Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4,151 Posts

Expected, but not a great move imo. I really liked that he was getting her to go for her serves more (and beefed up all of her shots in general), something that Cahill is not a fan of :lol:

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Wow didn't Darren say he made a deal with her to keep Dobre or he won't come back? He got totally blindsided. :eek: I guess she hated the coach who helped her beat Serena, because Fissette was dumped after that fantastic season too. What an ungrateful...

·
Registered
81,419 Posts
Not sure if it will work with Darren this time...

·
Registered
14,694 Posts
i don't think it's an obsession with darren, i just think she feels really safe with him
Even I feel safe with Darren when he's on screen.

As for Dobré, if he speaks decent English then he can continue to have a top job on the tour.

There are plenty girls out there who are hacking it without a coach that has his level of pedigree.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Well, he got the crown jewel by winning Wimbledon with Simona. That’s more than anything he could have dreamt of. He will be fine. Half of Romania kids must be picking up tennis racquets to play thanks to Simona.

·
La nuit je mens
86,899 Posts
What's the point of having a Player/Coach changes thread if we get random 15 posts threads about all changes anyway ?

·
always getting what i want
17,712 Posts
Simona's true colours exposed.

·
Registered
10,282 Posts
Wow didn't Darren say he made a deal with her to keep Dobre or he won't come back? He got totally blindsided. :eek: I guess she hated the coach who helped her beat Serena, because Fissette was dumped after that fantastic season too. What an ungrateful...
It always blows my mind when WTA players dump their coaches right after achieving some big success (often the biggest in their respective careers at that point).

Could it be a problem with money? I mean their coaches may ask for a rise, you know, and they might be tight with money ... ? :eek:h:

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
It always blows my mind when WTA players dump their coaches right after achieving some big success (often the biggest in their respective careers at that point).

Could it be a problem with money? I mean their coaches may ask for a rise, you know and they might be tight with money ... ? :eek:h:
This. And even the perceived 'nice' players do it - didn't Clijsters dump hers straight after her first US Open win when she also won the US Open series and had a MASSIVE pay cheque?

·
7,430 Posts

Expected, but not a great move imo. I really liked that he was getting her to go for her serves more (and beefed up all of her shots in general), something that Cahill is not a fan of :lol:
Yeah, I've seen this coming as well... I didn't buy their earlier statements much, but at least I hoped they were right. IMO was just as good as Cahill for herf (I'm not saying who would be better in general), for 100 times less the budget and a lot more heart.]

LOL. I'm pretty sure that statement was PR to some extent. And no, she didn't hate Dobre. I'm sure that's not why she dumped him. It was either a matter of budget (Darren is draining a lot of it) or not wanting to listen to two coaches giving advice (which I can imagine it's tiring, especially if they see different priorities for you). It's not as much a matter of lack of gratitude (now... she was rather ungrateful after Wimbledon from what I saw), but just being mesmerized by Darren and happy to sacrifice a lot (her career included) to have him around.

I started watching WTA again because of her... a lot of my activity on this forum in the first years revolved around her (defending her & her decisions). But basta. I have no faith in their collaboration anymore. She may still produce some good results thanks to her talent and his tactical advice, but he's such an incomplete coach when it comes to warm-ups & motivation, that only sheer luck will bring her another slam IMO. Good luck to her... I hope I'm wrong.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts