Tennis Forum banner

Should players still attend the Olympics if it’s scheduled as normal?

• Yes, they should regardless if the WTA tour has resumed by then.

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Yes only if the tour resumed before Olympics.

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • No, they should sit it out.

Votes: 12 48.0%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
53,484 Posts
Useless Thread.
Does anyone REALLY think that the Olympic Games will take place ???
The Olympic Games will be cancelled for sure.

·
Registered
14,542 Posts
It is the Australia Olympic Committee turns

We are now in a position where we can plan with greater certainty.”

AOC plans for postponed Olympic Games

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,093 Posts
Now that the first domino has fallen, I certainly would expect many European National OCs to withdraw this week out of respect for the battle to save lives.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
They really should push it back to 2021. No way in hell I’d want to attend in July with all this mess going on. Olympic Village is known as hookup capital for the Olympians. I can only imagine how many people will be in contact with each other. Ohhh just imagine when all the Olympians are marching in with their country. Hell nooo. Delay it! After it’s done, we will have a second wave of CV coming back to each of our countries. Smh.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
You wouldn't need to quarantine, by then the antibody test will probably be widely avaliable, or at least for rich athletes anyway. If they are not immune, well the vaccine won't be avaliable by then, so guess they could ask for people to cough on them then quarantine..
So what’s the point of keeping players from the Olympics? It may keep people quarantine longer because it would give they something to watch at home.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I simply can't see any realistic way in our current circumstances that the Olympics could take place this year. Common sense is going to prevail. The Olympics will be postponed till at least 2021 but more likely 2022.
postponement of the Tokyo games by a year to July '021 now looks like a near certainty... hopefully they really can be held then. I don't think postponing by 2 years is workable, that's just too long a time to leave the athletes in limbo. And anyway, if things are really so bad that the Olympics can't be held 16 months from now... i'd rather not consider that possibility right now.

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
33,287 Posts
postponement of the Tokyo games by a year to July '021 now looks like a near certainty... hopefully they really can be held then. I don't think postponing by 2 years is workable, that's just too long a time to leave the athletes in limbo. And anyway, if things are really so bad that the Olympics can't be held 16 months from now... i'd rather not consider that possibility right now.

I'm sure they will be able to be held in 2021. :)

My sense is that it might be more practical playing in 2022 as there seems to be more space in the calendar in 2022 than 2021. But that's just a gut feeling and I could very well be wrong about that. I'm sure however if the Olympic community want to postpone to 2021, it will be possible to play the games then and I'm absolutely happy with that. Whatever works for the international sports community is fine for me really. The important thing is that the Olympics do take place. Whether it is in 2021 or 2022 is a matter for them.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
even though olympics is her main goal now, i don't think Halep would go this year under these circumstances, also based upon how she begs other romanian people to stay at home

hope olympics are postponed to next year, and then we'll see

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
It's not written in stone that the the Olympics be held every four years ( except possibly in Greece).
All of the venues are in place and not going away, so just postpone the event till next year.
Unfortunately, many of the soon to be retiring WTA players won't have a chance of playing in their last Olympics.
-
The ancient Olympics was mainly a religious event, held in Olympia from 776 BC to 426 AD, to honor the Greek god Zeus.
Many temples and sports stadiums were built to hold the games and religious ceremonies.
In 426 AD the Christian dictator of Constantinople Theodosius II ordered all temples to the Greek Gods to be destroyed, including those in Olympia, thus ending the games.
(The Parthenon in Athens was saved because it had been converted to a Christian church, but was later destroyed by the Venetians in 1687.)

·
30,815 Posts
They could already say its postponed and that they are trying to find a date for it.

4 weeks to give a date is gonna be complicated, everyone (NOCs, sporting organizations, Tokyo city, athletes, etc.) needs to cooperate

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
From the latest statement from IOC, looks like it's gonna be postponed to next year. But I'm sure Paris remains on the same schedule.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Just announced that the Olympics have been postponed. Likely to 2021 but the date hasn’t been chosen yet.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts