Tennis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
7,427 Posts
This. And even the perceived 'nice' players do it - didn't Clijsters dump hers straight after her first US Open win when she also won the US Open series and had a MASSIVE pay cheque?
We don't know what went on with Clijsters... Sometimes a coach pushes you in way that you (almost) hate in order to achieve a goal, so much so that you just don't want to do that anymore (or you need a mental break from all the stress & pressure of the past weeks, and your coach was at the center of that and falls victim to it). Maybe you don't want him to push further in that direction, maybe you think you can achieve the same with what you learned and without the things you disliked in the preparation... or maybe the coach said things afterwards - to you or others - which bothered you (like taking more credit than you feel he deserves, asking more money, or proposing further changes you don't want to).

Again, I don't know what went on to further defend Kim (even if I indeed consider her one of the nicest players out there). In Halep's case though I feel it's more the obsession with Darren than anything else, which yes, makes her indirectly & involuntarily "not nice". Cahill helped her. A lot (in a way). But even so, she still gives him a disproportionate amount of credit for her accomplishments, because she doesn't want to acknowledge his shortcomings or bad decisions about her development... while when it comes to Dobre (or Pavel before, perhaps Fissette as well) she underappreciated their contribution.

Anyway... no point dragging her because of it. She's paying the price herself. Without the Darren obsession she would have had more slams (& money) by now, with a few more in the future as well perhaps. Now, I just don't see it happening anymore, because instead of maturing and becoming more independent, she just grows more and more dependent of Darren. Luckily he's not as bad for her as Sumyk was for Garbi. But unluckily he's too far from being a complete coach that could help her maximize her potential.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That you actually believe that Dobre had a big part to play in her victory at Wimbledon is pretty delusional to say the least,he simply was at the right place,at the right time,Cahill did the "heavy lifting",for 3,4 years,it's simply because of her attitude problems that she hasn't won more till now,Dobre is a coach for a player like Dulgheru not a GS winning coach and the future will prove me right.He has the CV of a GS winning coach now,if you are right and he is truly a top level coach like Cahill is,he will have no problem in finding another coaching gig that will bring about similar results.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You don't understand that she would have never have worked with Alexis Castorri without Cahill's advice,she lost 8-10 important matches because of her getting into a bad headspace,she finally has found some sort of way with Alexis and Cahill to get out of it,with Dobre on the OCC she would have lost in 2 sets with Pliskova,how did he help her in the Miami SF or Madrid F.Listen to this and finally understand some things about how good Cahill is.
https://twitter.com/SENBreakfast/status/1191109184361644037

·
7,427 Posts
You don't understand that she would have never have worked with Alexis Castorri without Cahill's advice,she lost 8-10 important matches because of her getting into a bad headspace,she finally has found some sort of way with Alexis and Cahill to get out of it,with Dobre on the OCC she would have lost in 2 sets with Pliskova,how did he help her in the Miami SF or Madrid F.Listen to this and finally understand some things about how good Cahill is.
https://twitter.com/SENBreakfast/status/1191109184361644037
Flagging Cahill's shortcomings doesn't mean dismissing his whole contribution. He has many qualities and helped her here and there. How should I put it.... If you could prepare the best Coq au vin in the world, but you're unable to to make a good desert, does that make you a good cook? A bad cook? It basically means you can't run an entire kitchen, but you could be an invaluable member of that kitchen... you can bring something to the team than noone can... but you can't run the whole thing. This is Cahill. He gives good tactical advice. He has great connections. This all helped Halep a lot... but he can't warm her up for matches (they had to hire Pavel for that). He's a bad sports psychologist... he had to send her to Alexis for that. As soon as she goes back to working with him alone, she doesn't deliver that much... The last years she didn't win anything relevant with him alone at her side (no Pavel, no Thelwall-Jones, no Dobre, no Castorri).

But no point debating now... let's just wait for AO and talk afterwards. As a fan, nobody wants more than me to be wrong (because you may not see things my way, but I do... hence why the stronger desire that I'm wrong, because my window of hope is much narrower).

·
Registered
43 Posts
When Simona split with Darren for a period(a year), she hired Dobre for a that period only. She and Dobre knew Darren will come back, and they will split ways. That time has come, contract with Dobre finished. Everything worked according to plan.
Nothing more here.
Darren is not upset, Simo is not upset, Dobre is not upset.
Stop making drama over nothing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
He can't warm her up for matches,of course not,he is 54 and had dozen of surgeries on his knees,neither can Dobre,as for Pavel i think he is more interested to find the next Tamira Paszek than being a hitting partner/coach,Simona can hire a full time hitting partner to be with her at tournaments,it's her decision to not have one,as she fired Vasile Antonescu before RG,it is also her decision to not train in Australia(Adelaide) in the offseason,Cahill can make all the suggestions he wants it's ultimately her decision as too what she wants to do,as he said before he has to make compromises with her.He is not a good psychologist,sure,that is not his job,Simona stopped working with her romanian sports psychologist in 2016,and he had a very hard time to convince her to work with Castorri,tell me of one top coach who has training or a degree in sports psychology,i certainly don't know of one,maybe i'm wrong on that.And she didn't win anything relevant with him alone by her side,winning RG,Madrid and Rogers Cup in the last two years with him is "nothing",Pavel was at Wimbledon tho,that worked out well,of course you will bring up Beijing 2017 or Australian Open 2018 of course,i disagree that he made a huge difference for her.Simona about Thelwall-Jones: “It was the tournament who put us in touch,” she said. “At the practice desk, they recommended him, I liked him and I kept him.
If I feel good with the person and relaxed on court, I try to hit with the same person every day. But that is not something that happens all of the time."The couple were by no means ‘exclusive’, however. Thelwall-Jones also hit with Rafael Nadal, Ashleigh Barty, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, Kevin Anderson and Marin Cilic during a busy fortnight at Wimbledon".The pair may even get back together before then.“I got the text from her trainer to say, ‘See you next year,’ so we’ll see.” As a parting shot, Halep joked: “Perhaps I should take him to the US Open, no?”Again it is Simona's decision to not have a full time hitting partner,not anybody elses.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Truth is not one poster on this forum has inside info on Simona's team. So saying that Darren did this/Dobre did that/Pavel that/Simona decided that is just conjecture. And it's fabulous the level of cherry picking when speaking about Cahill's "shortcomings".

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
When Simona split with Darren for a period(a year), she hired Dobre for a that period only. She and Dobre knew Darren will come back, and they will split ways. That time has come, contract with Dobre finished. Everything worked according to plan.
Nothing more here.
:) These dudes getting worked up about "poor" Dobre. Just to rag a bit about Halep. It's funny.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Nothing more here.
How did you know he wasn't upset? He got sacked from a player who won a GS with him. How is it not disappointing?

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Do we know if it was Halep who decided to end the coaching relationship or was it Dobre? Her statement even leaves the door open for a future collaboration.

·
7,427 Posts
Holy crap
You really think when Cahill is around she has no hitting partner? Are you this dense?
No need for insults, so I'll only challenge you once: please, do tell who were her quality sparring partners at other tournaments, before or after Wimbledon (unless you go as far back as Pavel)?

You keep bringing up this "not one poster here knows" what's going on, but what do you know to fight people back, as if your truth is the truth. Let's say this is like reading the weather: some see the nearing black clouds and say it'll rain, others have lived so long in the middle of nature that don't even need to see clouds to predict an upcoming rain based on other clues... and then there are some who doubt anyone not bringing 100% proof. I'm just telling you it's gonna rain, I'm telling you which are my clues... you're free to believe it or not. What's the point of the attitude? What's the point of insulting / mocking fellow forumers just because you disagree?

I state my opinion. You're free to state yours. What's left is waiting for next year and see whose prediction was closer to the truth (not that it's a contest as far as I'm concerned).

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
No need for insults, so I'll only challenge you once: please, do tell who were her quality sparring partners at other tournaments, before or after Wimbledon (unless you go as far back as Pavel)?

You keep bringing up this "not one poster here knows" what's going on, but what do you know to fight people back, as if your truth is the truth. Let's say this is like reading the weather: some see the nearing black clouds and say it'll rain, others have lived so long in the middle of nature that don't even need to see clouds to predict an upcoming rain based on other clues... and then there are some who doubt anyone not bringing 100% proof. I'm just telling you it's gonna rain, I'm telling you which are my clues... you're free to believe it or not. What's the point of the attitude? What's the point of insulting / mocking fellow forumers just because you disagree?

