Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
54,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Belinda Bencic is the other top 10 player confirmed.

Reactions: S-T-E-V-E

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Two MMs in a row. Someone’s really going for the RG crown this year

·
Registered
8,041 Posts
Two MMs in a row. Someone’s really going for the RG crown this year
Can you really blame her? At this stage all players will want to play whatever tournament they can to get match play for RG. Some of them spent months without training and this is a golden chance to win a Grand Slam where the field will not be at its best.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Can you really blame her? At this stage all players will want to play whatever tournament they can to get match play for RG. Some of them spent months without training and this is a golden chance to win a Grand Slam where the field will not be at its best
Can I blame her? Not at all! I can’t see her travelling to Flushing. And even with the Anisimova defeat in Paris last year she must be one of the favourites in many people’s eyes this time around

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
It makes sense for those players who are intending to just play clay events in Europe and skip the USO to play both Palermo and Prague. Halep and co can use these two events to dust off the cobwebs from months of tennis lockdown, practise more on the bits of their games that are not working so well in the next few weeks at the end of August and then come back for Madrid and Rome more grooved on the surface.

I don't think we can make any assumptions about who will win RG and the USO as I think there could be a lot of upsets with everyone off tour for so long. It is one thing for a few players to be out for a few months but the whole tour??? I would expect some very low quality matches and erratic play these two weeks, some players will be a lot more ready than others, have trained a lot more, there is not much time to get into match shape before these slams pile up. It's all about who hits the ground running and who has lost the momentum or is a bit slower than they were.

One big thing that Halep has in the bag compared to her last clay tour is that totally unexpected Wimbledon title, a GS that virtually no one would have predicted her to win. I think that takes a lot of pressure off her and also she will be less drained and exhausted than she seemed to be last RG.

·
Registered
7,386 Posts
The US-based players won't have much preparation for RG if mandatory quarantine is in place. She might as well prepare well and win it all. I refuse to watch a Barty vs Vondrousova final again. Maybe Barty vs Halep, if Barty is willing to travel.

·
Registered
7,720 Posts
I think this pretty much ensures that Simona will be skipping the USO, then. She's gunning for the FO, and the more match play she can get on clay to knock off the rust, the merrier.

The US-based players won't have much preparation for RG if mandatory quarantine is in place. She might as well prepare well and win it all. I refuse to watch a Barty vs Vondrousova final again. Maybe Barty vs Halep, if Barty is willing to travel.
Is Barty still going to need a private jet to get to Paris? And will the US-based players even be allowed in the EU, or is the travel restriction limited to the actual US citizens?

·
63,748 Posts
I think this indicates that she's not going to the US Open.

I don't think Barty will be going to both USO and RG. Maybe RG, depends on the restrictions.

I still think this is ridiculous that the tour is still going ahead.

·
Good Luck Caro in 2019!
181,841 Posts
Here in Denmark we have about 20 sick in hospital with positive tests, life has to go on sometimes, we allowed 19.000 Germans car up here in a few days, but all is in control, yet. But all here, like in mainly whole EU we may be forced to wear masks in shops and more places... here where i live has had one family from Copenhagen been sick, sickness they got on vacation outsite DK, else none been testet positive here, but i has not heard about sick Germans up here, and they are many on vacation near where i live...
Ash can jump a plane and play atleast Prague and RG, before Madrid and Rome, i just forget if it before RG Madrid and Rome...

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Can you really blame her? At this stage all players will want to play whatever tournament they can to get match play for RG. Some of them spent months without training and this is a golden chance to win a Grand Slam where the field will not be at its best.
Even with the whole field at it's best, Simona would be considered a favorite to win the French open🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
I think this pretty much ensures that Simona will be skipping the USO, then. She's gunning for the FO, and the more match play she can get on clay to knock off the rust, the merrier.

Is Barty still going to need a private jet to get to Paris? And will the US-based players even be allowed in the EU, or is the travel restriction limited to the actual US citizens?
Travel restrictions are based from the country you come from, independently from citizenship.
Of course EU citizens are allowed to reenter in their country, but still have to stay in quarantine if arriving from USA, even indirectly, for example trough UK.

Barty can fly with no problems, it's just Qantas that has suspended the operations, other airlines are working.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I suspect Simona will skip the US Open this year. Even if infection numbers drop in the US and restrictions are eased, the schedule would severely compromise her for Madrid in particular.
I'm looking forward to the season starting again and seeing if Simona focussing on the clay can yield trophies for her.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts