billionaire and owner of the LA Lakers basketball team flew coach on discount airliners rather than flying in a private jet. He did the math and the math said..... fly big.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion is off the rails, whether we offer to taxi her, fly her in an airbus, buy a rusty piece of junk-car, she ain't coming (to Palermo).....No matter how many planes we boarded ourselves to go see a movie....

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Yes, this was my point and it was not meant to attack Simona, just that I thought that makes it more unlikely she will charter a plane to tournaments. So her calculus about the security of airports will be different than some other top player's - and with Romania situation looking a bit uncertain at the moment I understand her point of view completely.

·
Registered
7,386 Posts
Offtopic, in Germany a small plane crashed into an house and kill some, i never enter a plane, but not easy to go by van always to ex. USA...

Btw, Woz often go by private jets but they were pretty big...so possible...
I guess you can go by van to Australia :sneaky:

Small planes are definitely the worst, especially the turbulence. For me, even if more people die by car crashes, suicides, murders, etc I still have a fear of flying. I have taught my body over the years to immediately sleep after takeoff and landing. It just happens.

·
Registered
31,207 Posts

·
Registered
31,386 Posts
Good for her! The tennis circuit already does enough to fuck the planet without players using private jets too.
The ATP Cup was giving money to the Australian bushfires relief fund only to make the teams travel to Sydney by private jets. I mean ... The environment is a cause most preachy tennis players should stay away from in general.

Halep flew from Montréal to Cincinnati in a private jet in 2018.

61 - 80 of 95 Posts