I state my opinion. You're free to state yours. What's left is waiting for next year and see whose prediction was closer to the truth (not that it's a contest as far as I'm concerned).
You do realize that you think that dude is some Einstein level sparring partner just because she won Wimbledon. And because they talked about the dude in a more or less PR move. We do not know who was the sparring partner at most of the tournaments she won. Because it's not that important. But you get ridiculous in listing this guy as a proof that Cahill is not prepping or whatever your "Cahill thesis" is. I have no thesis to prove or disprove dude. I'm not going into wild speculations about stuff I have no info. You do that! I'm not saying Cahill is bad, or Dobre is bad, or anything like that. I'm just trying to rein in some of you, that have always spouted opinions based on zero or tenuous info as facts.
About next year, if she wins a GS with Cahill it'll be a fluke, and if she doesn't, it'll prove your thesis. I'm not worried. You're the smartest guy around. Expert weatherman.

·
Registered
7,240 Posts
I think, as a whole, Cahill is a good coach for her, and yeah, how would you know if her warm-ups are good or bad unless you are right there watching them to have an opinion based on actual facts ? It's preposterous to simply assume that such experienced player and coach would not take care to have a proper preparation before the match, or to asseverate, via those essays, after each and every loss, that Halep and her team are totally unaware of her opponents after years on the tour playing them over and over, to the point that they don't even notice when she plays left-handed players. :lol: That UNPREPARED!!!! thing is the biggest TF bollocks ever.

·
7,427 Posts
He reached the end of his contract. I'm not sure that it counts as sacked. But yeah... my English is not the best...
Your sarcasm is very sharp though...

Sacked may not be word, but letting him go now doesn't match the former statements about their future collaboration.

The year is 2019... and I'm getting really tired of these Johnson/Trump-style of statements we've seen all year of manipulating the public by plucking only convenient pieces of the truth that serve one's agenda, while dismissing former evidence of another reality, then trying to bully the press or public who tries to bring up those uncomfortable angles. I'd say you're trying to pull a cheap jedi-mind trick with your "those statements/videos/proofs never existed" stance, but that would still be an elegant approach. The sarcastic mockery of those you disagree with strips it off of any kind of elegance, because it means that deep inside you know it's not really true (or at least you're not sure), and you won't manage to sell your point with hard evidence... so what you're left with is trying to bully/shut the other one's mouth, and hope to get enough support in the process. It's a thirst for conflict so in fashion lately, which already created so much division in US and UK with the recent leaders, which can bring nothing good on the long term. Think about it...

And @Cindy and Kate: call it a waste of time, but having followed Halep, Cahill and many Halep fans over the years, on twitter & instagram, I got the chance to see enough of their warm-up sessions to form an opinion about it. Label it subjective if you want, but to me it's not rocket science to put 2 and 2 together, after watching the quality of tens of their sessions as well as her match-ready level displayed during the collaboration with Pavel or Thelwall-Jones, as opposed to the tournaments of the past 2 years when she didn't have them around. And I think I slip in often enough an "IMO" or "I think", to remind the reader that it's just my opinion. I don't mind divergent opinions... but mocking other users for those divergent opinions can be quite toxic for the forum. At least IMO... :cool:

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
plucking only convenient pieces of the truth that serve one's agenda, while dismissing former evidence of another reality,
Good, at least you know what you're doing. Please tell me why you dismiss Cahill's input at Wimby? And what did Dobre do so fabulous at RG? Also when you say tens of sessions it means at least 20, right? Do you have links to all of that?

·
7,427 Posts
Good, at least you know what you're doing. Please tell me why you dismiss Cahill's input at Wimby? And what did Dobre do so fabulous at RG? Also when you say tens of sessions it means at least 20, right? Do you have links to all of that?
1) I did not dismiss Cahill's input at Wimbly. I'm not responsible for what you read between the lines. On the contrary, I literally acknowledged that match tips is something he's good at, if he would limit himself to that (as opposed to warm-up tips or advice to change things that work, like his advice to drop the Wimbledon winning serve and go for something else during the US swing).

2) I don't think Dobre did anything fabulous at RG. On the contrary almost... It's a title she could have won. I'm not worshiping the guy. I just disagree with the disproportionate worshiping of Cahill and dismissal of Dobre's contribution, who seems to have learned how to adapt the preparation soon enough (basically his record of the pretty short collaboration is one average-run slam and one slam won... still better than Halep's average run at slams with Cahill alone; I'm not counting USO, because Simo pushed Dobre aside in Cahill's favor by then already).

3) Seriously? You want me to go through 3 years of twitter & instagram posts, to find those I didn't even like (because there was nothing to like at them). But try this: check the practice vids in Halep's forum (mostly posted by Bonk), there might be tens of them in there only... and find me at least one that really wows you through Cahill's masterclass warm-up skills.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts