Tennis Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shuai Peng retires from the WGTA Tour

Shuai thanks the Tour Director in an emotional Press Conference

New York City, USA - Shuai Peng has survived many things throughout life. Under the restriction of the Chinese Tennis Association, Peng managed to reach the WGTA Championships, as one of the best eight players on the Tour in Season Five. With three disappointing losses in her most recent tournament, Shuai has decided to say 'goodbye' and 'good luck' to the sport she has loved since a little child.

"I have requested a Press Conference to tell the players and the Tour Director of the Women's Global Tennis Association, that the time has come for me to announce my retirement from the Tour," Shuai said in an emotional speech, which included her parents and coaches as guests.

"I have accomplished many things on this Tour - I reached the semifinals of the Australian Open, and the finals of two grasscourt tournaments. Some of my greatest moments have been victories over Hantuchova, Williams, and Pierce," Peng mentioned. "Although I have had some wonderous moments, I haven't had the time in recent months to continue working hard to become the best I can be.

"I want it to be mentioned that I am not leaving the Tour due to poor results. I haven't had the time, nor the means to work out a plan that will help me to succeed in the most competitive tournaments the sport of tennis has seen."

Shuai had last words to speak: "I would like to thank many people as I leave this chapter in my life. The Tour Director - Dallas. Thankyou for allowing me to play in this wonderful Tour. Thankyou for giving me tips on how to improve my strokes and serve. Venus Williams - we were Doubles partners, back in the day, it seems. Thankyou. The other competitors - thankyou for keeping me entertained, and I hope to see you all in the future."

1 - 2 of 2 Posts