Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
7,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's interesting how players act after a match.

By my experience, in practice sessions they normally do sign autographs.

After a match, the winner normally signs all autographs the fans want, in Toronto, most players did with one exception: Vera Zvonareva after her match against Barbara Schett refused to sign any.

Some players don't sign after a loss, which is understandable, that I saw: Kim Clijsters, Amanda Coetzer.

but I think it's very nice from some players that sign autographs after they lost: Barbara Schett, Mary Pierce and Jelena Dokic (yes, you read it right, Jelena signed a lot of autographs after she lost to Vera).

·
Banned
27,238 Posts
Kim signed an auto after she lost....i remember cos i was like "only kim would do that"

my experiences....

the Williams after practice do their best to sign all
Justine did the same BEFORE practice
Jennifer promised me after practice but then i had to go :p
Jelena is really nice...you ask her and she'll sign
same with Daniela
Alyona: you have to catch her at the right time or she has to like you :angel: but shes real cool when shes in a good mood

and the lower ranked players in general are more down to earth so appreciate their fans (Alicia Molik was so nice to me, and Nadia Petrova signed for everyone who asked when she was dripping with sweat after a match)

·
Banned
14,953 Posts
Well when the whole crowd is booing Vera's close calls and shit, I wouldn't sign autographs either.

·
Banned
14,953 Posts
They did.

·
Registered
17,738 Posts
Some players are pretty focused, and win or lose they just want to get off. Vera is very shy BTW.

But I remember at BMH Shino just wanted to get off court after beating Bovina, and as the week went on she became more friendly.

Reactions: Roxers

·
Registered
7,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dava_russianrule said:
Some players are pretty focused, and win or lose they just want to get off. Vera is very shy BTW.

But I remember at BMH Shino just wanted to get off court after beating Bovina, and as the week went on she became more friendly.

actually, I don't know what's in their heads at that moment, they might be not feeling too well because of the heat and just want to get to the locker room, and as I said I absolutely understand when they don't do it after a loss.

I wanted more to emphasize how some players sign after a loss, it's more to praise Babsi, Jelena and Mary.

·
Registered
17,738 Posts
I also like players who take their time to sign. Like Monica, Anna and babsi. They try to sign everyone who wants one before the press packers drive them off.

·
Registered
7,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
dava_russianrule said:
I also like players who take their time to sign. Like Monica, Anna and babsi. They try to sign everyone who wants one before the press packers drive them off.
Monica is indeed very nice to her fans, I saw her in 1999 in Toronto after she lost the final to Martina Hingis and she stayed outside the court for a long time signing autographs.

Babsi will sign as many as people want.

I don't know about Anna, I only saw her in Montreal last year and didn't look for her when she finished because half of the population of the world was waiting for her autograph.

·
Genie Bouchard of TF
110,106 Posts
i think every player should sign autographs
no matter how the score was
because without the fans they wouldn´t earn all this money. and just because of the huge ammount of fans they get contracts with companies, so i think it is part of her "job"

·
Registered
24,737 Posts
i hear monica's really good, but ive only seen her play live once (i know, what kind of fan am i???) and i didn't even think to run down and get one.

anyway-- for the us open, what would you say is the best mode for a top player's atuograph? im not all that concerned, but i'm going to the usopen for only the second time and i've never gotten one before.

thanks in advance for anyone who takes the time to explain this to me... :)

·
Registered
882 Posts
Yeah I think the Players should sign. I mean to them its nothing but for the little kid who has waited all day may be to get the autograph it could be something they never forget.
But I also think there is a time and a place like say if Venus and Serena where out eating in a restrant or if they where out shopping I would not let my kids go up and bother them. As that is there private time away from work and the public. Or at least it should be

·
Registered
7,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
faboozadoo15 said:
i hear monica's really good, but ive only seen her play live once (i know, what kind of fan am i???) and i didn't even think to run down and get one.

anyway-- for the us open, what would you say is the best mode for a top player's atuograph? im not all that concerned, but i'm going to the usopen for only the second time and i've never gotten one before.

thanks in advance for anyone who takes the time to explain this to me... :)

I haven't been to the US Open but I can tell you it all depends on how the courts and especially the practice courts are layout, the popularity of the player and what moment you choose.

Normally, if it's a top player, the best time is during practices, they are relaxed and normally there aren't too many people around (but with some even then is difficult eg Anna).

After a match, in some tournaments you can get near the exit but again, if it's a top player you will have to leave very quickly, probably before the match finishes (I wouldn't do that) to get a front row spot.

then is up to the players, some sign everything, some sign a few, some sign none.

·
Registered
24,737 Posts
i don't know if they would mind that as long as you weren't interrupting their conversation. they would probably rather sign an autograph or two than have people following them or watching them all day.... but i can see what you mean, there's a grey area...

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.