Tennis Forum banner

41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Yes I already knew that - but I’m wondering if this sort of situation will put many other players off too resulting in high no. of withdrawals and depleted fields.. It all depends on the country hosting and the country the player is travelling from.
what's your point then? Yes - COVID-19 pandemic will most definitely result in lots of players withdrawing whether due to a fear of getting infected or various national restrictions that will fluctuate and vary around the world. Being optimistic, we can hope it's gonna be resolved somewhere mid 2022.

·
Registered
11,518 Posts
Absolutely not. The tour has to resume asap no matter what, otherwise the risk is that there could really be no tour next year due to insurmountable financial losses. Up until 2019 the WTA was making a profit of 6 million dollars and could count on liquid assets of on only 5 million. In comparison, the ATP had a 19 million dollars profit and liquid assets for 160 million dollars. It is safe to say that the WTA could go bankrupt if the tour doesn't find a way to resume this year as it is not guaranteed that tournaments that are being canceled will be able to come back next year.
You seem more knowledgeable on the profit side of things - how much difference is it really going to make if only a handful of WTA events take place this year anyway, and only a couple of slams - all which could have very depleted / disjointed competition as a result of international travel restrictions and players personal preferences. With no / limited crowds (nil tickets sold) how can these events make a healthy profit, that feed into the WTA’s budget?

·
Registered
11,518 Posts
what's your point then? Yes - COVID-19 pandemic will most definitely result in lots of players withdrawing whether due to a fear of getting infected or various national restrictions that will fluctuate and vary around the world. Being optimistic, we can hope it's gonna be resolved somewhere mid 2022.
It was an opinion more than a point. I think the tour should resume once systems are less complicated - in return we would have fairer competition and stronger fields. I was all for the tour returning now, initially. What is currently in place seems all sorts of overcomplicated with too many dependents.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
It was an opinion more than a point. I think the tour should resume once systems are less complicated - in return we would have fairer competition and stronger fields. I was all for the tour returning now, initially. What is currently in place seems all sorts of overcomplicated with too many dependents.
you mean January 2023 or mid-2022?

·
Registered
176 Posts
I guess she will be out of this one too, the situation won´t change in the next week.

·
Registered
11,518 Posts
you mean January 2023 or mid-2022?
Much more can be done in the interim to make it more seamless for athletes to travel from / to countries and compete in professional events. In turn less withdrawals and fairer / equitable competition.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I guess she will be out of this one too, the situation won´t change in the next week.
Halep sat out the Olympics in Brazil because of some virus.
It appears that she is primarily concerned with flying on a virus filled airplane at the present.
She could drive from Bucharest to Prague...!,350 k, 850 miles....a long drive.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You seem more knowledgeable on the profit side of things - how much difference is it really going to make if only a handful of WTA events take place this year anyway, and only a couple of slams - all which could have very depleted / disjointed competition as a result of international travel restrictions and players personal preferences. With no / limited crowds (nil tickets sold) how can these events make a healthy profit, that feed into the WTA’s budget?
WTA may possibly generate a somewhat reasonable revenue from sponsoring and TV/Online platforms streaming broadcasting rights. But that depends on how big those contracts are.

·
Registered
7,386 Posts
That's a 3 hours drive, the same time she will use to fly (1 hr before regional flights/30 minutes flight/embarkation).

In any case, she is the goose that lays the golden egg, she might as well look after her health and what's important to her. No need to get some virus over a few bucks. As top players they should give a few millions back to the tour to get it started next year - or borrow/invest in it.

Halep sat out the Olympics in Brazil because of some virus.
It appears that she is primarily concerned with flying on a virus filled airplane at the present.
She could drive from Bucharest to Prague...!,350 k, 850 miles....a long drive.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
That's a 3 hours drive, the same time she will use to fly (1 hr before regional flights/30 minutes flight/embarkation).

In any case, she is the goose that lays the golden egg, she might as well look after her health and what's important to her. No need to get some virus over a few bucks. As top players they should give a few millions back to the tour to get it started next year - or borrow/invest in it.
I hit the wrong key...the drive is 1350k or 850 miles. Two long days of driving.

·
Registered
7,386 Posts
I hit the wrong key...the drive is 1350k or 850 miles. Two long days of driving.
Ohh - still if you drive 120 km/h - a few stops and some traffic.... 14 hrs. Maybe I am used to the German autobahn or long distance between towns in my country. We speed, hence the high accident rate - including drunk drivers.

In anycase, whatever floats her boat.

·
Registered
113,601 Posts
I have no problem with star players sitting back and watching these early events
There is no money here anyway, its just to get the tour started. And the field will be full

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Ohh - still if you drive 120 km/h - a few stops and some traffic.... 14 hrs. Maybe I am used to the German autobahn or long distance between towns in my country. We speed, hence the high accident rate - including drunk drivers.

In anycase, whatever floats her boat.
On YouTube a fellow, Alex Sava, in 2014, drives from Bucharest to Prague in 10 minutes. The video is slightly speeded up.
He leaves at dusk and gets into Prague in the late afternoon....probably an 18 hour drive.
Much of the road in Romania is only two lanes, but the roads thru Hungary and Czech-Slovakia are autobahn style divided highway.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
My friend has fly from Malmø, Sweden to Cluj in Romania where Simo live, she can fly with private jet to Prague, what can go wrong there...
I supposed Halep living in Constanta, any way from Cluj the distance is somewhat shorter, less than 1000 km.
Even by car it may take 10-12 hours, doable if other people are driving and you are comfortably seated in a luxury sedan.
It would be strange a private jet flight: why hasn't she used that even to go to Palermo? Distance is only 400 km more.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have no problem with star players sitting back and watching these early events
There is no money here anyway, its just to get the tour started. And the field will be full
The tournament directors certainly have a problem with what Halep has done here. The issue isn't that top players aren't playing, it's signing up and withdrawing at the last minute that's the issue. It's the same issue we have been seeing with the WTA prior to the pandemic, except now it's even worse because tournaments are feeling more precarious than ever.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
The tournament directors certainly have a problem with what Halep has done here. The issue isn't that top players aren't playing, it's signing up and withdrawing at the last minute that's the issue. It's the same issue we have been seeing with the WTA prior to the pandemic, except now it's even worse because tournaments are feeling more precarious than ever.
I know this is being pedantic, but she's not withdrawing "at the last minute." It's still a week until the tournament starts - plenty of time to rearrange the draws and ensure that the next player on the alternate list is aware that they're one step closer to getting a starting slot. I get far more annoyed when players pull out for no obvious reason just a day or two before they're supposed to turn up. Halep, in my opinion, has plenty of reasons to pull out now - as do any of the other players who may feel that enough is not yet being done to make tournaments bullet-proof when it comes to Covid-19.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I supposed Halep living in Constanta, any way from Cluj the distance is somewhat shorter, less than 1000 km.
Even by car it may take 10-12 hours, doable if other people are driving and you are comfortably seated in a luxury sedan.
It would be strange a private jet flight: why hasn't she used that even to go to Palermo? Distance is only 400 km more.
Halep is highly unlikely to fly a private jet - remember this?

41 - 60 of 95 Posts