Tennis Forum banner

Should players still attend the Olympics if it’s scheduled as normal?

• Yes, they should regardless if the WTA tour has resumed by then.

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Yes only if the tour resumed before Olympics.

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • No, they should sit it out.

Votes: 12 48.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the Japanese Olympics Committee it looks like the Japanese government is adamant in hosting Tokyo 2020 as scheduled. However many are forecasting the coronavirus situation to extend well into late 2020.

It would be a interesting scenario if WTA/ATP decided to further extend the halt of the tours past August, while the Olympics would still go on during the hiatus. Would players go to Tokyo without any match preparation in the last 5 months? Would they be risking their health doing so? Who do you see most likely deciding against attending the event for their health?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
it's possible that the COVID panic will fizzle out by late July... i've read from credible sources that the fatality rate of the disease is actually far below what is being reported in the mainstream media.

On the other hand, it's also possible that slowing the epidemic and coming out of the panic will be a protracted process, and that Tokyo '020 won't be held on time... i suppose that Japan and the IOC are just trying to keep their options open. Why should they cancel this far in advance when there's a chance, even if only a small one, that things might improve... they have nothing to gain by shutting down 4-plus months before the start.

As far as the tennis event though, not sure it will go ahead even if Tokyo starts on time. I can definitely see Wimbledon postponing by a month and taking that calendar slot.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
It is not like any information is hidden for them. They re old enough to decide for themselves.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I don’t think the Olympics are important enough to jeopardize your health over. When you’re laying on your deathbed because you’re unable to breathe because of the covid-19 associated pneumonia you acquired from being out of quarantine, then you will remember the olympics as just another tournament and nothing else

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
There could be restrictions by that time when many players will be not allowed to go by local authorities and all action will be closed. Anyway, players with breathing problems like asthma should not go for their own protection anyway.

·
Registered
10,678 Posts
I don’t think the Olympics are important enough to jeopardize your health over. When you’re laying on your deathbed because you’re unable to breathe because of the covid-19 associated pneumonia you acquired from being out of quarantine, then you will remember the olympics as just another tournament and nothing else

I think that these athletes are mostly young & fit enough to not experience severe symptoms. But their coaches, physios etc. might be not. They can choose to self-quarantine themselves while in Japan already to make sure they don't infect anyone that is susceptible. In China there are no new cases in Hubei already (albeit there are still thousands of people in hospitals recovering).

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I mean, athletes went to Brazil when the Zika virus was in full swing. I know Covid-19 is a lot more severe, but if it dies down before Summer, I think they’ll still try to go through with it. Probably won’t allow crowds into the arenas but so be it.

I know that people work their entire lives for this opportunity, and their window of peak opportunity is short.

Hell, if I’m an athlete, I’m saying quarantine me for 30 days before the Olympics alone in Japan to ensure I don’t have the virus, do the same with all staff, and only let athletes, judges and staff into the arenas. Crowds are nice but so is the once in a lifetime opportunity (for many) to win a gold medal.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
The problem will not be the players health, they are mostly young and at least from a health perspective they will be just fine.
The problem is the spread of the virus for all countries involved, mainly Japan. There would be no point in hosting such an enormous event without public. People are supposed to flight from all over the world to see it, interact with each other and go back to their countries making for an huge source of dissemination, and even if there´s no public at all, which I think it´s not possible anyway, the players could spred the virus.

It´s not about titles and sport efforts, it´s about safeguarding public health in all over the world because of the millons of people who could be exposed to this threat because of this. I don´t think it should be cancelled right now, but if the pandemic is not controlled by the middle of the year, it really should

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Its a too big event to carry out in this circumstances imo. Move it to 2021, there is no big competition to interfere next year.

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
33,287 Posts
I simply can't see any realistic way in our current circumstances that the Olympics could take place this year. Common sense is going to prevail. The Olympics will be postponed till at least 2021 but more likely 2022.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just stop it, there is no way the olympics will go ahead this year.... Most competitors cannot train beacause of lockdowns, qualification events are impossible to be held, the global situation is terrible. Why the IOC still delays the decision is beyond me. It's irresponsible actually

·
Registered
113,203 Posts

·
Registered
14,945 Posts
The problem will not be the players health, they are mostly young and at least from a health perspective they will be just fine.
The problem is the spread of the virus for all countries involved, mainly Japan. There would be no point in hosting such an enormous event without public.
It's not just that but also the fact that, already atletes are being severely disrupted in their preparations between now and the supposed time (July). So even if the world becomes corona free in July, by then too many athletes will be just coming out of various forms of quarantines and other restrictive situations — instead of coming out of gyms, preseasons, and pre tournaments.

·
Registered
11,855 Posts
Hell, if I’m an athlete, I’m saying quarantine me for 30 days before the Olympics alone in Japan to ensure I don’t have the virus, do the same with all staff, and only let athletes, judges and staff into the arenas. Crowds are nice but so is the once in a lifetime opportunity (for many) to win a gold medal.
You wouldn't need to quarantine, by then the antibody test will probably be widely avaliable, or at least for rich athletes anyway. If they are not immune, well the vaccine won't be avaliable by then, so guess they could ask for people to cough on them then quarantine..

·
30,815 Posts
They have to postpone the games for next year, there's nothing else to do at this point! The decision is already late

What is the point of celebrating Olympics when the whole world is still scared and concerned about Coronavirus (let's not forget about 2nd waves...). Nobody would give 2 f*cks about who is winning medals, when people are dying, the national health services are overload and we are all in quarantine. News are 24/7 about Coronavirus, nobody would care about some privileged athletes.

Also the IOC and the Olympic Movement will lose a lot of credibility and prestige if they do go ahead. I think their image is already badly affected with not deciding to postpone yet, the clock is literally ticking, they have to decided ASAP

1 - 20 of 42 Posts