Tennis Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since there is again a good chance that a non slam winner (or finalist for that matter) will end the year ranked number 1 over a winner of 2 slams. I ask the question why not eliminate the slams and have 52 weeks of Eastborne, Dohai, Dubai, Linz, LA, New Haven, Tokyo, etc.. Apparently winning titles with 1 or 2 top players is more important than winning a 2 week tournament with all the top players?

· Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Where did I say that I didn't like Lindsay? I rooted for her vs Venus at Wimby and Serena at the Open. Maybe because I'm not in love with her like some of you I can look at this objectively and say it's freaking nuts!<br />In Jen winning the Australian and the French she had to beat Seles, (a higher ranked Seles at that time), Davenport, and Hingis. In Paris she beat Hingis and Clijsters and 5 other players in each tourney. Playing 4 mathces and 2 top players does in no way stack up!<br />This is what Jenn should do next year to end the year number 1, don't defend the Australian title lose in straight sets in the semis, don't bother to play the French, lose in the semis of the US and Wimbledon and win a bunch of dink titles like Eastbourne. That's what the game is based on everyone remembers who won Eastbourne certainly not the slams!

· Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
first as far as the Australian it does not hold weight with the US Open as far as money and attendance. The US Open yearly is the most attended sporting event in the world.<br />Really it doesn't matter we need more tier 1 ones and less slams so we can have a real number 1!<br />Next year Jen should skip all the slams and use all her time and energy focusing on winning Eastbourne, Linz, Dohai, Sydney, Tokyo, and San Diego because ultimately they are the ones that matter.

· Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
do you realize if the NBA was like tennis the San Antonio Spurs would have won the NBA Title last year rather than getting their collective asses whipped by the Lakers?

· Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
first winning the Chase or whatever we are calling it this year is hardly winning a slam. You win 4 matches to win you win 7 at a slam much different. Winning a bunch of tier 1's or 2's is winning roughly 4 or 5 matches with in most cases getting byes, slams do not provide that. Lindsay did not even reach a final this year and did no better than Jen in any of the slams doing worse in 3 of the 4 doing as well at Wimbledon. Furthermore if you looked surface by surface it's a no contest:<br />Hard: Jen<br />Clay: Jen <br />Grass: even<br />Carpet: Lindsay<br />Where's the comparison?

· Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
why would I not give Jen the edge on clay, she won the French Open! Should we discount that? Grass is even, Eastbourne is a bit of a joke who did Lindsay beat there? They each got to the semis a Wimbledon it's a wash.

· Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
so winning a bunch of dink tournaments in Europe is harder than winning a slam? Then we should eliminate the slams and for that matter the entire tour!<br />Beating Jelena Dokic a couple times does not measure up to winning 2 slams in a year!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.