Tennis Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
or should people be left to do their own fighting?

Just a little question that has been bugging me. I have always thought of whether larger and more powerful countries should become involved in other countries civil wars or should they mind their own business. I haven't decided on my opinion yet - I suppose it would be a good thing but then nations may get annoyed and irritated by larger nations acting as a buttinsky.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
34,218 Posts
Of course for decades the US and Soviets provoked civil wars (aka proxy wars) to let mostly non-white peoples do the dying for them, the opposite sort of intervention than you mean. (And some of these "outlived their usefulness" to the superpowers and festered for years thereafter, even when the Soviet Union was kaput). The other question is whether it's a civil war, a defacto attempt @ domination by a neighbor (like Liberia's meddling in Sierra Leone), a war of liberation (such as East Timor's break with Indonesia) or whatever. Now if a country like the US propped up a dictator (like Suharto for 3 decades in the last case), we can't morally just walk away, IMO.

·
Banned
4,078 Posts
In some cases, i think they're certainly justified in stepping in. i think they were right to stop genocide in the former Yugoslavia. in other cases, maybe they shouldn't get involved. Truly, i think it depends on the circumstances.

·
Banned
1,735 Posts
I have mixed feelings.
On the one hand I ask the question: should a country (The US in particular) put it's lives and resources at risk for any purpose other than its own self interest?

On the other hand, if a country has the power to prevent people from being slaughtered by another group, should it intervene?

If not, why not apply that to everything in life? If a bully is killing people weaker than him, why not just let him continue? Why get involved?
Morality? Does that even enter the picture?

Also, why was stopping the genocide in Yugoslavia so important as opposed to stopping genocide elsewhere?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts